Several issues, 1.13 windows Mostly resolved

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DewyB

Several issues, 1.13 windows Mostly resolved

Post by DewyB »

I don't even know where to start. I've been playing the game off and on for years... the luck/probability system makes me so mad I don't think I've finished a single campaign. I've read all of the posts about how it works and why it's prefered and I think you've lost your mind if you think this system works best. But I digress... y'all have made up your minds on that topic. Let's get to my issues.

I play multiplayer campaigns these days exclusively with enclave's "Different Luck" add on. I'm a fan. But... I can only play Legends of Westmere as that is the only "Multiplayer Campaign" I can load. I download "MP Campaigns" from the add on server, and the game installs them to the single player campaigns. I've downloaded several, but let's take Northern Rebirth" as an example as it was suggested to me recently.

I now have 2 Northern Rebirth's installed in Single Player campaigns, but only Legends of Westmere available in MP Campaigns.

This would be fine if I could apply enclave's Different Luck to SP campaigns, so if anyone has any tips on:
A) Deleting SP campaigns
B) installing MP campaigns in the correct location
C) Playing SP campaigns in MP
or alternatively
D) applying Different Luck to SP
Any tips on these subjects would be greatly appreciated. If this post can be placed in a better location I apologize and appreciate Mods categorizing and moving it.

At this time I think I will explore the 1.13 download to see if it remedies any of my issues.
Last edited by DewyB on March 7th, 2017, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Several issues, 1.12 windows

Post by gfgtdf »

In wesnoth 1.13 you can easiyl enable modifications for sp campaigns. Just make sure the [modifiction] tag of your modification is not guarded i na #ifdef MULTIPLAYER .. #endif . If it is, just remove those 2 lines-
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

Thank you for the prompt reply. I will explore that when the download completes.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Thank you for mentioning yourself being a fan of my mod, I'm very happy it served somebody well! I feel sorry for your problem.

I will have a look at your questions when I get some time off, mostly I will see if SP campaigns can be moved into MP campaigns.. And maybe other workarounds.. But I must mention that I never tried anything like that before, so maybe somebody else experienced something similar and can help you before I find a solution the hard way..

About 1.13 I can only say that I have not posted my add-on there, and you may therefore need to move it manually (I could try to help you with that if you are a windows user... otherwise I don't know which folders linux and mac are using to store any of wesnoth add-ons, so I 100% won't be able to help if you are on linux/mac). After that, even if we move the add-on manually, it's not guaranteed to be compatible, sometimes the differences between versions create big troubles.. or it might just work straight away without any problem, never know..

If you need any help with gfgtdf advice, just ask, gfgtdf really knows what he is talking about in most cases and I completely trust him if he said so, he helped me a lot of times, but unfortunately his answers are often hard to understand, because his level of coding is much higher than mine or most others here.. So I assume if you never coded anything in wesnoth, you would have no idea what #ifdef he was talking about and where to find them.. just let me know if it is so, Ill try to help then.

About the luck system.. even if it feels wrong, I personally have no idea how to make it better but still keep the idea behind it.. there are some modifications (mine was not the only one, I believe) but they all probably change it completely.. and it feels like a different game, it's very sad that modifications don't work for single player campaigns.. and it's very strange that multiplayer campaigns are installed into single player.. I will try to see if they can be just manually moved... Thanks for your question!
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

I found the add on in v1.12.6 that is installed. Would it be difficult to update it for 1.13 and get it added to the add on server?

I will be glad to assist if there is anything a novice can do.

And thank you for the reply.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

gfgtdf,
I have found the following in the "Main.cfg" (1.12.6) that reads:

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-enclave_Modifications

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
	{~add-ons/Different_Luck/macros/}
	{~add-ons/Different_Luck/Different_Luck.cfg}
#endif
Are you suggesting removing the #ifdef only, or the #ifdef AND the text inside the #ifdef?
Last edited by Pentarctagon on March 7th, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed colors
enclave

Post by enclave »

I will try to put it onto 1.13 for you. Need to install 1.13 first :) but if it's gona make you happy it will make me happy as well;)
Give me couple of hours and it should be ready, if no problems met..

He was suggesting to remove the #ifdef only.. I have not tried 1.13, but if he said so.. it should work, I believe..
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

DewyB wrote:gfgtdf,
I have found the following in the "Main.cfg" (1.12.6) that reads:

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER

#endif

Are you suggesting removing the Blue text only, or the Blue AND Red text?
Also, not to be pedantic or anal about it, but colors are not usually supposed to be used (Forum Rule 1d), and in this case there is a

tag that can be used.  I've edited your post accordingly.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

What gfgtdf means it to change

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
#endif
To:

DewyB

Post by DewyB »

Code tags did not allow me to ask the question properly. I needed a color code.
Smilies and post formatting in general (#)
If you must use smilies, use them sparingly — excessive smilies will get deleted or your whole post deleted, and posts that contain nothing but smilies are generally frowned upon. Do not use colors or large font sizes in your posts since they are reserved for the forum moderators, unless they may be essential for the purpose of conveying a message to the audience.
That being said, I don't take it as pedantic or anal, just doing your job and I apologize for violating the rule.

Thank you GunChleoc for the confirmation on the question and answer.

Incidentally, 1.13 for it's warts and blemishes seems to work smoothly, putting MP campaigns in the correct location.
**Edit I seem to be having some issues selecting the modification in the SP campaign screen. I scroll down to the bottom of campaigns, and when I click the Mod, I get a "program not responding" pause, then when it responds, the Mod is still unchecked.

Thank you all for your responses!
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

DewyB wrote:Code tags did not allow me to ask the question properly. I needed a color code.
I agree here, the previus version that refered the speicific lines by their color was clearer to understand. The code tag in nice but it doesn't allow you to mark specific areas to refer to them later. I actualyl don't know what the best solution here is actually.

DewyB wrote: **Edit I seem to be having some issues selecting the modification in the SP campaign screen. I scroll down to the bottom of campaigns, and when I click the Mod, I get a "program not responding" pause, then when it responds, the Mod is still unchecked.

Thank you all for your responses!
Hm which 1.13 version do you use? 1.13.6 or a differnt version?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

1.13.6 is the version.
I eventually got the Mod to work using your suggested edits after much "lag" (game going unresponsive) and it works in SP.

I also tried using your suggesting on the "Reign of the Lords/ 5 Lords Active Advance" mod with less luck.

#textdomain wesnoth-ROTL

[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-ROTL"
    path="data/add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/translations"
[/textdomain]

[binary_path]
    path=data/add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/
[/binary_path]

{~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/utils/macros/}
{~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/utils/}
{~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/eras/}

{~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/}

[+units]
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/undead/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/base_units/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/orcs/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/loyalists/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/magi/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/dwarves/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/trolls/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/elementals/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/elves/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/fake/}
   	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/other/}
    [/units]

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
    [binary_path]
        path=data/add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords
    [/binary_path]

[+units]
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/undead/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/base_units/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/orcs/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/loyalists/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/magi/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/dwarves/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/trolls/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/elves/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/elementals/}
	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/fake/}
   	    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/units/other/}
    [/units]

{~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/utils/macros}
    {~add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords/utils}

[modification]
	id=ROLAdvancement_Modification
	name=_"Reign of the Lords Advancement Modification"
	require_modification=yes
	{MODIFICATION_STRING}
	description=_"This Modification allows the base wesnoth units to advance into the new added units from the Reign of The Lords era. This modification is recommended when playing the Reign of the Lords era, but also works for any other era with mainline units. This modification does not effect singleplayer in any way." 
	{ROL_ADVANCEMENT_EVENTS}
    [/modification]
#endif
I removed the
#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
and
#endif
But there was no option to "enable" this mod. I am testing it (working character levels up) now to see if it is enabled by default with the code.

My apologies for not replying sooner... leveling and such.
1.13.6 seems faster overall, a bit of "rubber banding" when units move and some font issues, but generally a fine working product.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I also tried using your suggesting on the "Reign of the Lords/ 5 Lords Active Advance" mod with less luck.
Note that any changes made in those text files won't take effect unles you make wesnoth reload those files, the easiest way to do so is to restart wesnoth.

but i also have to says that that addosn code looks wrong, i mean it first included all units files uncoinditionally and then, if multiplayer, it included all those files a second time which does not make sense. I think its likeley that this addon was written in a way that is incompatible with wesnoth 1.12 maybe when you look at the log file you'll see the errors why it didn't work.
enclave

Post by enclave »

gfgtdf wrote:I agree here, the previus version that refered the speicific lines by their color was clearer to understand. The code tag in nice but it doesn't allow you to mark specific areas to refer to them later. I actualyl don't know what the best solution here is actually.
completely agree, and I'm sure the rule 1d was made with thought to be able to ban the spammers or people who would decide to write everything in colors just for fun (which would annoy everyone and not be of any help), unfortunately it looks like it is a little bit abused by people in power to just show others that they can change something that they can change, just because they can.. ignoring the fact that it was used properly and for a good reason to be understood better by the audience as the rule 1d permits. Not for me to judge or care.. just a sad thing.
DewyB wrote: Really glad that 1.13 worked for you with ability to use modifications in single player.
Really glad that it worked for you!
Pentarctagon wrote:Also, not to be pedantic or anal about it, but colors are not usually supposed to be used (Forum Rule 1d), and in this case there is a

tag that can be used. I've edited your post accordingly.[/quote]
as for me the word anal sounds very rude and much more insulting than the most popular english word starting with f. I think it should be forbidden to use in the forum. As it is really insulting me.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

gfgtdf wrote: but i also have to says that that addosn code looks wrong, i mean it first included all units files uncoinditionally and then, if multiplayer, it included all those files a second time which does not make sense. I think its likeley that this addon was written in a way that is incompatible with wesnoth 1.12 maybe when you look at the log file you'll see the errors why it didn't work.
That addon is generously coded by The_Gnat and I will pass your suggestion on to him in the thread for that add on.

Ok, I used your code edit on the Free XP addon (for SCIENCE! :eng: ) and it also shows up in the SP campaign menu (at the bottom) but the game has gotten so unresponsive I cannot select start on a campaign. It took several minutes of trying to activate the Free XP Mod and afterwards impossible to select a campaign, so I tried just starting it and the game would not respond.