The South Gaurd 'Normal' Setting

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ludwig

The South Gaurd 'Normal' Setting

Post by Ludwig »

I'm fairly new to Wesnoth. I started playing "The South Gaurd" campaign. I just have a question about the game settings. Are they subjective? The choice is between easy and normal. 'Normal' is insane! I've been trying to work through the second scenario for quite a while now. I just found out about the replay option though. If I can't beat it, I might post a replay for some advice. :D
Dixie

Re: The South Gaurd 'Normal' Setting

Post by Dixie »

If it's your first time, you should definitely play "easy". Wesnoth could be qualified a "hardcore" game, in that while easy is easy, normal is signifancantly tougher, while in commercial games nowadays, normal is beatable on your first play through, easy is blatantly unchallenging and hard is (sometimes) hard. Wesnoth is not this way: I really recommend you play on easy a bit to learn the basic mechanics. Especially pay attention to terrain and time of day. Also (if it's your case), playing wesnoth as an RPG and focusing too much on levelled troops is an error: low-level cannon fodder is a must and is much more economic in the long run (although key higher-level units still have their uses).

I'm not a pro, though, so I'm jsut saying :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The difficulty ratings are fairly consistent throughout the campaigns. The South Guards real difficulties are Beginner, Easy, and Normal, if you compare this to Liberties easy, normal, and difficult you should find that the hardest difficulty for tSG is roughly as difficult as the middle difficulty for Liberty whereas Son of the Black Eye will be more difficult on any difficulty than the South Guard at its worst. I won't swear that it is entirely consistent (Its been years since I've played any of the mainline difficulties on their easiest settings) but in general I find that they do tell what they mean. EDIT: This includes when they skip difficulties, I'd say that the middle difficulty for HttT is about as hard as the hardest difficulty for tSG.

Once you get some experience under your belt, you'll find that the south guard won't present too much of a challenge even on the most difficult settings.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Velensk wrote: Once you get some experience under your belt, you'll find that the south guard won't present too much of a challenge even on the most difficult settings.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess that it's just as I feared, I have a long way to go for improvement. :lol2:
Deki

Post by Deki »

I noticed that in some campaigns one mission is greatly harder than every other, for example in the "Descent into Darkness" campaign I finished all missions on normal without much of a trouble until the "Alone at Last" mission witch is for me very hard and I lost few times. The same thing happened with "The South Guard" campaign, one mission is much harder that any other.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Some missions are there to stock up on high level units, other missions are there to make use of them.

Wesnoth -> Other Game
-----------------------
Beginner -> Hard
Easy -> Nightmare
Normal -> Like easy just that you it starts harder and ends easier (more Exp)
Hard -> Impossible to beat without cheating (or resetting turns)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

Hard is just hard, it's not impossible.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Maiklas3000 has beaten all the mainline campaign on their hardest difficulty without cheating. I've also done my share, it's possible, for most campaigns it's just not very fun do play completely riskless.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Rya wrote:Some missions are there to stock up on high level units, other missions are there to make use of them.

Wesnoth -> Other Game
-----------------------
Beginner -> Hard
Easy -> Nightmare
Normal -> Like easy just that you it starts harder and ends easier (more Exp)
Hard -> Impossible to beat without cheating (or resetting turns)
Sure...

I do not care, if you've never had it in you to master the game (I seem to recall that you were the person who was designing comp stomps and then wouldn't even play them), but don't spread misinformation or attempt to scare away new players who might become masters down the road.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Dixie wrote:If it's your first time, you should definitely play "easy". Wesnoth could be qualified a "hardcore" game, in that while easy is easy, normal is signifancantly tougher, while in commercial games nowadays, normal is beatable on your first play through, easy is blatantly unchallenging and hard is (sometimes) hard.
I think this is the most important point here. In Wesnoth you shouldn't be shy to play on easy or beginner - beginner level IS indeed for beginners. Personally I recommend reading Strategies&Tips forum, you can find lots of useful info there. Even after two years of Wesnoth I like to read stuff in there. I don't know if that's cheating but I used to open certain "How to play" pages when playing multiplayer to see what I should recruit :whistle:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Thanks for the encouragement! I decided to continue a go at it. I decided to restart from the first scenario so that I could begin the second one with a crew that was close to leveling - and I actually beat the second scenario on the 'Normal' setting. I'm ecstatic! Man, that was brutal though. I barley scathed through.
Attachments
TSG-Proven_by_the_Sword_replay.gz
TSG-Proven By the Sword Success! (Normal Setting)
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Could you post which version is this? I can't open it in 1.8.5
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Dunno wrote:Could you post which version is this? I can't open it in 1.8.5
That saved game is from 1.9.8.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Remember to be doubly wary of being counter-attacked than attacking. In other words, tis better to live and fight another day, than to launch an offensive that might backfire.

When I first tried TSG on normal, I couldn't even make it past the first scenario. This was a year ago when I first started playing. After months of practicing and reading strategies, I went back and played right through. It really just takes practice.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You got a lucky there in the end! It's nice to finally beat a hard scenario though, isn't it? A tip: Terrain makes much more of a difference than you are allowing for. Don't have a unit stand on the plains to trade blows with an enemy in the woods or castle, and try never to end a turn with a unit in the water (the opposite with a merman of course). You collected a lot of damage in situations like that.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide