Will be Wesnoth forever 2D-only?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Will be Wesnoth forever 2D-only?

Post by Blarumyrran »

iceiceice wrote:
Blarumyrran wrote:i think a big problem with 3d is that most of Wesnoth takes place on land. Most creatures of Wesnoth cannot fly.That said I do not think wesnoth should take placein air because very few flying creatures would be in air 24/7 like balloons - so it'd be silly to have eg griffins remain continuously separated from the ground by multiple tiles of height. I think a better bet is underwater - although that would require modifications for most units too.
Agreed, the proper use of a more powerful wesnoth map engine would be to make impossible / mind bending landscapes, not more dead space for gryphons to inhabit...

I have seen the future of wesnoth, and it involves a two pronged grunt rush up both sides of the central staircase :P
Maybe with a three dimensional perspective, where everything rotates at the will of the viewer - from one angle of view, an orc is a unit and a field is a terrain - but from another, the orc becomes the terrain, and the field the unit? The player must rotate his angles carefully.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Hmmm it's tough to tell if the Banner Saga in-game gfx are actually toon rendered 3D, or if they are "classically" drawn. :hmm:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

if i had to guess id say, buildings are done with significant help from 3d, rest is drawn