Wesnoth 1.14 on Android

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: Wesnoth 1.14 on Android

Post by BTIsaac »

mthree wrote: October 28th, 2019, 6:25 pm I've looked, but couldn't find any games. I've even tried to show the hidden files - but still nothing.
I'm going to guess when you were prompted to download game files, you chose "internal storage" instead of "SD card". This means all game data is now in the app's own internal storage. This means all game files are saved in a part of the phone that you cannot access, at least not as a regular user. Maybe you can find the files with root access, but i don't know anything about that.
lutze79

Post by lutze79 »

I Have exactly the same problem. I deinstalled 1.14.9 and installed 1.14.7 an it works again. Can anyone help?
otzenpunk wrote: November 1st, 2019, 11:57 pm After the automatic update to 1.14.9 via Play Store, the app repeatedly fails to download the language pack with the message
As a consequence, of course I can't use any language besides English, but I also get dropped to the Game Control Settings wizard on every start.
---

I have the same problem. Export failed...
I exported the savefiles last time with 1.14.7 before i updated to 1.14.9. But the Program can´t find the wesnoth_saves.zip!

Can anyone help?
mthree wrote: October 27th, 2019, 5:00 pm Hi All,

I've looked the web for this, but was not able to find anything really tangent.

I am playing this game on my android device - I asked to install it and move the data to SD card.
When I look into my files on this phone, I can't seem to find any saved games files on my SD card.
When the game start and I go into the configuration, I can't seem to export any saved files "export failed"

I bought a new device, but first, it asks me to DL the game. I am not sure if that's normal. My goal would be to play BfW on my new device with the same saved game data.

Is it possible and how can I do this?

Thank you,
wealthe

installation problem about android port

Post by wealthe »

i download the app on google play, open it ,then download packages in app, but minutes later it alter " Error writing to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/it.alessandropira.wesnoth114/files/data/core/music/siege_of_laurelmor.ogg: Unexpected end of stream"
i have tried to download these package on sourceforge by myself and copy them to the path above, but the app will clean them when it runs

so, how to solve the problem? i just want to play the game on my phone. if possible , solution with picture would be better
thanks a lot!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: installation problem about android port

Post by Pentarctagon »

wealthe wrote: November 6th, 2019, 5:00 am i download the app on google play, open it ,then download packages in app, but minutes later it alter " Error writing to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/it.alessandropira.wesnoth114/files/data/core/music/siege_of_laurelmor.ogg: Unexpected end of stream"
i have tried to download these package on sourceforge by myself and copy them to the path above, but the app will clean them when it runs

so, how to solve the problem? i just want to play the game on my phone. if possible , solution with picture would be better
thanks a lot!
I've moved your post to the Android support thread.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
nicolas8675

Post by nicolas8675 »

Is there any way to get the base campaigns from original wesnoth onto the phone edition? I've looked in the add ons sections but they're not there and I don't know if they're supposed to be installed at the get go.
otzenpunk

Post by otzenpunk »

otzenpunk wrote: November 1st, 2019, 11:57 pm After the automatic update to 1.14.9 via Play Store, the app repeatedly fails to download the language pack with the message
After the recent update, the problem is fixed. Thank you very much to whoever did this, probably alep. :)
nicolas8675 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 5:22 am Is there any way to get the base campaigns from original wesnoth onto the phone edition? I've looked in the add ons sections but they're not there and I don't know if they're supposed to be installed at the get go.
Normally, you should have been prompted if you want to install them, at the first start of the game. If you've missed that, you should be able to get into the app configuration by clicking the "change configuration" button on the splash screen, whenever you start the app, right before the original game starts.

A menu "device configuration" should appear, whose last option (scroll down) is named "select packages to download".
gedakc

Post by gedakc »

# PROBLEM

Unable to play Battle for Wesnoth due to "Error downloading data from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... p/download"

Like many others on this forum I was also unable to play wesnoth-on-android because when I tried to start the game I received the following error message:

Code: Select all

Error downloading data from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth-on-android/files/1.14.5/datafiles/wesnoth_essentials-1.14.5.zip/download
# BACKGROUND

My Phone is a Motorola MotoG 2nd Generation with Android 4.4.4 KitKat. I also have a 32 GB microSD card installed.

Initially I installed [**Battle for Wesnoth** v1.14.5-53 from F-Droid](https://f-droid.org/en/packages/it.ales ... esnoth114/).

However I was unable to play the game due to the above mentioned "Error downloading..."

From some more searching I discovered the [**Battle for Wesnoth Android Port**](https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth-on-android/) project website so I tried to install the latest [wesnoth-1.14.9-57.apk](https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... k/download) file. However this failed to run on my phone.

Due to this I decided to go back to try to get version 1.14.5 working.

From some more searching I found this forum and @alep, Android Port Maintainer, had provided a tip on how to work around the issue in this [forum post](https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p640640).

Since my phone did not have a "/sdcard/" location I guessed that perhaps the location is specific to the Android version. This guess turned out to be the key to figuring out how to work around the "Error downloading" problem.

# ANDROID 4.4.4 KITKAT LOCATIONS

The following "sdcard" locations are important and I think are specific to the version of Android (4.4.4 in my case):

`/storage/emulations/0/` --- default file storage location "/sdcard/"
`/storage/sdcard0/` --- internal memory "card"
`/storage/sdcard1/` --- extra microSD card (mine is 32 GB)

`/storage/emulations/0/Download/` --- web browser download location
`/storage/sdcard1/wesnoth/` --- folder I created for wesnoth data files

# WORK AROUND STEPS

1. Download and install [wesnoth-1.14.5-53.apk](https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... 4.5-53.apk).

Note that the APK from F-Droid may work but I didn't go back and try this.

2. Download [wesnoth_essential-1.14.5.zip](https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... 1.14.5.zip) file.

3. Move or Copy this file from the "Download" folder to the default file storage location for "/sdcard/".

I moved the file using [**Simple Explorer** from F-Droid](https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.dnielfe.manager/) from `/storage/emulations/0/Download` to `/storage/emulations/0/`

4. Create a Wesnoth data storage location.

I created `/storage/sdcard1/wesnoth/` using **Simple Explorer**.

5. Open / Start the app **Battle for Wesnoth**.

6. Select **Change configuration**.

7. Choose **Data installation location** -> **Specify Directory**, and set it to a location with lots of free space on your phone.

I used my 32 GB microSD card with the aforementioned `/storage/sdcard1/wesnoth` folder.

8. Choose **Select packages to download** and ensure that only **Game core data (mandatory)** is selected.

Later on you can try similar steps to install the other packages.

9. Choose **Start game**.

10. The app should initialize and then begin extracting the data.

Note that this took a long time on my phone. After that the app should permit playing the game.

'Hope that helps. 8)

See also [Battle for Wesnoth on Android](https://www.alessandropira.org/bfw_android/get.html).
MHDTVK

Post by MHDTVK »

Dear Admin,
I'm playing "Battle for Wesnoth" for years on an android phone. I have a new phone and want to transfer the game progress to it. I cannot even find the saved games. please help me
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Hi,

I've found a problem when opening the Android app, it tries to upgrade from 1.14.9 to 1.14.11, but after downloading the needed files (100% of download) it does not go on... No matter how many times I retry. :-/ Alep, any idea?

Thanks a lot
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

Solved. :-)

I am posting here the solution, just in case anybody else has the same issue. On startup, click on the “Change configuration” button and then “Clean installation files”. This forces to re-download all app files, while keeping your saves and addons (very nice feature, alep!)
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

MHDTVK wrote: February 15th, 2020, 7:18 am Dear Admin,
I'm playing "Battle for Wesnoth" for years on an android phone. I have a new phone and want to transfer the game progress to it. I cannot even find the saved games. please help me
Hi,

On startup, click on "Change configuration" and then "Import/Export" -> "Export save game data". This will generate a ZIP file with all your saves that you can move to your new phone. And after that, in the new phone you selecte the "Import" option. ;-)
Istari

Post by Istari »

I wonder why on-screen keyboard doesn't work? I mean, it pops up when I touch keyboard icon, but when I type something like ID and PW it doesn't work as if I typed nothing. Enter, spacebar, and number keys work, but alphabet key doesn't work. I wonder why this happen and how to solve it
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Istari wrote: May 31st, 2020, 4:23 am I wonder why on-screen keyboard doesn't work? I mean, it pops up when I touch keyboard icon, but when I type something like ID and PW it doesn't work as if I typed nothing. Enter, spacebar, and number keys work, but alphabet key doesn't work. I wonder why this happen and how to solve it
Me too... (When I'm running on Wesnoth version 1.14.7 & 1.14.9) :(
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
lea

Post by lea »

alep wrote: June 10th, 2018, 11:04 am ... The 1.10 app has been removed from the store (but it's still available on sourceforge). ...
could you please provide a link to android port of Wesnoth 1.10 ?
earliest version I can see on sourceforge is 1.12.0 :
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... oid/files/

also did you publish source code of your port of Wesnoth on someplace like github?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Quick question. Did anyone playing the current android version encounter this odd graphics glitch?
https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=656314