Necromancers vs Liches

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caphriel

Re: Necromancers vs Liches

Post by Caphriel »

Neither are liches.
quantumfleet

Post by quantumfleet »

hhyloc wrote:I'll use Necromancer when facing an army consists mainly of Mage. Namely the A Small Favor Part 2 scenario in DiD. When you have to fight a lot of Red Mages and White Mages to get through.
I wasn't aware that DiD even gives you the choice to level up your dark sorcerers into liches. I certainly couldn't, the last time I played DiD. A month ago.
Currently working on various ideas using 1.9.8.9
powershot

Post by powershot »

You can't, it says so in the code.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Who ever said it was the original coding :whistle:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You can choose between Liches and Necromancers from the penultimate scenario onwards.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

quantumfleet wrote:
hhyloc wrote:I'll use Necromancer when facing an army consists mainly of Mage. Namely the A Small Favor Part 2 scenario in DiD. When you have to fight a lot of Red Mages and White Mages to get through.
I wasn't aware that DiD even gives you the choice to level up your dark sorcerers into liches. I certainly couldn't, the last time I played DiD. A month ago.
My bad, I finished the campaign a long time ago so I didn't remember if I cant level DS into Lich or not. But my statement above will still apply to other scenarios and campaigns.
R.I.P
averyimaginativename

Post by averyimaginativename »

Thanks for all the replies.

Listen to everything that's been said, I played DiD again and modified the game so I could level adepts to liches before the penultimate scenario.

The resistances make a much bigger difference in Alone At Last than I had realised. You don't usually face so many Arcane/Fire enemies in one sweep (or rather, they're diluted by other damage types), and you don't normally get liches here either.

But the biggest thing I overlooked was this:
17-2 is more desirable when the enemy has between 12 and 17 HP left. You can take him out in a single successful hit, where it would take 2 with 12-3. Then, again, more valuable between 25 and 34 HP, when you could take out the enemy with two successful hits, but the 12-3 would require 3. Both large-damage low-frequency attacks and large-frequency low-damage attacks are valuable, but in different situations.
The first part, I knew. The second part (between 25 and 34 HP) never occurred to me.

So yeah, I know when to advance Necromancers now.
UMC Story Images web gallery

On an indefinite Wesbreak for health reasons - please only try to get my attention for UMC story images website issues.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

I was pondering the same issue, glad I found this thread.

I will say that the lich's submerge ability is most valuable when dealing with maps with a good deal of water.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Yes, except for the fact that if it gets caught in a melee fight in the middle of shallow water, it's more than likely a goner.
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Yes, except for the fact that if it gets caught in a melee fight in the middle of shallow water, it's more than likely a goner.
Eh, necromancers don't really fare in water either. Not that I would put one there...
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

thespaceinvader wrote:17-2 is more desirable when the enemy has between 12 and 17 HP left. You can take him out in a single successful hit, where it would take 2 with 12-3. Then, again, more valuable between 25 and 34 HP, when you could take out the enemy with two successful hits, but the 12-3 would require 3. Both large-damage low-frequency attacks and large-frequency low-damage attacks are valuable, but in different situations.
That's all assuming your goal is to kill the enemy with your high-level unit. In campaigns the reverse is frequently the case (you want to just weaken it and then give the kill to a lower-level unit), in which case 17-2 would be better than 12-3 when the enemy unit has 18-23 HP left.

Also, don't forget to adjust those numbers for resistances and time of day.

------
ayearhasgone wrote:
Great_Mage_Atari wrote:Eh, necromancers don't really fare in water either. Not that I would put one there...
Not even to attack enemy cuttlefish?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Pentarctagon on September 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post
I write Bible School materials:
http://bibleschoolmaterials.blogspot.com/