The naming of wolves

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Boldek

Re: The naming of wolves

Post by Boldek »

Dogbert? If you're gonna put pin snoopy you might as well add it.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

And what's wrong with a wolf named Wolf? That's a good dog's name. And besides, that wouldn't as [acronym=Sorry doofus01, couldn't resist]bad as BMR[/acronym]. I looked through the Ukian names and found some that are [the Irish words for]: 1. Bloody Crane's-Bill (a plant) 2. The Sun 3. Green (as in, the color) and 4. What looks like a misspelling of the word for devil. :mrgreen:

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
boru

Post by boru »

Sorry but comparing Snoopy to Dogbert is like comparing Pavarotti to Justin Bieber.

MK, I don't know how you translators go about your magic of translating name strings, I'll just leave you to it. If it sounds good in U.S. english, I just throw it in there and at this point the campaign's a minefield of puns and other idioms so I think the wolf names should be relatively simple. The list will include annotations explaining where each name came from. Doofus (or anyone else) is welcome to use the name list if he wants, after all, he's made us those nice igloos and some pretty awesome keeps too.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
powershot

Post by powershot »

How about the name "Redhook", sounds deadly. :twisted:
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

What about Fenrir (giantic wolf demon from Norse Mythology), Theumisos (the Theumesian Fox was a giant mythological fox that devated a region of Greece), Laelaps (a magic dog that [acronym="The Fox was destined never to be caught, the dog to catch everything he was ordered to hunt. Zeus decided to turn both to stone to "avoid" the paradoxon."]should catch[/acronym] catch afromentioned Fox), Isegrimm, Wolfgang (a German given name), Ulf (which actually is the Norse form of Wolf)...

Of course, Rose Tyler is the best in your list. :P
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
powershot

Post by powershot »

<Fenrir has been used>

{you_may_delete} :lol2:
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
boru

Post by boru »

Drakefriend wrote:... Theumisos (the Theumesian Fox was a giant mythological fox that devated a region of Greece),
That must have been a hell of a big fox. Like, the Mothra version of a fox.

Some of the Norse ones you mention are already on my list, but I'll certainly add Laelaps and Theumesios the brobdingnagian mega fox.

EDIT: Just wondering, would the female version of the name be Teumessis? Apparently the fox was also referred to as the Cadmean vixen, therefore a female is appropriate.

Powershot, Red Hook is a neighborhood in Brooklyn. There's all kinds of places in the area called Sandy Hook and this hook and that hook, I think it goes back to when the Dutch owned the city and called it New Amsterdam.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Really!!! :shock: Sorry. :oops: :doh:
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

how about lupus? is that in?
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Boldek wrote:how about lupus? is that in?
:? Umm... my dictionary defines "lupus" as an ulcerous skin disease. Would you name your dog that?
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Lupus is latin for wolf. The disease is called Lupus erythematodes.
boru

Post by boru »

Lupi is in the list (see the first post).

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Cartoon dog names are ridiculous. They’re commercialized, mainstream and their names colorless. They would bring absolutely no culture to Wesnoth.

Please avoid choosing names popularized solely from other people’s works! Even flattery has its limits.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
boru

Post by boru »

If you don't like it don't play it.

SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Uh, Twins vs. Yankees?
Twins is hot now... But they don't meet each other until the next month.
( just trying to make it easy because I am an Angel.. :P Sorry for an off-topic.)
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server