Best 2 player co-op campaigns ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Coin-coin_le_Canapin

Best 2 player co-op campaigns ?

Post by Coin-coin_le_Canapin »

Hi !
I play with a friend and we're looking for nice and long campaigns.

We tried return from captivity a long time ago and we're going to do it again.

We have also tried the one with "ooze" in its name. It was quite funny but the gameplay didn't fit with our expectations, we want more like "regular" wesnoth gameplay with units to recruit.

We tried Betrayal of Thaeylan but we are currently stuck on the 2nd scenario (normal difficulty). See http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p582430

We tried Legend of Wesmere but for unknown reason it was quite buggy. Plus, on some scenario we had to play with 3 factions instead of two so one player had to play 2 factions. And on a map, 2 of 3 of the faction colors (orange and brown) weren't in the scenario so the 2nd player couldn't play. Only one player with its red faction against some enemies. It's too bad because the campaign was nice and started well. Any idea why it was like this ?
tekelili

Re: Best 2 player co-op campaigns ?

Post by tekelili »

You can read about the best cooperative campaign, using link under my signature 8) . Not a surprise a UMC author says that about his stuff, but I would have recommended you Classic WC as the best one if I were not developing WC II.
(I think is the best gameplay wise, however it lacks plot development to no disturb replayability)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

For only 2 player might be hard, but once we forget about this condition you have:
Spoiler:
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Those are pretty much all. Not so many multiplayer campaigns available at all.

There is also The Haunted Woods which while intended for 3 players can be played with less players as its scales difficulty accordingly.

Or Valley of the Ancients, mixing co-op with versus gameplay.

Or even the World Conquest I/II series even with them more on the survival tone than co-op.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Just want to say also, WC I and WC II are really good imo. :)

I mean it depends what you want, they are basically randomized campaigns so they are not so much on the character development at all, compared to say Betrayal of Thaelyn. But they are still quite engaging and quite difficult.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

I'd suggest the Altaz Mariners campaign (good story & polished gameplay), I really loved that campaign. Unfortunately, it seems it's currently only on the 1.10 server. I hope Bob the Mighty will port it to 1.12 (he already ported some of his other add ons), but you'd probably have to wait a bit for that. Definitely worth looking for it after you played a few of the other suggestions here, though.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It can't be ported to 1.12 I guess, because of a bug that was introduced in the 1.11.x cycle: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?23000

Unfortunately, it appears that it's no longer possible to start mp games in which sides are on multiple teams. Bob reported it quite a while ago. I don't know of anyone who has said that they will fix this.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I like 2p campaign battle system best. It's a very benign campaign that enables you to enjoy the pleasure of building armies with the faction of your choices. I play the campaign with my friends to introduce them to wesnoth.
However, the downside of the campaign is that its unrestricted freedom making it lack balance control. There is little force to push players into risks, so they can just build too large an army that makes them lose motivations to play on.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons