Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

MathBrush

Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

Post by MathBrush »

I recently looked over Wings of Victory with an eye to help finish it.

I don’t think it should be finished. I think it is unfinished for a reason. I’m a text adventure critic, and I’ve reviewed over 1500 text adventures, and many of them suffer from the same problem as Wings of Victory: cool ideas that don’t translate to fun gameplay.

For instance; the first level has you flying over th ocean with a herd of Drakes. Cool idea, right? But it’s so tedious herding and organizing them.

And finishing it would be much harder than a new campaign. I think it’s unfinished because the ideas are ones that are hard to bring to fruition.

Skeptical_troll’s description of the Dunefolk shows me that if enough people work on something, someone will come up with a great solution.

I’m going to heavily revise my campaign, a fiery birth, to make it fit into mainline standards as far as possible, and I challenge everyone who’s interested to try to make a mainline-worthy drake campaign, too. I think that given enough people trying, we could get something great done this year.

But I think wings of victory should be no longer considered as the one to wait on.

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Wishing for a new mainline drake campaign candidate

Post by Pentarctagon »

I believe Kwandulin's Ashen Hearts campaign is being considered for inclusion once development on 1.15 starts.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

That would be great! Kwandulin does really good work.

Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

For instance; the first level has you flying over th ocean with a herd of Drakes. Cool idea, right? But it’s so tedious herding and organizing them.
Can't you just get that part automatised?

MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Part of it is autonized, and it scrolls the whole screen back and forth as the 7 drakes fly around.

A lot of the maps are really big.

I think that there’s a reason so many people tried to fix it/finish it and failed. I think it would need complete redoing.

Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

When I finally upgraded to 1.12 last year I downloaded many, many campaigns in one night when I could hog all the WiFi for myself. Maybe you could just have the drakes start at the intended place. I suppose I'll have to dig it up.

Lord-Knightmare
Forum Regular
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Personally, I think SkyOne's Brave Wings is a potentially better candidate at being mainlined. It's rather sad to see Wings of Victory getting abandoned like this :( . Ashen Hearts is good. Played it. Would like to see it added to the core campaign package.

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

I'm interested in seeing a drake campaign mainlined. I'm currently reviewing all the drake campaigns on the 1.10 through 1.13/14 servers.

AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

I would like to see Brave Winds in mainline too. It is possible to make a voting in order to select a new official campaign?

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

GreatGeneral wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 10:01 pm
I would like to see Brave Winds in mainline too. It is possible to make a voting in order to select a new official campaign?
The campaign mainlining process has never been carried out that way. There's more to consider than just popular acclaim. It's possible I may want to run a poll of some sort, but it's not going to be a primary factor in how I decide to invest my time.