Campaign guidance for rookie

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

seangregorycarroll

Campaign guidance for rookie

Post by seangregorycarroll »

Hello,

I just finished the 1st campaign, South Guard. Any suggestions which to play next?
The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles -Gandhi
The_Gnat

Re: Campaign guidance for rookie

Post by The_Gnat »

Heir to the Throne is a great beginner campaign with a good plot and 23 scenarios. In it you play as a human prince trying to take back the throne from a evil queen.

Also A Tale of Two Brothers is also a good short, 4 scenario, campaign that i found enjoyable to play, you also play as the humans in it.

If you are interested in playing a different faction besides humans An Orcish Incursion is a good starting campaign with 7 scenarios, where you play Elves!

Hopefully this helps! :D
seangregorycarroll

Thanks for taking the time guys to respond. I have restarted the Heir to the Throne several times now... basically barely winning on medium difficulty. Yeah, keep starting over so I can take some experienced units with me to next scenario... bastid AI keeps killing my guys off! WTF??? :P Hey, just looking ahead... are all the good campaigns already included or is there another place to explore? Thanks again :)
The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles -Gandhi
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

seangregorycarroll wrote:Hey, just looking ahead... are all the good campaigns already included or is there another place to explore?
Just try that 'Add-ons' button on the title screen and you got yourself something to explore. :lol:
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

nuorc wrote:
seangregorycarroll wrote:Hey, just looking ahead... are all the good campaigns already included or is there another place to explore?
Yeah like nuorc says, there are thousands (!!!!) of user made campaigns on the 1.12 add-on database. If you click the add-on button then you can view them.

If you are playing 1.13 unfortunately since it is only recently been released not that many user made campaigns have been created yet.

EDIT: also as for strategies two important things to remember are:

- The enemies in Heir to the Throne scenario 1 are Orcs. This means they are chaotic.That means they gain 25% extra damage for their attacks at night. Below you can see where the alignment of each unit is written:
chaotic.png
If a unit is neutral it doesn't change, if it is chaotic it is good at night and bad at day, if it is lawful it is good at day and bad at night.

I recommend that you not attack the enemy (unless you have to) when they are strongest.

- Defenses (listed on the ground under your units) are very important. For example if the defense says 40% that means 6 out of 10 times a enemy will hit you. If the defense is 70% only 3 out of 10 times the enemy will hit you. This means that if you attack enemies from bad defenses or if your units are attacked when standing on bad defenses that the damage inflicted could be double.

Try to avoid bad defenses (below 50%). Also look at what the enemies defenses are before attacking them, don't attack enemies who have really good defense unless you have to.

Hopefully this helps :D
seangregorycarroll

Ahh again, TY! The combat tips have been very helpful... this game is a ton of fun! Nice to know there are still selfLESS ppl out there =) Hey, what version should I download to access the '1000s' of add-on campaigns?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

@seangregorycarroll: The latest stable version for your OS as linked here.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.