Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

Post by ancestral »

Work is just a tad slow because of a very devastating multiplayer replay bug in 1.13. :annoyed:

I have several days off next week, so I should have a new draft between now and then.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
highquality223

Post by highquality223 »

I think it would be better if you showed more fighting in general and while the text was on the screen, in the background they should kepp fighting.More action is what i mean, also try to include dragons, both fire and undead, you could show some cities or castles from mainline campaigns.Anyways, thats my opinion only and it is still a great trailer, keep up the good job.
P.S. Download some of the more graphic addons and include fights with great effects and graphics, that should hype the players up, knowing that there is some good bit of action and graphics, not only stoyline and dialogues between player and AI.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

When wesnoth goes on Steam, there will be a whole host of features that we can enjoy correct? It could give us auto-update, savefile cloud syncing across different platforms, etc?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

max_torch wrote:When wesnoth goes on Steam, there will be a whole host of features that we can enjoy correct? It could give us auto-update, savefile cloud syncing across different platforms, etc?
There are a bunch of available features, but support for them would have to be coded into Wesnoth itself.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

As far as I know, auto-updating comes as part of the steam distribution system and doesn't need to be specially programmed. Other features would require work, though.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Any progress on this?
mikeboix

Post by mikeboix »

Yeah, how is the work on the trailer going? It looked pretty good that by ancestral!
DDR

Post by DDR »

I feel the bit where the camera pans over the pictures is generally well-thought-out, but I think it could use more variation in the panning direction. I don't think identical pans ought to be repeated; it makes it a bit boring. Usually, you get some sort of opposite motion going on, say a pan up and left followed by a pan up and right or something. I do quite like the motion of the camera, though, it's pretty punchy. :)
I find myself in agreement with highquality223 for the gameplay bit; there are more cinematic sequences available. Though they might be harder to get to and film, I think it'd be worth it. I think it's generally expected for the trailer to contain the flashier bits of the game.
Overall, a very promising preview! 8)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ancestral’s video description wrote:The gameplay images are all virtually placeholders for actual gameplay video as I am missing video captures. Don’t worry, I do plan on including them. Pretend you are seeing captured video on the slides and sound effects.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Oh, I totally missed that bit. Carry on, good sir. :oops:
rmj

Post by rmj »

I am on wifi and was using Steam for Civilization V, but it caused me to exceed my bandwidth. I don't know what they are doing, but they were responsible for two to five gigabytes of data each month.

So my question is: will there be other places to download Wesnoth? There used to be a page on Wesnoth.org where one could download, but I can't find it anymore.
rmj
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

We will continue to provide downloads for all platforms on SourceForge.net, with links on the front page and the Download page in the wiki.

(And no, this isn’t an open invitation to rehash the SF.net discussion.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

New version is up! Critique and comment as you like.

https://youtu.be/ErlBjEf9uG4

I still have some timing issues to work out, as the transitions are super rough. I know three ways to fix this, so I'm not too concerned, it just requires a little extra time.

I'm open to suggestions. If I cut some of the vidcaps, I can probably fit one or maybe two more sequences in. I may also choose to cut some of the stills out.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Looking good so far :)

Some critique:
  • At the beginning, when you transition between stills and scroll, I think you should have the scrolling start as the transition is happening, and then reduce the pause at the end of each scroll and go immediately into the next transition.
  • The sparkly text reveal effect feels tacky. It might look better without it.
  • When you mention UMC content, all the following slides are of mainline campaigns. Not the biggest issue, but might be a little misleading.
  • In the slide with all the languages, I suggest making the English logo larger than the others and having a subtle zoom effect (like the final slide does), then crossfading into the logo and the "Available on [platforms]" text, which would have its zoom effect removed.
  • And speaking of the last slide, I suggest moving the logo up the frame a bit and putting the text close to the center. I also think it'd look better with plain, slightly larger white text, and perhaps platform logos as well.
  • Perhaps also mention Steam in some way?
Besides that, looking good :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

A few small things I noticed:

1) The ulfserker seems to be missing his death-sound, as do the other units that die.
2) After the horse kills the ghoul, you can see the top of the horse's head, but not the dialogue, which is a little weird.
3) When you're showing all the screenshots, the text "Download freely from a large assortment..." is on top of any dialogue text being shown in the game.

Other than that, looks nice!