Incomplete map editor

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

Incomplete map editor

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

The map editor lacks some terrains, at least "forest, hills" and "frozen". I guess we have to wait some time to get the problem fixed so we need to edit maps manually.

This brings a new problem: which codes to use? The website has information about terrain codes but it doesn't tell which codes are usable and which make the scenario not load.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Incomplete map editor

Post by Ravana »

It should be safe to expect that all codes in reference are usable, especially as the page says This page is automatically generated. Do not modify directly!.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

What BfW version are you using, and which terrain codes are giving trouble?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Spirit_of_Currents

Thanks and oops!

Ravana helped me solve the code problem. I only had known this page. I hadn't found the link on the page. Then I searched more carefully than before creating this topic, and found the page Ravana talked about.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote:The map editor lacks some terrains, at least "forest, hills" and "frozen".
Are you talking of the hidden base types with codes Ft, Ht, and At? You really are not supposed to use those in maps and exist only for the purpose of establishing unit stats for other terrains; this is why they have the hidden attribute set in the WML (data/core/terrains.cfg in the game data dir).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Spirit_of_Currents

No, I'm talking about Hh^Fp, Aa and other terrains with exactly same movecost and defence (for example Hh^Fds).

Edit: and also "forest, frozen, hills".
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

Most overlay terrains are associated with a default base terrain (visible in data/core/terrain.cfg). When you select an overlay terrain and place it on the map (either with left-click or right-click) the base terrain already in place is replaced by the default base terrain. To keep the existing base terrain you must hold Shift when placing the overlay terrain. Thus to get Hh^Fp or Hh^Fds: first place the hills then place the forest while holding Shift. You can get all possible combinations that way.

The tooltip for the Paint Tool reads "Hold Shift to paint base layer only". This is wrong. It paints the same layer (base or overlay) as the layer of the terrain you use.

Snow (Aa) does appear in the editor just before "Desert Sands" (Dd) and above "Rubble" (^Dr) when you display all terrains. There is also a "Frozen" group. If not, your install is broken.

About codes: the engine allows you to mix and match any base terrain with any overlay terrain (even a keep or castle with a village). The only exceptions are ^Dc and ^Xm with can only be mixed with Dd and M* (Mm, Md, Ms) respectively.
Spirit_of_Currents

Thanks for solving "no many terrain types in a single hex" -problem. However, there is still a smaller problem: frozen graphics.

When I place snow or ice to a hex, only several small chunks of frozen will appear in the hex. The rest is what was there before adding frozen. The previous terrain is the new background.

When I look at terrain options and examine snow or ice, it says "Will not work in game without extra care." I was able to play a map and haven't tried to play a scenario with frozen.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You probably have an add-on installed that defines new terrains with the same ids as the mainline snow and ice terrains.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.