Forum "rules"

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Forum "rules"

Post by turin »

some of these suggestions are for new users, some apply to old ones as well. just a few friendly reminders. :P

1) do not use "u" for you, "ppl" for people, etc. Remember that the forum is used by people from many different countries, and using terms such as these add to the difficulty they have understanding what is said.

2) if large majority of devs and users disagree with you... do not argue. all this does is make people annoyed at you, it does not help whatever cause you are advocating.

3) if you have nothing to say, say nothing at all. posting "hi", or something else similarly pointless and offtopic, serves no purpose.

4) before posting a new idea, do a search using the forum search tool to see if it has been proposed. if it has, don't post unless you have something new to add to the discussion.
also, if you post and get a bunch of responses saying "do a search", do so.

5) try to avoid disliking something because of who proposed it. consider any suggestion / new campaign / multoplayer map on its own merits.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Forum "rules"

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: 1) do not use "u" for you, "ppl" for people, etc. Remember that the forum is used by people from many different countries, and using terms such as these add to the difficulty they have understanding what is said.
As well as it making you just sound silly and immature...
turin wrote: 3) if you have nothing to say, say nothing at all. posting "hi", or something else similarly pointless and offtopic, serves no purpose.
I think it's okay for a new user to make one post which basically says "hi, I'm new here, I like the game". It doesn't hurt to be friendly...

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Forum "rules"

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
turin wrote: 3) if you have nothing to say, say nothing at all. posting "hi", or something else similarly pointless and offtopic, serves no purpose.
I think it's okay for a new user to make one post which basically says "hi, I'm new here, I like the game". It doesn't hurt to be friendly...

David
I meant people who just take a random thread and make a post that just says "hi" in it, and nothing else (and then do this multiple times). I have no problem with people who make an introductory post. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh, sure...people who make posts like that can expect the posts to be deleted and/or them to be banned...
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

new suggestion.

6) When joining the forums, try not to post a whole bunch of ideas/queries/suggestions all at once. in my experience, this makes you noticed, but not popular. Its usually better to start participating in discussions, then suggest ideas one by one.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:new suggestion.

6) When joining the forums, try not to post a whole bunch of ideas/queries/suggestions all at once. in my experience, this makes you noticed, but not popular. Its usually better to start participating in discussions, then suggest ideas one by one.
Although this is a good idea in theory, I suspect that in practice it won't work, since a lot of people join the forums because they have ideas that they would like to share...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I think you should at least wait until your first idea is responded to before posting the rest... there are often points which apply to all of them.
scott

Post by scott »

Yeah like
read the FPI
read the FPI
read the FPI
no
read the FPI
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think not posting a whole lot of ideas when you're really new, and haven't lurked for a while is good advice.

Arriving at the forums and immediately posting a long list of ideas really sets yourself up for a 'confrontation' that is likely to make you feel frustrated.

If you can tolerate terse rejection of each and every idea you post, then you can probably use this approach....otherwise don't :)

David
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but i think that this one of those threads that could use a occasional bump.

Please! Don`t use more emoticons than letters in your messages! It looks just as childish as typing with caps lock on. I think that the ultimate maximum number of emoticons in one message is 3.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Burnsaber wrote:I think that the ultimate maximum number of emoticons in one message is 3.
Huh? :?

If the post is very long (unlike this one :wink: ) then it is perfectly reasonable to use more than 3 emoticons.

I, in fact, think that it's fine to use as many emoticons as you think would be useful to show your emotions. (I don't need them here :roll:)

Of course, you might be referring to the forum's allowed maximum, in which case you're obviously wrong. :shock:
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on December 31st, 2004, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Burnsaber wrote:I think that the ultimate maximum number of emoticons in one message is 3.
Huh? :?

If the post is very long (unlike this one :wink: ) then it is perfectly reasonable to sue more than 3 emoticons.

I, in fact, think that it's fine to use as many emoticons as you think would be useful to show your emotions. (I don't need them here)

Of course, you might be referring to the forum's allowed maximum, in which case you're obviously wrong. :shock:
^^^ Much better 8)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

Yeah, i forgot about long messages, orginally my rant supposed to be against messages like

I feel <something> emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon,emoticon

They are disturbing...
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

You forgot the most important suggetion : Dont speak newbies with abrevations ^^, I cant understand them all at all actually :D .... but iam improving :)
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D