Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Someone is selling Wesnoth on eBay

Post by artisticdude »

fabi wrote:
Kalajel wrote:True, but as disgusting as it is, on the other end of the spectrum, if someone is too stupid to make a simple "free PC games" or "free Mac games" search on Google, they deserve to be robbed of their money... as the old adage says; "A fool and his money are easily departed"...
I strongly disagree there.
Most people who don't have the education/knowledge/intelligence and thus get fooled easily are also poor as well.

Taking money from the poor by tricking them is just antisocial,
and no, a stupid person don't deserves to be mistreated.
I'm with fabi on this one. Just because someone isn't smart or educated enough to realize that someone is ripping them off is in no way justification for the fraud. A fool and his money are easily parted, sure, but that doesn't mean that they deserve to be parted.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

And why SHOULD you do research whether a game is avaible for free if you have no reason to think it was? This argument "If they fall for it-their fault" is very easy to make for us who know that it is fraudulent, but I do not think this is not an obvious scam where it might be applyable. Really, posting reviews about this user's/scum's deceptions is correct, not contemplacy. At least if there is really nothing illegal about it.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Drakefriend wrote:And why SHOULD you do research whether a game is available for free if you have no reason to think it was? This argument "If they fall for it-their fault" is very easy to make for us who know that it is fraudulent, but I do not think this is not an obvious scam where it might be applicable. Really, posting reviews about this user's/scum's deceptions is correct, not contemplacy. At least if there is really nothing illegal about it.
I'm not saying that we should forget the deal and have a good laugh at their expense, I'm just saying that making a better product and selling for less would only be, a little low down? I just meant that if they checked ebay before they checked google, then the best you can do would just put a review right there under his product where people could see it.
Yes, this is wickedly trollish, but if we all signed onto ebay and said something, that would, be 40 1 star reviews telling people to stop buying?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Boldek wrote:
Drakefriend wrote:And why SHOULD you do research whether a game is available for free if you have no reason to think it was? This argument "If they fall for it-their fault" is very easy to make for us who know that it is fraudulent, but I do not think this is not an obvious scam where it might be applicable. Really, posting reviews about this user's/scum's deceptions is correct, not contemplacy. At least if there is really nothing illegal about it.
I'm not saying that we should forget the deal and have a good laugh at their expense, I'm just saying that making a better product and selling for less would only be, a little low down? I just meant that if they checked ebay before they checked google, then the best you can do would just put a review right there under his product where people could see it.
Yes, this is wickedly trollish, but if we all signed onto ebay and said something, that would, be 40 1 star reviews telling people to stop buying?
Raising our voices on ebay is definitely a good idea.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Alright. Lets do it!
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

powershot wrote:Alright. Lets do it!
No. You're too young.
Most people I know would even think about it, even if the did know that it were free elsewhere, they would think that it were piracy; just as with Windows 7, one wouldn't try to find it for free. And as all those ads said, "You wouldn't steal a telly, you wouldn't steal a handbag, but you would steal a movie."
Boldek wrote:I'm not saying that we should forget the deal and have a good laugh at their expense, I'm just saying that making a better product and selling for less would only be, a little low down? I just meant that if they checked ebay before they checked google, then the best you can do would just put a review right there under his product where people could see it.
Or make everybody think that BfW is rubbish?
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
Olix

Post by Olix »

Why don't you sell Wesnoth on Ebay yourself for a dollar or two, with link in the description to where the game can be obtained for free?

You can undercut the profiteers and put them out of business, raise some money for the project, and help people find out about the game all at the same time. It's like free advertising.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Drakefriend wrote:And why SHOULD you do research whether a game is avaible for free if you have no reason to think it was? This argument "If they fall for it-their fault" is very easy to make (...)
"Oh wow! This game I've never even heard before is available for cheap on eBay and if I buy it from this guy I'm saving hundreds of dollars!"
There's a little something called "If it's too good to be true...".
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Not to make them stop playing, to tell them that they can get it for free. If they are buying it off ebay from random sources than they probably won't mind downloading from some website.

They entire reason I oppose the idea of selling it is just to get the notion out of peoples heads. The entire plan is to stop innocent poeple from spending money, and even with all the links and stuff, I just feel personally that just selling it yourself no matter what intention is still degrading.or something.
Kalajel wrote:
Drakefriend wrote:And why SHOULD you do research whether a game is avaible for free if you have no reason to think it was? This argument "If they fall for it-their fault" is very easy to make (...)
"Oh wow! This game I've never even heard before is available for cheap on eBay and if I buy it from this guy I'm saving hundreds of dollars!"
There's a little something called "If it's too good to be true...".
That's why I think commenting on the product is the best you can do. They don't have to look anywhere, make any comparisons, have any doubts. You give 'em a link and tell them they're being cheated.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Why would someone stumble across something on eBay and then just instantly buy it without even researching it at all? I never buy anything online without researching it extensively and reading reviews. (I always assumed that was typical, but maybe most people don't do that and I'm just the oddball for being so studious... :P )
While I don't think that anyone deserves to get ripped off just because they're stupid, I certainly don't feel bad for anyone who would buy a game online without looking up the game's website or even bothering to just Google it.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Guys, I think the point is just that it's the principle of the entire fiasco. There's nothing technically "wrong" legally (from what I understand), but that being said, it's still unjust to neglect to mention to the buyer that the same game is free. Not everybody checks to see if a game is free online, more than likely for the fear that the game that claims to be free may be a pirated version of the one you saw on good 'ol eBay. You could contact eBay about a problem with the buyer and/or listing, but as of now it is perfectly ok (if not morally so) to sell Wesnotb on eBay, given that the seller could get into a metaphorical pickle if enough people claim to be falsly informed. Though, in contrast, others may be selling the game on eBay for more, giving loophole credability to the "Saving hundreds!" ploy.
You can sell milk to the dairy farmer, but it's really his own fault.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Guys, I think the point is just that it's the principle of the entire fiasco. There's nothing technically "wrong" legally (from what I understand), but that being said, it's still unjust to neglect to mention to the buyer that the same game is free. Not everybody checks to see if a game is free online, more than likely for the fear that the game that claims to be free may be a pirated version of the one you saw on good 'ol eBay. You could contact eBay about a problem with the buyer and/or listing, but as of now it is perfectly ok (if not morally so) to sell Wesnotb on eBay, given that the seller could get into a metaphorical pickle if enough people claim to be falsly informed. Though, in contrast, others may be selling the game on eBay for more, giving loophole credability to the "Saving hundreds!" ploy.
Did you read all the thread?
At least one of the auctions that were pointed to is illegal as mentioned by me some posts above.
You need to provide the source code to a GPL licensed program either by shipping it on the medium or by pointing to it.
Instead the seller even claimed the copyright on the product.

A clear case of GPL violation.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

fabi wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Guys, I think the point is just that it's the principle of the entire fiasco. There's nothing technically "wrong" legally (from what I understand), but that being said, it's still unjust to neglect to mention to the buyer that the same game is free. Not everybody checks to see if a game is free online, more than likely for the fear that the game that claims to be free may be a pirated version of the one you saw on good 'ol eBay. You could contact eBay about a problem with the buyer and/or listing, but as of now it is perfectly ok (if not morally so) to sell Wesnotb on eBay, given that the seller could get into a metaphorical pickle if enough people claim to be falsly informed. Though, in contrast, others may be selling the game on eBay for more, giving loophole credability to the "Saving hundreds!" ploy.
Did you read all the thread?
At least one of the auctions that were pointed to is illegal as mentioned by me some posts above.
You need to provide the source code to a GPL licensed program either by shipping it on the medium or by pointing to it.

Ah, my apologies! I missed that part. In that case, yeah it's pretty bad.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

fabi wrote:Did you read all the thread?

Actually, as I already wrote in this thread, there's a third option: a written offer valid for at least 3 years to provide the source at cost no higher than the physical transfer.
Also, the "pointing to it" option isn't valid if you're charging money for the binaries.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Actually, if you scroll down to the very bottom of this very long list of game advertisements, he will claim the legal write to distribute the games according to the GPL, then claim copyright for the advertising copy and I think the compilation CDs themselves, but not their content. So technically, he's fine.

He does, however, write a lot of the descriptions in such a way that it sounds like these are commercial games without actually saying that they are. He even goes through the trouble of spinning the name of Free Civilization to make it sounds like it doesn't mean what it actually means. Something about if your Civilization is to prosper you have to free it. Yeah. . .

So illegal? No, I don't think so. Sleezy and deceptive? Definitely.