Can't find people to play with

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChrisSkyRo

Can't find people to play with

Post by ChrisSkyRo »

Can you guys tell me what is the most played version of The Battle for Wesnoth and at what time I can find more players (don't forget to mention the time zone) ?
EarthCake

Re: Can't find people to play with

Post by EarthCake »

The most played version is 1.14.7, or total 1.14, and there are most players at 18 UTC. (At least I think it should be, can't tell when here is night)
Last edited by EarthCake on July 17th, 2019, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

All public games (ones that allow spectators) are recorded on https://replays.wesnoth.org/

There's a lot more games on 1.14 than 1.12. As for what time has the most players, I suggest looking through the last few days of replays and considering which game style you like to play.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I think that, the problem is 1.14 server has mandatory registration now, which limits number of players, adding a significant barrier to online play. However perhaps you should create game instead of waiting for somebody else to do it, it should work.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Exactly! There are some people that enjoy playing Wesnoth, but they don't want to register to play multiplayer, so they can't.
It should be the same as in 1.12, where people could freely play multiplayer without registering.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If someone really doesn't want to create a forum account, then that's of course up to them. It takes about a minute though, so it's not a significant barrier in any sense of the word.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

EarthCake wrote: May 23rd, 2019, 7:58 pm It should be the same as in 1.12, where people could freely play multiplayer without registering.
What do you propose to do about the spam problem that caused us to require registration in the first place?
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I do not know about any spam problem. Can you tell me more about it?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The problem wasn't really spam so much as our multiplayer server software can only ban by IP address, which is trivially bypassed and meant that it was effectively impossible to keep problematic users off the server. Requiring a forum account means that bans are not able to be bypassed simply by changing your IP address on a VPN or proxy. Additionally, it is possible for more than one person to have the same IP address, so banning by IP can also result in other people unintentionally being prevented from being able to join.
Byron

Post by Byron »

I've never played multi-player, but I did spend one night observing several games.
The chat was so crude, vulgar, & homophobic that I had no desire to sully myself by joining.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Byron wrote: May 24th, 2019, 6:56 pm I've never played multi-player, but I did spend one night observing several games.
The chat was so crude, vulgar, & homophobic that I had no desire to sully myself by joining.
That kind of behavior is definitely against the Community Guidelines, so reporting those players either via PM here or from the server with /query report <message> is encouraged :)

We can't address problems that we don't know exist and aren't told about.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Pentarctagon wrote: May 24th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Byron wrote: May 24th, 2019, 6:56 pm I've never played multi-player, but I did spend one night observing several games.
That kind of behavior is definitely against the Community Guidelines, so reporting those players either via PM here or from the server with /query report <message> is encouraged :)

Those people may know each other and they are familiar with that behavior. If they said something that was vulgar to you, surely, report them, but please note that if they didn't address you, they might know each other and are known with that behavior.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

EarthCake wrote: May 24th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Pentarctagon wrote: May 24th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Those people may know each other and they are familiar with that behavior. If they said something that was vulgar to you, surely, report them, but please note that if they didn't address you, they might know each other and are known with that behavior.
Hence the exception:
If you put a password on your game and disable Observers, so that you are sure that only people you know are okay with your behavior will see it, then feel free to behave however you wish while playing the game.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Pentarctagon wrote: May 24th, 2019, 1:37 am If someone really doesn't want to create a forum account, then that's of course up to them. It takes about a minute though, so it's not a significant barrier in any sense of the word.
I have just remembered something. There are some kids that play this game, however forum registration doesn't allow (not that this cannot be breaken though) to join if you are not at least 13 years old.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

EarthCake wrote: July 17th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Pentarctagon wrote: May 24th, 2019, 1:37 am If someone really doesn't want to create a forum account, then that's of course up to them. It takes about a minute though, so it's not a significant barrier in any sense of the word.
I have just remembered something. There are some kids that play this game, however forum registration doesn't allow (not that this cannot be breaken though) to join if you are not at least 13 years old.
We require registration on the MP server to prevent spam. Registration requires the registrant to declare they're age >13 because of COPPA.