Your team wins but "You are Defeated"

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Otengam

Your team wins but "You are Defeated"

Post by Otengam »

It seems that the Multiplayer Scenario maps that only require you to "Defeat enemy leader(s)" will tell you: "Defeated - You have been defeated" if the game concludes with your leader dead even if your team wins. It is certainly possible to still have your units alive whilst your leader is killed and still continue so you might still be contributing towards your team's victory. I mean, It's not that big a deal but I feel that in those situations it should say: "Victory" rather than defeat when your team wins. The way I see it, if you play in a team it's sometimes necessary to sacrifice units and sometimes it might include one of the team leaders.

Perhaps the multiplayer scenarios should also add an objective: "Keep all team leaders alive" but since this isn't the case it should follow that if your team wins (even if your own leader dies) it should say "Victory" not "You are defeated". If the intention is for the dead leader side to recognise that they are defeated then it should tell you "You are defeated" as soon as your leader dies and not at the very end.

I'm guessing that this could be fixed but the reward-effort would make it a fairly low priority issue.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Your team wins but "You are Defeated"

Post by zookeeper »

While I personally agree, it has been discussed in times past and as far as I recall, the multiplayer developers specifically wanted it this way.
Nobun
Code Contributor

Post by Nobun »

This is the default behaviour and I agree with this design... however you can always create a scenario without that rule if you have good reasons to do it.

In multiplayer logic, the leader is more or less like the King piece on a chess game (if you checkmated you lost, no metter if have more piece than your opponent, or if you were close to win). Moreover, usually, if you lost the king, you actually losed (since you cannot recruit anymore, while your opponent can), so in a few time he can surpass you in units and you cannot do nothing to win (it's like in chess, when you have only a bishop and a king... you cannot checkmate your opponent anymore... you can, at max, try to be stalled to obtain a draw game, but in wesnoth draw does not exist).

It obliouvsly can happen that the player who lost king was the one near to the victory, but "being carefully to the king" is also a metter of strategy and balancement. After all the king start at level +1 (level 2, on standard era when you can recruit level 1 units; level 3 on age of heroes when you can recruit at max level 2 units) so it ensure some additional power (great powers means great responsability :lol: ) and "but if you lose it you will lost game" rebalance the overpowering you can obtain using the king.

But no-one will prohibit you to create a scenario (even a multiplayer one) with different rules...
Otengam

Post by Otengam »

@Nobun, just to be clear, I don't mind this in single player because it's all down to you. The issue is in a team situation (multiple players on the same team) I expect that if someone on my team wins the game by defeating the last enemy then even if I lost my leader my team mates (who still have their leaders) should win the game for me.

As I said, it's not that big a deal, it's just that in these situations winning seems like losing.