May I post Wesnoth music and sound effects to Fanburst?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JakeCWolf

May I post Wesnoth music and sound effects to Fanburst?

Post by JakeCWolf »

I know Wesnoth runs under GNU which means any use that isn't making money off it is fine, but still I thought I'd ask before doing this. Basically Fanburst is a sound and music hosting service that freely allows people to post various sounds and music for use as ambience and effects in tabletop games, mostly for Roll20, it's all free no money is being directly made as far as I know. The music and sound effects of Wesnoth would be great if used in a Tabletop setting, hit and dying sound effects most of all.

So would this be okay? I will oblige if told not to, even if it would break my heart to do so.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: May I post Wesnoth music and sound effects to Fanburst?

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not a lawyer, but this sounds like it may be problematic (from the ToS):
By submitting Content to Fanburst for inclusion on our website, you grant Fanburst a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and promoting your Fanburst profile. This license allows Fanburst to make content available to third parties selected by Fanburst (through the Fanburst API, for example) so that these third parties can analyze and distribute your content through their services.
On the other hand, this also sounds like "boilerplate" legal wording, so maybe I'm reading too much into it.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

That's far from the definitive answer I was hoping for, to be honest.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I think you should ask FanBurst if GPL v2 licensed content is adequate to meet their needs "for the purpose of displaying distributing, and promoting your fanburst profile". If not, then you can't, and it's on them.
JakeCWolf wrote: I know Wesnoth runs under GNU which means any use that isn't making money off it is fine, but still I thought I'd ask before doing this.
"Any use that isn't making money off of it is fine" really has nothing to do with GNU. It's actually okay to make money off of GNU things. The main idea in the GNU GPL is copyleft which basically means you have to share-alike any derivative works that you make.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

iceiceice wrote: "Any use that isn't making money off of it is fine" really has nothing to do with GNU. It's actually okay to make money off of GNU things. The main idea in the GNU GPL is copyleft which basically means you have to share-alike any derivative works that you make.
Indeed. The GNU has nothing to do with commercialization, but with intellectual freedom to modify and redistribute.