UMCs with "campaign/strategic map" style solution? Seasons?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Scaeb

UMCs with "campaign/strategic map" style solution? Seasons?

Post by Scaeb »

Hello, I'm revisiting Wesnoth after -- OMG -- more than five years, just short of my 10-year anneversary here on the forums.

I was wondering if there are any campaigns that use a "strategic map" kind of solution, where the map engine is modded to be a strategic map, where the units stand for armies, etc. and when two units "clash" that is intercepted and a tactical map with the unmodded engine is started up?

I was also wondering whether you are aware of scenarios or campaigns which make use of dynamic terrain modifications to reflect seasons (rather than times of day).

Keep on creating!
Heindal

Re: UMCs with "campaign/strategic map" style solution? Seasons?

Post by Heindal »

There is a lot of development in multiplayer.

Armies: AutoTactics https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=645863
But there are many more concepts, just browse through the multiplayer scenarios and mods.

Seasons: there is for example the Season Changer Mod by papasmurf https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51067
I`m interested in this as I made a compareable solution in my campaign Strange Legacy, also considering weather effects (such as rainfall and snow).

Weather effects has been done by several developers, the concept is to make an own kind of time-schedules with rainfall etc.
One of the coolest examples is "To Lands Unknown" by inferno8.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

I think I never ever played multiplayer :-)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Most multiplayer scenarios can also be played as single player.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Scaeb wrote: January 12th, 2020, 1:49 pm Hello, I'm revisiting Wesnoth after -- OMG -- more than five years, just short of my 10-year anneversary here on the forums.

I was wondering if there are any campaigns that use a "strategic map" kind of solution, where the map engine is modded to be a strategic map, where the units stand for armies, etc. and when two units "clash" that is intercepted and a tactical map with the unmodded engine is started up?
I haven't played it in a while, but I think Bad Moon Rising does that to a limited extent - there's a "bigmap" where your unit (army) travels, and sometimes an enemy unit (army) can appear which attacks you, and then a new scenario starts. (But mostly the bigmap is just used to travel to named locations.)
Scaeb wrote: January 12th, 2020, 1:49 pm I was also wondering whether you are aware of scenarios or campaigns which make use of dynamic terrain modifications to reflect seasons (rather than times of day).
Have you tried "Dark Forecast"? (It's a mainline map, not UMC.)

There's also Cities of the Frontier, although I'm not sure how well it is working at the moment - you might want to try the version uploaded just a few days ago in this post, which is supposed to fix some bugs with it.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

There's also A New Order, where the second half of the campaign uses hub maps, but nothing really happens on those. You get some loyal units sometimes and you pick what order you do different scenarios, or even do optional ones, but that's about it.