Feedback on Wesnoth from a year's old user

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xudo

Re: Feedback on Wesnoth from a year's old user

Post by Xudo »

@Dugi:
lipk

Post by lipk »

Where is java used?
Matlab, Scilab, OpenOffice, Eclipse, Glassfish, NetBeans, all JetBrains products and tons of server-side enterprise applications ;)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wesnoth 2.0:
Rewritten entirely in Rust with only Lua scripting available.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A pissing contest on who can expound on the best scripting language seems like a tangent to the subject of WML preventing anyone from writing an add-on.

WML provided/provides an easy method for non-programmers to do something, and can't really be preventing a programmer from writing an add-on. Efficient whitespace utilization and powerful variable handling doesn't make good content. A good story, interesting (if amateur) art, or good game-play (balance, puzzles, whatever) makes for good content, and WML allows for that. Monday-morning quarterbacking is easy; WML isn't bad for what it was supposed to do.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

lipk wrote:
Where is java used?
Matlab, Scilab, OpenOffice, Eclipse, Glassfish, NetBeans, all JetBrains products and tons of server-side enterprise applications ;)
Also Minecraft and Starsector as far as games that I know of.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

doofus-01 wrote:A pissing contest on who can expound on the best scripting language seems like a tangent to the subject of WML preventing anyone from writing an add-on.

WML provided/provides an easy method for non-programmers to do something, and can't really be preventing a programmer from writing an add-on. Efficient whitespace utilization and powerful variable handling doesn't make good content. A good story, interesting (if amateur) art, or good game-play (balance, puzzles, whatever) makes for good content, and WML allows for that. Monday-morning quarterbacking is easy; WML isn't bad for what it was supposed to do.
+1

i think wesnoth (and any other game, that came along with an "easy-to-get-started-with" -scripting language) benefits greatly by activating the mental ressources of any non-programmers. after all, making content is also some kind of art.

im working in health-industry, have other hobbies than wesnoth (i.e. competion dancing) and dont have time (--> ok, also i lack the will and perhaps the ability) by learning a programming language at all. well, its not like WML dont need some effort to learn or get used to. ( but its definately more easy for a non programmer to understand what is going on ;))

for me wesnoth is a hobby, not a job ;)
while i think that it could be useful perhaps to learn a programming language, but that wont happen in the near future

so im happy that i can contribute content in WML.
(in first line i also make the content for myself, but am happy if other people like it too)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Speaking as someone who is fairly clueless at programming and only recently getting really into that kind of stuff it may say something that my very first posts on this forum were publishing a (very basic) add-on that now works perfectly fine in adding an MP faction to the game.

WML (and really, XML-based things in general) is /incredibly/ easy to read and parse and edit and do what needs to be done in, and that's useful for entry-level content creation, which is very much a strength of this game. I've only even known about this game for a handful of months and even I am confident that I could continue making additional factions and the like with ease - that's in fact pretty much what I intend to be doing here, making things balanced around the core default era, kind of in hopes of achieving the same success as the Khalifate seems to have.

And that's not something that can be easily said for most games!
name

Post by name »

Pentarctagon wrote:Wesnoth 2.0:
Rewritten entirely in Rust with only Lua scripting available.
+1
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

WML is a super-clean language for story telling, which is the very essence of Wesnoth. I friggen love it. The only way to improve on it is to improve WML itself.

Other languages are too general purpose. Once you get comfy with WML, it saves a ton of time, which is the biggest limiting factor for any content creator.