Level 3 Outlaws: Implemented or Out of the law?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should level 3 outlaws be included?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 53

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

lilepo2023 wrote:keep players...
You don't keep people by changing things, you keep people by keeping things the same.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

if people say unless you change things we're leaving then you keep people by changing things...
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

lilepo2023 wrote:personaly i think that having an outlaw faction makes sense and would make the game infinitly more fun. but of course this is a game for DEVs not players, but you would think the DEVs would like to keep players...
no, I would think that the DEVS only are interested in keeping the game interesting for themselves, and possibly(although this might be stretching it) keeping the game interesting for contributors who add to the DEVS enjoyment of the game.

I agree that the outlaws should not be a faction and that head to head they should be weaker than their counterparts (they are not trained warriors afterall). this is perhaps one of the best reasons for removing them from the alliance with the dwarves and getting a different suitable ally for the dwarves.

That said, I'd prefer to have third level versions of all playable units, except, perhaps, those that start at level 0.
Elvish_Pillager

lilepo2023 wrote:if people say unless you change things we're leaving then you keep people by changing things...
If people have this kind of attitude the devs ignore them.
Darth Fool wrote:I'd prefer to have third level versions of all playable units, except, perhaps, those that start at level 0.
I would not[1], but I sure would like a lot more than we have now. Orcish assassins, orcish archers, goblin pillagers(I may make graphics!), Dwarvixh berserkers, Saurians of all types, et cetera...

[1]: Most notably the Lancer. The obvious upgrade, to about 15-3, would be ridiculous. Do we WANT a unit that regularly deals 68 damage in one attack?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

You mean 70 damage? or even 105 damage with time-of-day?

With these level 3 units, I don't see how it would make outlaws more of their own faction. These are not recruitable. Also, these would help give knalgans a better chance in Age of Heroes.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

Darth Fool wrote:I'd prefer to have third level versions of all playable units, except, perhaps, those that start at level 0.
I would not[1], but I sure would like a lot more than we have now. Orcish assassins, orcish archers, goblin pillagers(I may make graphics!), Dwarvixh berserkers, Saurians of all types, et cetera...

[1]: Most notably the Lancer. The obvious upgrade, to about 15-3, would be ridiculous. Do we WANT a unit that regularly deals 68 damage in one attack?[/quote]

I think Darth means a level 3 upgrade for every level one unit, not for every chain.
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

---Douglas Adams
lilepo2023

Post by lilepo2023 »

EP - if i wanted attention i'd run down the street naked, thats not what we are argueing about though so...

Darth- just because they don't have as much armor or sharper swords doesn't always mean that they don't have tricks of their own or skills that make them twice as deadly...
im sinning but im winning at the same time/took a couple shots from a coward tryin ta take mine/back in the hood wit a chopper an a tech nine... im doin 100 on the hi way/u doin the speed limit then get the f*ck outta my way...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

lilepo2023 wrote:EP - if i wanted attention i'd run down the street naked, thats not what we are argueing about though so...
But we're not arguing. We're ignoring you :wink:
Elvish_Pillager

lilepo2023 wrote:EP - if i wanted attention i'd run down the street naked, thats not what we are argueing about though so...
This is ridiculously off-topic... I can't even tell what you're referring to.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I can't even tell what you're referring to.
Elvish Pillager wrote:If people have this kind of attitude the devs ignore them.
scott

Post by scott »

SO back on topic, what would be appropriate stats for outlaws in relation to Loyalist equivalents?

I looked at the unit configs and realized that the L3 outlaws are immensely powerful, comparable to or surpassing the Master Bowman and Iron Mauler counterparts. Who would be a good comparison counterpart to the Fugitive?

I don't want to make the campaign unplayable by having L3 units that are too weak, but I think there's some room here to work with.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

My impression was that we intended for the footpad/trapper/thug line to stop at lvl 2 for the reason that as a non-organised faction, they were supposed to be weaker.

However, a campaign based on these types would definitely need a level 3. I'm not so sure that it wouldn't unbalance TRoW, for example. So I think we could leave them as campaign specials for the time being.

The name Fugitive is good for a enemy leader, but as a unit name, it's not that good. How about footpad to outlaw to Renegade?

In terms of stats, I agree with the intention that they should remain weaker than their loyalist counterparts. Bear in mind that they may have better defense stats in certain kinds of rough terrain. I also think that they generally (or at least the poacher) requires less XP to level. That could be the compensating factor (though it makes campaigns less fun for some... I think skill is its own reward, though)
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Elvish_Pillager

scott wrote:Who would be a good comparison counterpart to the Fugitive?
Elvish Outrider :twisted:
PsychoticKittens

hmmm

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Might I ask if I can use these stats and names?... I'm making an Era in which has more advancement paths as well as everything going to lvl 3 or better (4 tops). Outlaws get me stuck Idea wise. (except I already have 2 poacher lvl 3's) and yes, Even the level 0's will go up to 3 (I already have goblin impaler level up to 3 and idea for goblin rouser to lvl 4)
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on June 16th, 2006, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

you could just download the level 3 outlaws from the 1.0 server and stop resurrecting threads about them...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm