I need your wisdom

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dorsil

I need your wisdom

Post by Dorsil »

Hey guys ! Well, it happened some time in the section '' art '' seeing the contributions of the community, units, land, etc ... I'd like to know how to make this units, I mean that if they use some type of program or something similar. I have many ideas and I would like to translate them. Greetings

PD: Sorry for my bad english.
Raijer

Re: I need your wisdom

Post by Raijer »

From what I've seen, most people use GIMP, some also use Paint, but seems like it's not exactly the best to make sprites. I suppose photoshop would work too, but it seems like using a bazooka to kill a fly. Also, beginners usually start by "frankensteining" sprites before building from scratch. Meaning, they use already existing parts of units (there are some nice franken packs on the add-on server) and fuse them to have something close to what they want, then change only the details.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I suppose photoshop would work too, but it seems like using a bazooka to kill a fly.
Ehm, I would not call it like that. Photoshop is meant for editing photos and you can do some painting in it too. GIMP is intended for painting and photos can be edited in it too. They are not meant for the same thing. It's like comparing a rifle with a rocket launcher - a rocket launcher can destroy vehicles, helicopters and people, but if you fight infantry troops, rifle will do a better job.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Both Photoshop and the GIMP are intended for the same things, but in practice results vary mostly because GIMP’s interface is not very well designed optimized for that it’s supposed to be used for.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I have also seen people recommend Krita for pixel art, although I have never used it myself.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

While I'm not creating pixel-art from scratch myself, I found Paint.NET fairly decent for manipulating it. You have to deactivate the anti-aliasing, but you're rewarded with a simple interface without the complexity of GIMP.