What do you think about the translations?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think of the translations of Battle for Wesnoth?

They are all good (10p)
8%
They are good, but there's space for improvement (9p)
8%
They are mostly good, but some have medium mistakes (8p)
4%
They are good, considering that this is a free game (7p)
14%
They are average (6p)
2%
They are average, some languaes/words have big mistakes (5p)
6%
They are bad, but there are some languaes that are mostly done correct (4p)
4%
They are bad, but there are few languaes that are mostly done right. (3p)
No votes
They are very bad, but they could be worse (2p)
2%
They couldn't be worse (1p)
No votes
I only play english, so i don't kow if others are correct
46%
I don't know which option to choose
4%
There are other translations of Wesnoth than English?
2%

Total votes: 50

martenzo

What do you think about the translations?

Post by martenzo »

The question is clear. By the way if some words are a little 'fuzzy', you should tell.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I expect some of the errors or inconsistencies in the translations are because the original English text is inconsistent/ambiguous. I have caught a lot of these and my work will be available in a couple of weeks. I have less than 300 lines to go, but I left the difficult ones till last.

This should help many of the different foreign-language translations, unless the translators made changes as significant as the ones I have made while they worked through the text. I would be interested to know if any translators have done this.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

translation isn't just about correctness
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I'm puzzled by this poll. It seems to be limited only to people who are fluent in all supported languages. Surely there aren't very many of those. People who are fluent only in two or three or five different languages aren't going to be able to comment on all the translations, which is what this poll seems to be asking about. With Russian, for example, I don't even remember all the letters, and would be lucky to be able to pick out more than a dozen words. I'm certtainly not qualified to comment on how well done the Russian translation is.

It seems like it would be better to ask about the translations that people use, and then ask for them to mention which translations they have in mind if their vote is anything but "perfection" (or at least "adequacy").
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Simons Mith wrote:I have caught a lot of these and my work will be available in a couple of weeks. I have less than 300 lines to go, but I left the difficult ones till last.
While this is appreciated, I hope you have been keeping your list of changes synchronized with current CVS. If not, the devs may be reluctant to merge your changes with the extensive changes in CVS over the last few months. Synchronizing conflicting changes is hard, painstaking work, and does not even earn the rewards that subediting does.
I would be interested to know if any translators have done this.
My en_GB translation has some fixes which haven't made it back into the en_US base yet. The German and Swedish translations also have a great word for "chaotic" which means "afraid of the light". But on the whole, most translators have so far tried to stick as closely to the original as possible.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

[cvs synchronisation] I'm going to reconcile the whole lot against the latest version once I've finished the first pass. I don't think I could have kept up while this was a work in progress, and it's actually been much easier to work against an old string database even though that means some of my changes will instantly be obsolete. Even if as much as 10% of the strings have been altered - well, if they've been updated and corrected then my adjustments will just be duplicate corrections, so dropping them will be not great loss.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Great. There is a string freeze starting on Monday 28 March, it would be good if made your changes available by then (and preferably a few days earlier). A partial list would still be very useful.

Alternately, you could wait until the string freeze and use that period to synch your changes with CVS, but then your suggested fixes won't be made until the version after the next one.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

So who is the multi-lingual genius who was able to vote 'they are all good'? :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Probably not someone in USA.
Geez, 9 people that plays only in english, I don't want to brag about anything, but I have played at least on 4 languages til now....
english, portuguese, spanish and italian.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

Make that 10...I only play in English....
Victory to those who do not fear death!
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Deathtenks wrote:Make that 10...I only play in English....
So do I until the Finnish translation is complete (not to be seen anytime near in the future unless someone else besides me starts doing it too ;))
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

Make that 10...I only play in English....
Make that 11... RPGs/fantasy in languages other than English sounds to me like a Mass in vernacular to a conservative Catholic.

silvermane
Tux2B

About translation

Post by Tux2B »

French translation is quiet good, but I have some things to say about translation et languages (I'm sorry if my English is bad, I don't speak that language well):
° First, Wesnoth is translated into Bask (euskara): why not then in Brittan, Frison, Corsican, occitan...
° Secondly, about the Hungarian translation: there YES wroten in case of IGEN
° Why are most campaigns not translated?
° WHY IS THIS FORUM ONLY IN ENGLISH! I REALLY CAN'T UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: About translation

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tux2B wrote:° WHY IS THIS FORUM ONLY IN ENGLISH! I REALLY CAN'T UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!
Because most of us can't speak other languages!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
xtifr

Re: About translation

Post by xtifr »

Tux2B wrote:First, Wesnoth is translated into Bask (euskara): why not then in Brittan, Frison, Corsican, occitan...
Because nobody has volunteered to do those translations.
Tux2B wrote:Secondly, about the Hungarian translation: there YES wroten in case of IGEN
You should take that up with the Hungarian translators, preferably in the translation forum.
Tux2B wrote:Why are most campaigns not translated?
Because nobody has volunteered to do the necessary work. If you'd like to volunteer, I'm sure the translation teams would be happy to have you.
Tux2B wrote:WHY IS THIS FORUM ONLY IN ENGLISH!
Because English is the most common second language in the world. When Turks meet Swedes, they will most likely communicate in English. When Japanese meet Kenyans, English is most likely their only common language. Wesnoth has an international audience. There is no universal language, but in the world today, English is as close as it gets.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.