Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Android support thread

Post by alep »

The linker command you posted seems correct.
If you run it on command line, do you get the same errors?

I'd say there's something broken in your building environment because the undefined references you get should be provided by the libgnustl_shared.so library, which is not part of my package, but is instead copied during the build from android ndk to obj/ folder.
Are you using Google's official android ndk, right?

I suggest to clean and try to build again, and maybe also to download and reinstall the ndk.

Hope this helps.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

This is what I get:
Spoiler:
I am using the official NDK, but it may not be installed the way it should be.
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

alep wrote:The only official available Wesnoth version for Android is an obsolete version (1.8.).
Besides, I honestly don't like the approach of that version, which includes major modifications of the UI to adapt it to touchscreens.
It's good news that you built 1.10 version for Android, but I disagree with your opinion about the UI. The "virtual mouse" is not very handy for a touch screen, especially in the case of a phone's small screen. :?

Wouldn't it be possible to take advantage of cjhopman's interface, and integrate it in your port? Then, I would gladly pay another time for the same game, because it seems that cjhopman is not very active on updating his port.

Thank you, and regards
GalaxyS4

Post by GalaxyS4 »

What model is your device?
Samsung Galaxy S4
What version of Android is it running?
Android 4.2.2
Complete description of problem you’re having.
Incompatible with my device
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

gnomius wrote:It's good news that you built 1.10 version for Android, but I disagree with your opinion about the UI. The "virtual mouse" is not very handy for a touch screen, especially in the case of a phone's small screen. :?

Hello, and thanks for the feedback.
Actually, specially on a small screen, I think that the "virtual mouse" method -as you called it- is more precise than the traditional one (tapping directly on hex field or small buttons).
But, as you too said, it's just an opinion and I understand that if you don't like it, well, you have your reasons.
gnomius wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to take advantage of cjhopman's interface, and integrate it in your port? Then, I would gladly pay another time for the same game, because it seems that cjhopman is not very active on updating his port.
I am sorry, but I won't integrate cjhopman's UI changes into my port. I'd rather make things work better as they are right now.
For example, I believe that map scrolling is quite essential, and on device without trackpad scrolling is not easy right now. For this reason, I am going to use two-fingers swipes to send arrow keys to the application thus scrolling the map. I am currently testing this feature and it's gonna be released soon.

[/color][/b]
GalaxyS4 wrote:What model is your device?
Samsung Galaxy S4
What version of Android is it running?
Android 4.2.2
Complete description of problem you’re having.
Incompatible with my device
...you don't say if you are using the official port or not... but if it's a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini then it doesn't meet the screen size requirements.
Last edited by 8680 on July 26th, 2013, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post [Posting Guidelines §1f].
GalaxyS4

Post by GalaxyS4 »

I have the regular galaxy s4. I have tried both the official and unofficial links below and they both tell me it is incompatible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ttle&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... noth&hl=en
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The first of those is cjhopman's port, based on 1.8. The second is alep's new port, based on 1.10.

Both of them are compatible with both my old HTC Desire HD and my new Nexus 4. I don't really see what they have that the Galaxy S4 doesn't. Do you have more specific information to give us?
BacCM

Full version is not started.

Post by BacCM »

I use Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Free version work well.
But full version is not started.
After start it dowloaded cache and terminated.
At next launch it show "black screen" about 5 sec and terminated.
mneme

Post by mneme »

alep wrote:Hello.

The only official available Wesnoth version for Android is an obsolete version (1.8).
Besides, I honestly don't like the approach of that version, which includes major modifications of the UI to adapt it to touchscreens.
I mean, with this approach every upgrade will need a great effort (and this is probably one of the reason why we are still at 1.8). Furthermore, many functionalities are unavailable.

That's why I built a 1.10.6 for Android, and I now am happily playing Wensoth on my phone and my tablet.

This version uses touchscreen to emulate the mouse and software or hardware keyboards for keystrokes.
Compared to the official version, IMHO, the controls are a little slower but you have everything which is available in the PC version, like for example:

- map zooming
- planning mode
- shroud updates delaying
- keyboard shortcuts [Tip: use an extended software keyboard; i.e. Hacker's Keyboard is available on Google Play and includes CTRL key and numeric keypad]
- language localization
- addons download

Also, if you have a screen larger than 800x480 (which is the minimum needed to play) the game will run on full resolution on your screen.

Since the result looked pretty good, I made it available on Google Play as unofficial port.
You can find it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ra.wesnoth

The price is 1 EUR (a little more than 1 USD), and it's just for covering the porting effort which took several days for debugging, since running the code as-is made the game crash at startup; to avoid this some little fixes have been applied to the sources [*].

There is a trial version available to check if you like how the game feels on your device; it's available here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... esnothfree

The only difference between the free version and the paid one is: the free version will shut itself down after 10 minutes.

I will try to keep it up to date as new maintenance versions come out.

[*] You can found modified sources here: http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... 0.6.tar.gz

Hope you'll like it.

Alessandro Pira
I have your version, and it looks nice, i like how you solved the mouse movement and so on...but i have a problema. My device is an Samsung S4 and it has too high resolution, i cant read anything...all the objects are just too small. is there any workaround about this ? Thanks
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

mneme wrote:I have your version, and it looks nice, i like how you solved the mouse movement and so on...but i have a problema. My device is an Samsung S4 and it has too high resolution, i cant read anything...all the objects are just too small. is there any workaround about this ? Thanks
You can go to video preference and select a lower screen resolution, like for example 800x480.
On android this has the effect of making everything "bigger".

Hope this helps.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Re: Full version is not started.

Post by alep »

BacCM wrote:I use Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Free version work well.
But full version is not started.
After start it dowloaded cache and terminated.
At next launch it show "black screen" about 5 sec and terminated.
This problem should be fixed.
Please uninstall, delete any custom installation folder (if you selected it) and reinstall. It should then be launched ok.
Excalibur827

Post by Excalibur827 »

Just bought this yesterday, and I must say I'm very impressed with how smooth it plays. Had to get used to the mouse controls, but it's second nature now. Good job Dev and keep with the great work on this amazing game!
Piemax

Post by Piemax »

Galaxy Nexus 7
When I go to preferences/display from within the campaign only 5 options appear, none of them is change resolution- on the Windows version the change display option is on the bottom and the top 5 items are only about half the screen.
how do I get to the change-display toggle?
Piemax

Post by Piemax »

To clarify: I can't play the game now as the font is impossibly small.
Nexus 7 (new one, 1920x1200) Android 4.2
I can just see enough to manage to get to the display options but here there are only 5 choices, the top 5
from the same screen in the Windows version, and I don't see how to get to the change-display toggle.
can't seem to scroll the list of display choices to reveal more.
So I'm stuck until someone tells me what to do...
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Piemax wrote:To clarify: I can't play the game now as the font is impossibly small.
Nexus 7 (new one, 1920x1200) Android 4.2
I can just see enough to manage to get to the display options but here there are only 5 choices, the top 5
from the same screen in the Windows version, and I don't see how to get to the change-display toggle.
can't seem to scroll the list of display choices to reveal more.
So I'm stuck until someone tells me what to do...
If you are using my version, you should hit the preference button in the main screen, select "display" on the left and then hit the "change resolution" button which is left of "theme" button below the options.
This will popup the resolution dialog.

Hope this helps.