Novice campaign feedback

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mxb2001

Novice campaign feedback

Post by mxb2001 »

Well I've attempted all 4 of the mainline Novice camp's and these are my impressions:

1. The Southern Guard attempted first because of the 4 listed as novice this was the shorter of the two that actually defaulted to beginner diff. Lucky too. This is GORGEOUS! Ravishing tolkienesque diallogue, wonderful artwork, great classic plot. Admittedly the one scen where you have to go underground and fight a beholder and revenant in a narrow dark cave right at the start was a shock but everyone's gotta lose sometime, eh...

2. Orcish Incursion not too memorable but a decent intro to a longer campaign.

3. Tale of Two Brothers, quite nice although the whole brothers drama wasn't very well done, but probably good enough for a wargame anyways : ) The step up to medium diff wasn't too bad, the scenarios were easy making it more of a novice campaign still.

4. Heir to the Throne, a long one that defaults to medium diff. so last tried of the 4. I am not too enthused about this one. Started at med diff and got as far as Siege Elensefar and realized it was impossible to pass that one (tried a dozen times). So I've restarted this one with the diff turned to beginner and it's been much more enjoyable although I've only gotten to Muff Malal right now, but at least this time I may actually be able to use the scen to gain xp instead of %$^%$ing running for my damn life! Hopefully after this one I'll be in good enough shape (actually have gold and level 2 units!) to try Siege again.
01/01/01
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Novice campaign feedback

Post by beetlenaut »

Yeah, the difficulty ramps up pretty fast at Siege of Elensefar. There have been lots of threads about it and how to beat it. The main thing most people agree on is that you do need close to 200 gold and several level-2 units. But, if you keep playing Wesnoth, you will eventually be able to beat it on Challenging without breaking a sweat. I promise!

For future reference though, you can change the difficulty level after a campaign has already started. Just load a start of scenario save file (the one with no number or "Auto Save" in its name) , and select the Change Difficulty checkbox at the bottom of the load screen.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Novice campaign feedback

Post by josteph »

The South Guard has received dialog and gameplay changes in the soon-to-be-released 1.14.6. Hopefully they'll only have made it better in your eyes. :)