what mainline campaign to take on next

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amanII

what mainline campaign to take on next

Post by amanII »

i have beaten all novice level scenarios as well as liberty and the hammer of thursagan and don't know which campaign to take on next.
Samonella

Re: what mainline campaign to take on next

Post by Samonella »

Well, The Sceptre of Fire and Northern Rebirth are my favorites, and most people seem to really like Under the Burning Suns. These are all marked as expert level, but if you didn't have much trouble so far you'll probably be fine with at least the "normal" settings of these. Out of the intermediate level ones that you haven't played yet, I'd recommend Delfador's Memoirs.

Have fun
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
taptap

Post by taptap »

Dead Water. But there is plenty of user made content out there. Don't expect "mainline" to be better by default.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
amanII

Post by amanII »

Okay maybe i should mention a few thing about myself

1.i have beaten the eastern invasion recently(it was pretty easy)

2.SOMETIMES there are scenarios which others found tough but i found easy(such as isle of the damned or invaders from thot) and vice versa(i found northern winter in httt hard)

3.i have both 1.10 and 1.12 so if a campaign is easier in one version i will use that version(eg:i heard sotbe is easier on 1.10 so if i do plan to take on that i'll use 1.10).

Given from that information which campaign would you suggest i take on next
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

But all you have really told us is how difficult you found some scenarios or campaigns. We can't recommend anything based on that. Why don't you tell us what you LIKED instead? Then maybe we could recommend something with a similar style. Or, better yet, you can just choose one at random and try it. If you like it, keep playing. If you don't, choose another one.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Under the Burning Suns gets my recommendation. You might need to save-scum in a few places (I certainly did), but it's worth it. Although some people like them, I personally wouldn't recommend Northern Rebirth (it's more like a battle simulator; there's too many units to control to feel any sense of attachment to them) or Dead Water (This campaign really needs an Easy mode).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

taptap wrote:Dead Water. But there is plenty of user made content out there. Don't expect "mainline" to be better by default.
quite true. In fact, i find mainline pretty boring, and usually stick with UMC (User Made Content) i usually lean towards addons with unique gameplay features, stuff like Legend of the Invincibles (it has pretty much the best inventory system amongst all UMC campaigns), i also love 'Trader - Strange Legacy', it the kind of addon that does the best job at representing an RPG (which is a one heck of a difficult thing to do in a turn-based strategy) it's mostly just my personal opinions, but my point is: you shouldn't stick with mainline campaigns, as if they were the only good campaigns out there. Although i admit that the quality of individual addons may vary from masterpierce to 'meh, kinda bland' and they are less balanced, they are also usually more creative, rather than just sticking with 'wesnoth, wesnoth, wesnoth, wesnoth backstory, wesnoth after the fall, wesnoth everywhere'
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
amanII

Post by amanII »

beetlenaut wrote:But all you have really told us is how difficult you found some scenarios or campaigns. We can't recommend anything based on that. Why don't you tell us what you LIKED instead? Then maybe we could recommend something with a similar style. Or, better yet, you can just choose one at random and try it. If you like it, keep playing. If you don't, choose another one.
in order to answer your question on what i liked,i think that a campaign's gameplay is even more important than story.this is why i actually liked the eastern invasion(scenarios like the northern outpost and the duel were fun as ****).a campaign being balanced is part of its gameplay to me
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Try the earth's gut
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Durin_the_great wrote:Try the earth's gut
to be clear, it's an addon
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You would probably like The Founding of Borstep. The story is not great, but there are several scenarios with unusual gameplay. I made it really hard, so you will want to play the easiest difficulty.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
amanII

Post by amanII »

beetlenaut wrote:You would probably like The Founding of Borstep. The story is not great, but there are several scenarios with unusual gameplay. I made it really hard, so you will want to play the easiest difficulty.
is it balanced
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think so, but I'm not the best person to ask. It's definitely balanced at the highest two difficulties, but I'm not positive about the lower levels. (There are four.) It's hard to be sure that something that was pretty easy was easy enough. It did have 47000 downloads on 1.10 though, and I'd taken care of all the complaints by the time it come out for 1.12, so it should be fine now.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A thought on that question, let me answer that question for any campaign.

No it isn't balanced, it's against impossible odds with enemies outnumbering you more than 2:1 and other strange conditions imposed. If it wasn't it'd be easy and boring. The AI just isn't that good. The key point though, is that if you are good enough, you can overcome it without cheating or extreme luck. This is certainly true for the Founding of Borstep.

It's just a matter of how good you need to be to overcome it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."