Wesnoth 1.10.5 for iphone/ipad & source code is out now!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Wesnoth 1.10.5 for iphone/ipad & source code is out now!

Post by Gambit »

TreeBearded wrote:I disagree. This is an opensource game...meaning that on all platforms it should be free.
That is not what that means.
howwitty

Post by howwitty »

I recently purchased Wesnoth from the App store for my iPod. I find it to be entertaining, though it appears to lack some of the features of the original. It was not an easy decision for me to make, since it is indeed available for free, on a more accessible platform. Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to listen to music via the Music app on my iPod while playing a game with the AI. I think some questions are left unanswered here. One such question is, how will Wesnoth be profitable if it is to be both open source and free?

Maybe this app is profitable for Dailin, and maybe the Wesnoth community can take example from his app. I applaud Dailin for his efforts.
I'm tired.
kapnbanjo

Post by kapnbanjo »

TreeBearded wrote:I disagree. This is an opensource game...meaning that on all platforms it should be free. The person taking the task knew in advance that wesnoth was opensoure. Nothing more than a money grab imho. sorry to disagree.
Not a money grab when the source code is openly a available. Jailbreak your iDevice and you can install for free if you know how. But if you want the easy path that's costing dailin hundreds of dollars for the dev tools and price of posting the app in the App Store, well it costs him time and money to do that.

His source code is available. You can install it for free. Just not as easily and without jailbreaking.
dailin

Post by dailin »

TreeBearded wrote:I disagree. This is an opensource game...meaning that on all platforms it should be free. The person taking the task knew in advance that wesnoth was opensoure. Nothing more than a money grab imho. sorry to disagree.
I follow GPL and make agreement with Wesnoth team that part of income will be used to support wesnoth.

BTW, new version got some problems, may need some more time. :(
lipk

Post by lipk »

One such question is, how will Wesnoth be profitable if it is to be both open source and free?
Wesnoth is not a business and it doesn't aim profitability.
kapnbanjo

Post by kapnbanjo »

lipk wrote:
One such question is, how will Wesnoth be profitable if it is to be both open source and free?
Wesnoth is not a business and it doesn't aim profitability.
Which is one of many reasons we love you. :)
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Hey dailin, how's the project going recently? :)
I am just hanging around here and visit you; some good news have arrived as well.

I have been recommending your ipone version wesnoth to nearly all my friends around me for a while, and I did get lots of positive feedbacks. They were expecting you to continue on updating, so don't give up! :wink: we are always with you.

BR
Axa
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Any thoughts on bringing in async Game Center multiplayer? This to me is the crucial thing missing at the moment.
dailin

Post by dailin »

AxalaraFlame wrote:Hey dailin, how's the project going recently? :)
I am just hanging around here and visit you; some good news have arrived as well.

I have been recommending your ipone version wesnoth to nearly all my friends around me for a while, and I did get lots of positive feedbacks. They were expecting you to continue on updating, so don't give up! :wink: we are always with you.

BR
Axa
Thanks for your support. :D
Jambo wrote:Any thoughts on bringing in async Game Center multiplayer? This to me is the crucial thing missing at the moment.
Async Game Center multiplayer is in my plan,but I need to fix translation bugs, user experience and performance problems first,then add Async Game Center feature.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hey dailin,

I just got an iPod touch for the first time yesterday (I'm so poor :( ) and I bought the iWesnoth app. No bug reports just yet, but I just wanna say that I really appreciate the work you've done and so far I think you've done a fine job :D So, just take my money, I don't even want it! I'm glad that I can support, even if just a little, by buying. I'll also post a review in the app store.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. This topic seems to be getting like 90% of the activity in User's Forum. I'm glad that now I can actually be part of it xD
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
dailin

Post by dailin »

Thank you very much :) i will try my best on this work.

BTW, because of an intolerable multilanguage bug in iphone, i will release a fix update only for iphone in the near future.
Feareth

Post by Feareth »

howwitty wrote:I recently purchased Wesnoth from the App store for my iPod. I find it to be entertaining, though it appears to lack some of the features of the original. It was not an easy decision for me to make, since it is indeed available for free, on a more accessible platform. Unfortunately, I seem to be unable to listen to music via the Music app on my iPod while playing a game with the AI. I think some questions are left unanswered here. One such question is, how will Wesnoth be profitable if it is to be both open source and free?

Maybe this app is profitable for Dailin, and maybe the Wesnoth community can take example from his app. I applaud Dailin for his efforts.
Put your music on open the app it will then turn off your music then double tap your home button swipe the menu to the left hit the play button tap on to the loading app area which everponnt it is at your music will continue playing
Xero

Post by Xero »

Hi, I've been loving the new iPhone version and the fact that its not abandoned like KP's version. Thanks for all you've done so far to support it; keep up the good work!

I am playing my first add-on campaign: Bad Moon Rising. I've made it to the third installment and am currently on the scenario titled Escape the Legion. As soon as the dialog box from the northern enemy comes up, the game crashes with an error message basically saying that the picture is too big. I found the solution from the creator of BMR to merely delete the offending file (picture).

My question is: How might I go about deleting a file on the phone? I could delete it off my computer with my eyes closed, but I am no whiz with the newfangled technology of this contraption. I was fully engrossed in the story and absolutely loving your version, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh, I almost forgot. The only recommendation I have for a tweak is to be able to tap on the mini map to create a full screen map. This helps so much with orientation. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints! Thank you!
dailin

Post by dailin »

Xero wrote:Hi, I've been loving the new iPhone version and the fact that its not abandoned like KP's version. Thanks for all you've done so far to support it; keep up the good work!

I am playing my first add-on campaign: Bad Moon Rising. I've made it to the third installment and am currently on the scenario titled Escape the Legion. As soon as the dialog box from the northern enemy comes up, the game crashes with an error message basically saying that the picture is too big. I found the solution from the creator of BMR to merely delete the offending file (picture).

My question is: How might I go about deleting a file on the phone? I could delete it off my computer with my eyes closed, but I am no whiz with the newfangled technology of this contraption. I was fully engrossed in the story and absolutely loving your version, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh, I almost forgot. The only recommendation I have for a tweak is to be able to tap on the mini map to create a full screen map. This helps so much with orientation. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints! Thank you!
Addons may have some bugs in iphone.You can use intrusments to delete file in iphone. eg ifunbox
Fullscreen minimap is ready.Pls look forword to new version
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Hey dailin:
Recenltly we have started few projects, including a crossover campaigns and peer introductions (obviously you are an elder :lol2: ), in the local forums.
However, being unable to contact you, I could only come here and ask you whether you are interested.

BR
Axa
P.S. How's this Ipone project going recently? You have been the porter for few months but we didn't see the changes of your ID's color.