Fungus terrain bug

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 66
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Fungus terrain bug

Post by gaojicainiao »

Is this a bug?
3.jpg
There is no highest defence limit on the mushroom grove for orcs!
Offline for a long time.
User avatar
EarthCake
Posts: 372
Joined: March 29th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Location: The Wall

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by EarthCake »

Yes, there is.
Снимак екрана направљен 2019-06-25 21-24-28.png
It is 8. from the top.
User avatar
octalot
Developer
Posts: 525
Joined: July 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by octalot »

I'd vote for considering it a bug.

The issue is the terrain's properties, not the unit's properties. For forest-on-hills terrains, such as Hh^Fms, the forest overlay ^Fms takes the best defence of (forest or the underlying terrain), but the similar concept of fungus-on-hills using ^Uf takes a fungus-only property, ignoring the base terrain.
User avatar
gaojicainiao
Posts: 66
Joined: August 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Location: 中华人民共和国(The People's Republic of China)
Contact:

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by gaojicainiao »

EarthCake wrote: June 25th, 2019, 7:46 pm Yes, there is.
Orcs defense on fungus
It is 8. from the top.
No,not that.I mean "Defence Cap"
Defence cap2.png
For example,Cavalrymans have the Defence Cap in forest,their defence can only be 30% in forest,but orcs have no Defence Cap in mushroom grove!
defence cap.png
defence cap.png (81.41 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
So orcs should have 50% defence on that mixed terrain type.Don't you think so?
best defence.png
Offline for a long time.
User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 741
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by josteph »

It is not a mixed terrain. That terrain is fungus, not mix-of-fungus-and-hills, and orcs get 40% defense on fungus. There is no bug in the computation of terrain defense there. The bug here is that the terrain sprite implies it's a mixed terrain, even though it's equivalent to regular fungus.

I guess we should make that terrain a mixed terrain to match the sprite, and then go through mainline and replace instances of that terrain with regular fungus (to avoid breaking balance).
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by sergey »

josteph wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:35 am It is not a mixed terrain. That terrain is fungus, not mix-of-fungus-and-hills, and orcs get 40% defense on fungus. There is no bug in the computation of terrain defense there. The bug here is that the terrain sprite implies it's a mixed terrain, even though it's equivalent to regular fungus.

I guess we should make that terrain a mixed terrain to match the sprite, and then go through mainline and replace instances of that terrain with regular fungus (to avoid breaking balance).
I think it should be considered as a mixed fungus terrain bug, since the hex code is Hh^Uf. It was fixed and then reverted. The issue is still opened #1388
Last edited by sergey on July 15th, 2019, 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
User avatar
octalot
Developer
Posts: 525
Joined: July 17th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Awkward orcs

Post by octalot »

josteph wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:35 am I guess we should make that terrain a mixed terrain to match the sprite, and then go through mainline and replace instances of that terrain with regular fungus (to avoid breaking balance).
It would need one new sprite, but how about:
  • change the sprite for the ^Uf and ^Ufi overlay to have a graphic that completely fills the hex without showing any of the base terrain, so that it doesn't look like a mixed terrain. Old maps look a bit different, but the stats are the same.
  • add new overlay codes that use the current sprite, and are mixed terrains
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by sergey »

I think we should read this topic before moving forward viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40753
octalot wrote: July 14th, 2019, 4:21 pm It would need one new sprite, but how about:
  • change the sprite for the ^Uf and ^Ufi overlay to have a graphic that completely fills the hex without showing any of the base terrain, so that it doesn't look like a mixed terrain. Old maps look a bit different, but the stats are the same.
  • add new overlay codes that use the current sprite, and are mixed terrains
That is backward compatible, but it will be confusing IMO. I think we should make fungus similar to forest:
- worse movement, best defense
- change all maps, replace any terrain + fungus to flat + fungus
- almost all units have flat movement cost equal or lower than fungus movement cost, movement balance won't be affected. there are only several exceptions, I think their fungus movement should be set to flat movement.
- units that have flat defense higher than fungus defense must get defense cap similar to cavalry forest cap
- notify UMC authors about the change. propose them to make the same changes as for mainline (update maps and units) and verify that their custom code is not broken because of the map and units changes.
All mainline units with fungus movement costs lower than flat:
All mainline units with flat defense higher than fungus:
Pros:
- mainline balance is not affected
- intuitive logic - fungus works similarly to forest
Cons:
- potential regression in UMC
- right after the changes all maps will have flat+fungus, other terrain+fungus is not used. however, the new functionality could be used for future map updates

P.S. For swimming units I think it makes sense to increase fungus defense from 20% to 30% instead of fungus defense cap (all merfolk, Cuttle Fish, Sea Serpent, Kraken (Dead Water), Sea Orc (Heir to the Throne), Crab Man (Under the Burning Suns)). We could analyze impact on the mainline campaigns before making this change. We could also ask community if they see any problems this change may cause in campaigns and multiplayer. For the default era multiplayer I think such minor merfolk buff will be a good change.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by sergey »

@josteph @octalot
I would like to work on the issue with the approach I described if you don't mind. Post any objections or suggestions please.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 741
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by josteph »

@sergey I haven't had time to review your proposal carefully, but it sounds like you're proposing a major change: change the stats of the existing terrain code, change all maps in mainline, ask all UMC authors to change their maps, change some unit stats... on the face of it I would prefer a backward compatible solution, keep the stats of the current terrain code unmodified and add a new terrain code with new new stats (that's what octalot suggested, right?), and then map authors can go through their maps at leisure and start switching over to the mixed-terrain flavor of fungus. Also, this is the Users' Forum, try asking on github or on one of the development forums, otherwise some devs might miss your question.
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by sergey »

@josteph yes, my approach requires much more research and coding comparing to what @octalot suggested. However, it seems confusing to me if at the end there will be both single fungus terrain and mixed fungus terrain. I posted my idea to discord development chat.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 741
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by josteph »

sergey wrote: July 16th, 2019, 11:00 am However, it seems confusing to me if at the end there will be both single fungus terrain and mixed fungus terrain.
I'm not sure it's a problem, but even if it is, we could first of all do octalot's suggestion and then deprecate the single fungus terrain, so we'll be moving gradually in the right direction, and not break backward compatibility.
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by sergey »

You will either drop the single fungus terrain at some point (break compatibility) or preserve both single and mixed fungus (which is not user friendly imo). Or you could leave it as is, this option was supported by several people from the old discussion thread by the way.

In my opinion, fungus should be always mixed type of terrain because it looks like a second layer on top of the base terrain. Similarly to the forest terrain which is always mixed. I understand that there are different point of views. There is even an opinion that mixed terrains are worse than single (all terrains were single in the old versions of the game).

Giant fungus is something like a tree for me. That makes me think that fungus and forest should follow the same rules. The only reason why I didn't know that fungus ignores base terrains is my lack of gaming experience. There is another extreme - people who know the game very well and get used to the single fungus terrain, so they don't pay attention to the forest vs fungus contradiction.

I performed some investigation and as I understand forest was gradually moved from single terrain to always mixed terrain. I think developers forgot to make the same transition for the fungus terrain. Fun fact - fungus images are located in the forest directory https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... hrooms.png.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
User avatar
josteph
Developer
Posts: 741
Joined: August 19th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by josteph »

sergey wrote: July 16th, 2019, 12:23 pm You will either drop the single fungus terrain at some point (break compatibility) or preserve both single and mixed fungus (which is not user friendly imo).
The purpose of deprecation is to make incompatible changes in the least disruptive way possible. If you think the existing terrain code should be removed or changed, the least disruptive way to do this is first to deprecate it for one release cycle and then to remove or change it at some point afterwards. As to me, like I said, I'm with octalot: keep the existing terrain code and its stats unchanged, add a new terrain code with a new sprite and new stats. We could even remove the existing terrain code from the map editor so people wouldn't create new maps with the non-mixed terrain fungus, if we like, but frankly I see no reason to remove the existing terrain code completely, that would just break old maps for no good reason.
sergey wrote: July 16th, 2019, 12:23 pm Or you could leave it as is, this option was supported by several people from the old discussion thread by the way.
For this we'll still need a new sprite.
User avatar
sergey
Posts: 473
Joined: January 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Re: Fungus terrain bug

Post by sergey »

josteph wrote: July 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm The purpose of deprecation is to make incompatible changes in the least disruptive way possible.
I understand the purpose of deprecation. My point is that changing single fungus to always mixed fungus would be much more user friendly than keeping both of the types.
josteph wrote: July 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm frankly I see no reason to remove the existing terrain code completely, that would just break old maps for no good reason.
The reason is to keep the game user friendly. If you will keep old maps with old codes and create new codes that will make both single fungus and mixed fungus present in the game.

At this point we already repeated our arguments several times. I understand your point of view and you arguments make sense. Let's wait for other people to join the discussion and share their opinions.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Post Reply