How do you read "Irdya"?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ventulus

How do you read "Irdya"?

Post by Ventulus »

I am now translating the http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth to Chinese. How do you read "Irdya"?
Irdya
The name of the world in which the kingdom of Wesnoth is situated is "Irdya". This term is , however, only rarely used in the era depicted by the main map. People normally just say "the world" or, poetically, "the wide green world".
"Ir" to pronounce /iə/ or /i:/ or /ai/ or /aiə/?
"dya " to pronounce /dəʒa:/ or /diʒa:/ or /da:/ ?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: How do you read "Irdya"?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I just pronounce Irdya like this: eir-dia
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Irdya reminds me of the German word "Erde" (which means "Earth"). i dont know if there is an ancient Wesnoth language from which the names are derived.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I came up with the name first (for IftU), and then ESR appropriated it for mainline following a brainstorming session (early 2008) we had for some UMC era that never came to fruition; so some may say I still have some kind of authority on the name, I guess?

The name originally cropped up in IftU scenario 9 (The Library) as Irya, but I replaced it with Irdya in r5126 (mid 2009) for reasons I do not remember anymore. In fact, it’s far more likely that the introduction of the ‘d’ was a typo since ‘r’ and ‘d’ are so close to each other on QWERTY keyboards. It is also possible that I had typoed it during my conversation with ESR first, and then proceeded to replace the previous name in IftU because Irdya sounded so much better.

What I do remember and know for sure is that I have always pronounced Irdya as though it was written and pronounced “Irdia” in Spanish, although I tend to pronounce the initial vowel as a /ɪ/ sound.

Sorry if this may disappoint the linguists in the audience, but I rarely give much thought to this kind of thing.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Ventulus wrote:I am now translating the http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth to Chinese. How do you read "Irdya"?
You don't. If you have any decency, you will ignore the word and not spread it through translations. Just leave out all sections of the wiki that contain it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Blarumyrran wrote:You don't. If you have any decency, you will ignore the word and not spread it through translations. Just leave out all sections of the wiki that contain it.
Could you elaborate, please?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

I say something like /ɜrdjə/ (or perhaps /ɜrdiə/)... without yod coalescence, of course, so the /dj/ isn’t realized as [dʒ].
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Blarumyrran wrote:
Ventulus wrote:I am now translating the http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth to Chinese. How do you read "Irdya"?
You don't. If you have any decency, you will ignore the word and not spread it through translations. Just leave out all sections of the wiki that contain it.
I think Blarumyrran means, or at least what I think, is don’t translate it. Can you write “Irdya” in roman letters on the Chinese page?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ancestral wrote:I think Blarumyrran means, or at least what I think, is don’t translate it. Can you write “Irdya” in roman letters on the Chinese page?
If my memory serves, that is not really what he means.

Either way, it is common in languages that don’t use the Latin script to transliterate foreign words like that; hence the importance of the original pronunciation.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

shadowmaster wrote: What I do remember and know for sure is that I have always pronounced Irdya as though it was written and pronounced “Irdia” in Spanish, although I tend to pronounce the initial vowel as a /ɪ/ sound.
At least Polish translators wouldn't have any problems with this because it is exactly how the Poles would naturally spell this name. :)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

ancestral wrote:
Blarumyrran wrote:I am now translating the http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Geography_of_Wesnoth to Chinese. How do you read "Irdya"?

I think Blarumyrran means, or at least what I think, is don’t translate it. Can you write “Irdya” in roman letters on the Chinese page?
I think Blarumyrran means: Don't translate it as it is a bad/uneeded piece of lore which could be easily avoided and shouldn't be propogated, possibly should be left off the English translations too.
Not saying that I agree, just saying that that's how I interpreted his comment.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

UnwiseOwl wrote:I think Blarumyrran means: Don't translate it as it is a bad/uneeded piece of lore which could be easily avoided and shouldn't be propogated, possibly should be left off the English translations too.
Not saying that I agree, just saying that that's how I interpreted his comment.
Well, if that is the case (which is pretty likely since I recall him objecting to the matter before), then all I’ve got to say to that is:

Code: Select all

shadowm@nanacore:~/src/wesnoth$ fgrep -nRI Irdya data/campaigns data/core       
data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/scenarios/chapter1/01_The_Uprooting.cfg:500:                message= _ "Velon, I swear on the life of Irdya that I will not let you be forgotten while elves yet draw breath to sing."
data/campaigns/Delfadors_Memoirs/scenarios/09_Houses_of_the_Undead.cfg:509:            message=_"I am the will of An-Usrukhar, greatest of mages, he who bestrode Irdya in the morning of time, who sleeps now in a death beyond death until the unmaking of the world."
data/core/units.cfg:105:    # wmllint: general spellings Irdya Wesmere Lintanir Aethenwood
data/core/encyclopedia/geography.cfg:63:    title= _ "Irdya"
data/core/encyclopedia/geography.cfg:64:    text= _ "The name of the world in which the kingdom of <ref>dst='kingdom_wesnoth' text='Wesnoth'</ref> is situated is ‘Irdya’. This term is, however, only rarely used in the era depicted by the main map. People normally just say “the world” or, poetically, “the wide green world”."
And that was not my doing, mind you.

Considering that this topic is a help request, his particular kind of vague comments should really be either explained or avoided entirely, though.

EDIT: Added more mainline instances of the name. I think we can all agree that “the wide green world” sounds like something belonging to kids’ literature, though.