Your favourite campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OmnisScio

Your favourite campaigns

Post by OmnisScio »

Greetings

I was wondering what peoples favourite campaigns were. There is a lot of content on the add-in server, and I do not know what ones are complete, what races you play in them and who the main characters are. Is there a place where that information can be found?

Also, what campaigns, and what are the best campaigns that have a female protagonist? It's annoys me a bit that not one of the mainline campaigns has a female protagonist.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Your favourite campaigns

Post by Paulomat4 »

yes, there were attempts to list all campaigns. take look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Content and http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Player_UMC_Reviews
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

After the Storm and For Power have female protagonists. As far as I remember.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Fate of a princess obviously has a female protagonist. That said, a lot of campaign have female characters just as important than male. Bad Moon rising, Legend of the Invincibles, A new Order, and more you'll find on the review list.

Friendly,
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

I'm not sure if after the storm and fate of a princess have female protagonists, although, I haven't yet played them. It says in that umc campaign list that after the storm is "Follow the journey of Galas and his band following the events of Invasion from the Unknown", which implies that this Galas is the protagonist.
Likewise with fate of a princess, the description sounds more like you are rescuing this princess, rather than playing as her.

By the way, when I say protagonist, I mean the singular main character that the story perspective follows, the other characters don't matter. For example, in HttT, Konrad and only Konrad, is the protagonist.

I thank you for the suggestions though.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It says in that umc campaign list that after the storm is "Follow the journey of Galas and his band following the events of Invasion from the Unknown", which implies that this Galas is the protagonist.
Why is it a campaign with a female protagonost - warning: story spoilers included:
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

OmnisScio wrote:Likewise with fate of a princess, the description sounds more like you are rescuing this princess, rather than playing as her.
No. She rescues/saves people and cities in the story/game. This is a part of her lines:
You told me I should never have been born. You are wrong! I am half Greenwood elf, half Dorest human. I was born to save the people of Dorest and the elves of the Greenwood from your madness, and even those poor orcs of yours from senseless enslavement. I shall save you, too, from doing any further harm.
FoaP campaign is a story about a half-elven princess. But the game leaders, who recruit units, are not she.
You can try beetlenaut's Secrets of the Ancients if you would like to play a campaign with a female protagonist who also recruits untis.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OmnisScio wrote: By the way, when I say protagonist, I mean the singular main character that the story perspective follows, the other characters don't matter. For example, in HttT, Konrad and only Konrad, is the protagonist.
HttT has a simple storyline/progression, a lot of the other add-ons aren't like that. They have multiple protagonists, some of whom are female.

There's this Ooze campaign, which is better than the name might lead you to believe: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17044
The protagonist is a slime, but it rides around in, and masquerades as, an Elf Sorceress, so it sort of fits the bill.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Moved to the Users' Forum.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll have to give these campaigns a try.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

My undead campaign, Secrets of the Ancients, has a female protagonist / leader.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, if you wanna give them a try, my campaigns A Song of Fire and Aria of the Dragon-Slayer both have female protagonists; and both Soldier of Wesnoth and War of the Jewel have male protagonists followed by female co-leaders. ;-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

I would like to play [Secrets of the ancients], [A song of fire] and [ Aria of the dragon slayer], but I cannot locate them. I looked on the add-on server by typing "Secrets", "Ancients", Song, "Fire", Dragon slayer". None of these search terms returned the campaigns I was looking for. I also went to the relevant forum topics, but there were no downloads there either.

I currently do not know how to access servers other than the default one.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Are you using 1.10? Secrets of the Ancients, at least, is only available on 1.12.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

That's weird. I only recently (re)downloaded the game (new computer). The download page had 1.10 as stable and 1.11 as currently working on, but unstable, version, so I downloaded the 1.10. Now all of a sudden, 1.12 is stable.

Is there a way to update the game without having to download all of 1.12?

Finally, thank you for the swift reply.