iPhone/iPad Support Thread [KylePoole’s port]

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Monolith

Re: iPhone/iPad Support Thread

Post by Monolith »

Remon wrote:Is there any update on the update? I have the same issue as most in this thread. It seems we all have been scammed... what a shame. :annoyed:
Read the entire thread first.

Weanoth for iOS was ported by someone unaffiliated with the official Wesnoth team. He then abandoned it, and hasn't updated it in 2 years.
maredi316

Post by maredi316 »

This is not a problem but a suggestion-how but making the screen smaller on both iphone and ipad, so that one can see more spaces on the map? Or have zoom options like they do in the pc version?
charlieh65
Translator

Post by charlieh65 »

I dont know about you, but when I play skirmish on my Iphone and have a drake as a leader, there is a weird bug. When I recruit Sky drake it doesnt move at all and it says moves:10/10. Am I the only on with this problem? Also in some skirmish maps there is no opponent and I win automatically the next turn.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
paradsecar

Post by paradsecar »

Ummm, I'm pretty sure I just got into the multiplayer lobby from my iPad. Did something change? Every time I've tried to log in I got an error message in the past. Am I mistaken or is MP working again for iOS?!
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

paradsecar wrote:Ummm, I'm pretty sure I just got into the multiplayer lobby from my iPad. Did something change? Every time I've tried to log in I got an error message in the past. Am I mistaken or is MP working again for iOS?!
You are right, one can get into a server now. Shame there's no one there to play and it doesn't appear to offer async...

I guess that means an update to enable Game Center might no longer be forthcoming...
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

It's highly unlikely that any updates are forthcoming. It's been explained earlier in this thread so I won't reiterate.

There's no one in the MP lobby because the iOS version was based on Wesnoth 1.6, so it connects to the 1.6 MP server, which is now several years old and long dead.

:(
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Check out this thread:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=15

Could be good news for us iOS users ?
vanillared

Post by vanillared »

I have been playing iWesnoth on my iPad for the past two weeks and I can hardly pout it down. The reason this version on iPad rocks is that it fully integrates the add-ons feature. The add-on campaigns have always been my favorite part of BfW. I will say that on the iPad I have had more success playing the game with a stylist that a finger, but they may be personal preference.
SuperHelge

Post by SuperHelge »

I am playing on an iPhone 4s and have a problem with the screen size on my phone.

When playing campaigns with lots of texts and particularly long conversations (UtBS comes to mind) the text tends to go outside the screen when dialogue comments are too long, with no option to scroll or otherwise read the rest of the text. It's not a huge problem, but it is fairly frustrating to complete a campaign without understanding the story. This also proved to be a problem when leveling Kaleh in UtBS as his skills (normal attack, ranged attack, stun attack and bolas) were too many to be displayed on the small screen, so that I could not see the details of what Stun actually did the last time i leveled him up, because the information was displayed "below" the screen.

I also have a rather irritating problem with IFtU, on the scenario just after you meet Mal Keshar and are crossing the desert. The opponent take literally FOREVER to finish their turn. Especially the purple opponent. Now I don't know if this is an iPhone problem or a general problem with that scenario, but it sure is boring to play - which is a pity since I just want to get through the scenario and finish the story.

I also have a very serious problem with my legs falling asleep when I'm playing BfW on my phone when I'm on the toilet and I'm also frequently missing my bus stop on my way home... But I guess that's just me.
dailin

Post by dailin »

SuperHelge wrote:I am playing on an iPhone 4s and have a problem with the screen size on my phone.

When playing campaigns with lots of texts and particularly long conversations (UtBS comes to mind) the text tends to go outside the screen when dialogue comments are too long, with no option to scroll or otherwise read the rest of the text. It's not a huge problem, but it is fairly frustrating to complete a campaign without understanding the story. This also proved to be a problem when leveling Kaleh in UtBS as his skills (normal attack, ranged attack, stun attack and bolas) were too many to be displayed on the small screen, so that I could not see the details of what Stun actually did the last time i leveled him up, because the information was displayed "below" the screen.

I also have a rather irritating problem with IFtU, on the scenario just after you meet Mal Keshar and are crossing the desert. The opponent take literally FOREVER to finish their turn. Especially the purple opponent. Now I don't know if this is an iPhone problem or a general problem with that scenario, but it sure is boring to play - which is a pity since I just want to get through the scenario and finish the story.

I also have a very serious problem with my legs falling asleep when I'm playing BfW on my phone when I'm on the toilet and I'm also frequently missing my bus stop on my way home... But I guess that's just me.
I get your problem and i will test and fix them step by step.
matxer

Post by matxer »

Why do you have to pay a small fee on iPad and Android whereas the game is free on Windows, MacOS and Linux ?
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

From the other iPhone/iPad thread:
kapnbanjo wrote:Not a money grab when the source code is openly a available. Jailbreak your iDevice and you can install for free if you know how. But if you want the easy path that's costing dailin hundreds of dollars for the dev tools and price of posting the app in the App Store, well it costs him time and money to do that.

His source code is available. You can install it for free. Just not as easily and without jailbreaking.
You can install it for free, if you compile yourself the source code. The price you pay for Android or iOS is for having it conveniently packed for you, and regularly updated. :wink:
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Yeah my iOS version hasn't been updated for a while. Kind of a waste of my money...
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

The GPL2 license is strictly enforced on this project and site. Nothing unethical has been done (afaik). Charging for the packaged binaries is legal and proper, as long as the source is available (which it is). If you think you paid for ongoing support and updates of the packaged app, perhaps there was a problem with the wording of the 1.6 app in the App store: it ought now to be labeled as obsolete even before the new one is approved/anointed...

To repeat: see Jambo's post above, regarding discussion of new version availability.
yaxinhoo

Post by yaxinhoo »

i success compile and run on simulator. why the disp of game didn't clear except toolbar and sidebar?
Attachments
Snip20130226_1.png