6921 friends = frozen lobby. How to find ladder partners?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Triggerfisk

6921 friends = frozen lobby. How to find ladder partners?

Post by Triggerfisk »

I've been trying to figure out how to play registered games on the ladder for an hour or so. Adding all 6921 registered players to my friends list as the site suggests, though, makes the lobby almost impossible to navigate due to constant freezing. Seems like the software isn't built to handle that many friends.

I guess nobody on the ladder actually uses that list, then? It's grown too large? Do they just create games according to the (L) format and look up whoever joins their game through their players list to make sure they're a registered ladder user, and gradually add ladder friends like that?
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 6921 friends = frozen lobby. How to find ladder partners

Post by gfgtdf »

This seems to be a bug in wesnoth 1.12, here https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cpp#L197 the game should check whether the firends are already loaded, but the acquaintances_initialized variable is never set to true so it always reload them. Since i cannot fins similar code in wesnoth 1.13 i assume this was fixed in wesnoth 1.13
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Triggerfisk

Post by Triggerfisk »

gfgtdf wrote:This seems to be a bug in wesnoth 1.12, here https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cpp#L197 the game should check whether the firends are already loaded, but the acquaintances_initialized variable is never set to true so it always reload them. Since i cannot fins similar code in wesnoth 1.13 i assume this was fixed in wesnoth 1.13
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't realize it was relevant, but I'm on 1.12.6. Maybe I should look into how to install 1.13.. Do you happen to know whether most people who actually play ladder are on 1.12 or 1.13? I assume most people in general are on 1.12, and I read there are compatibility issues when 1.12 clients and 1.13 clients try to play together.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Afaik there are no ladders players on 1.13, so playing 1.13 is not really an option if you want to do ladder matches.

I think your only option if you really want to do this lader firnds thing is to fix that bug and compile wensoth c++ code locally.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Triggerfisk

Post by Triggerfisk »

gfgtdf wrote:Afaik there are no ladders players on 1.13, so playing 1.13 is not really an option if you want to do ladder matches.

I think your only option if you really want to do this lader firnds thing is to fix that bug and compile wensoth c++ code locally.
The day I'm capable of fixing bugs like that, I'll volunteer as a coder. :lol: For now, I guess I'll just swap my preferences file with the 7K friends file once in a while, take note of whoever's online, swap back, and add them manually. No idea what everyone else on the ladder does, but that works.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Hi Triggerfisk,

Ladder players usually play on 1.12 server. In fact, this list might have worked when there weren't so many players registered.

Also, this is not the best place to post about ladder as the ladder is not in any way associated with the official wesnoth forum, it's moderators and/or the developers of Wesnoth, as it's written at its site.

If you want to contact ladder manager Cackfiend, use his forum account, ladder forums (there's nothing going on actually) or find Victor Falcone in Wesnoth Ladder Facebook group.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
Ben24626

Post by Ben24626 »

I would say here or the wesnoth ladder facebook group (the ladder admin checks this regularly) are your best bets for posting about ladder.

In terms of finding a match pretty much everyone either opens a match called ladder or something similiar and checks that anyone who joins is registered on the ladder site. The other way to do it is to observe a ladder match and ask other observers for a ladder match. There are very few active ladder players so adding 7000 registered ladder players seems a bad way of finding a partner.