I think I gonna give up....

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CoolDude

I think I gonna give up....

Post by CoolDude »

Really,no matter how much I play,I just lose over and over and over.

And this is very frustating,and my RNG don't help either.

Just to see,I only won 2 matches and lost 17 on my Ladder,this is very ridiculous and pathetic

I want to be a Loyalist master,but no matter faction I use(even ramdom),guess what?I lose again!Gimme a break.
monochromatic

Re: I think I gonna give up....

Post by monochromatic »

Take a breath, and calm down. Getting frustrated will just make things worse.
Play some campaigns and build some skill there. Have you ever played Eastern Invasion on Hard? And defeating all the enemy leaders in Evacuation? There's a task for you to do, but do ONE LEVEL AT A TIME. If you had played it on Easy before, play it on Medium before going to Hard. Also, observe from MP matches, particularly with good people (looking at the Strategies/Tips section and seeing who is giving all the comments is a good place to start). And then play again. That's how one gets better.
Don't be discouraged, everybody has to go through this before becoming a good player.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

CoolDude wrote:And this is very frustating,and my RNG don't help either.
Oh no, not this again.

The RNG is not biased.
The RNG is not cheating.
The RNG is not giving you low rolls intentionally.
Have you actually checked your statistics and seen if you're just remembering the bad bits where the enemy is hitting you slightly more than often? Are you sure that you didn't get a lucky streak as well?

*cough*

If you want to be a Loyalist master, start with campaigns as e_s monochromatic said. Try A Tale of Two Brothers on Hard. If you can win that without any saveloads, it's a good start.
Move onto The South Guard, try that on Hard, and only saveload back to turn 1. Can you win? Good, you're doing well then.
Move onto...well, you get the idea right?
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

CoolDude wrote:Really,no matter how much I play,I just lose over and over and over.

Just to see,I only won 2 matches and lost 17 on my Ladder,this is very ridiculous and pathetic

I want to be a Loyalist master,but no matter faction I use(even ramdom),guess what?I lose again!Gimme a break.
I'm not much of a MP player myself, but at least for me, improvement came with reading, and eventually watching replays/ observing games. I agree it might be a little tiresome, but... well.
There's also this old saying for studying sciences: A day in the library can save you a week in the lab (... a week in the hospital.)

Edit: On reepurrs post: I think this is not on the rng this time.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Reepur, I don't think he said that the RNG was biased. Bad luck can be frustrating, especially if the game is already frustrating.

I can't recommend playing the campaigns as a way to improve your multiplayer Wesnoth, because playing against an AI, especially in a campaign setting, is nothing like playing against another human.

Do what HomerJ suggested. Watch people play. Find a game with some observers and ask them questions about the game. While watching a game, try to figure out what the next moves should be, and if you're wrong, try to figure out why the players did what they did.

And don't give up. Wesnoth is hard to get good at. Be patient!
cookie

Post by cookie »

Wesnoth takes time, patience and practice!
If you just quit you wont get better and much of playing in wesnoth is decided by the teammate not only you. I can guarantee if I was in a Isars with you. That we would win. And you might not see it but you are already improving!
:)
Bye says the cookie.
salade

Post by salade »

Caphriel wrote: I can't recommend playing the campaigns as a way to improve your multiplayer Wesnoth, because playing against an AI, especially in a campaign setting, is nothing like playing against another human.
obviously, good at playing against AI doesn't mean good at playing against other human players.

not sure how well the OP knows about the game. playing campaign or any vs AI games could help you to get familiar with Wesnoth's basic principles, like using right unit type, make use of terrain and fight in a right time of day etc. To play a campaign with significant number of AI units, such as World Conquest (see my signature), you'll have to follow those basic rules strictly to survive. It won't help you to be a great player-versus-player player but learning those basics will help in pvp.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Reepurr wrote:
CoolDude wrote:And this is very frustating,and my RNG don't help either.
Oh no, not this again.

The RNG is not biased.
The RNG is not cheating.
The RNG is not giving you low rolls intentionally.
Have you actually checked your statistics and seen if you're just remembering the bad bits where the enemy is hitting you slightly more than often? Are you sure that you didn't get a lucky streak as well?

*cough*

If you want to be a Loyalist master, start with campaigns as e_s monochromatic said. Try A Tale of Two Brothers on Hard. If you can win that without any saveloads, it's a good start.
Move onto The South Guard, try that on Hard, and only saveload back to turn 1. Can you win? Good, you're doing well then.
Move onto...well, you get the idea right?
He barely mentioned the RNG. I wouldn't even mention the RNG if I were you, at the risk that the topic will get derailed into a discussion about it.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Some kinda new Murphy's Law applied to Wesnoth? :P "Don't mention the RNG, 'lest the thread become an RNG-complaint-flamewar-thing"
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
black_white

Post by black_white »

Heh I have a similar situation I don't know whether to raise. :cry:
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

black_white wrote:Heh I have a similar situation I don't know whether to raise. :cry:
Don't quit! Wesnoth still loves you!
black_white

Post by black_white »

Thanks for the consolation. :)
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Really,no matter how much I play,I just lose over and over and over.

First remember the game is there to have fun, if you don't feel like playing ladder you can always take a break. And if you feel angry/frustrated after a game TAKE A BREAK, go sit down somewhere quiet, let yourself feel the anger and frustration let them out of your system (I don't mean on other people) it's ok to feel angry and frustrated just feel them and once the anger and frustration is gone you will feel ok again. Then go play more if you still want to.
Second losses can be very frustrating but they teach much more than wins.
Third you are getting better every time you play, you can check player "Dauntless" progress graph and see even he had hard time when he started playing ladder. This is how you get good at anything take this advice to your heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1tXhJniSEc

To be honest world is not most of the time so dramatic and it can be sometimes be all sunshine and rainbows. But some of the best things in life come out of the drama, when you overcome something that you just want to give up on, when something feels overpowering but you just do it.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Practicing on SP campaigns is useless. You can only learn there how to beat up AI, not player. Reading strategies is useless. As soon as you grasp the basic principles of every faction, you know all you can about strategy. The truth is, the moment you start consciously contemplating your game decisions your performance rapidly drops (I dont mean ruminating over replay). You have to "feel" your game and I think this holds true for Wesnoth, for chess, for poker, every game.
Of course, you can learn a lot from your mistakes, but after a hundred or so MP games every player lands at some rating and stays there, no matter how many games he will play. Look at the graphs. I think this demonstrates something.
There were times I tried to be the best on my WoW server. I read strategy guides, watched pvp movies, played myriads of duels, battlegrounds and arena games and no matter what and how often I did it, my rating fixated on 1700 and stayed there. Learning from your mistakes is done unconsciously and I think how usefully one can learn is skill that itself cannot be taught or learned.

What I wrote sounds discouraging, but I think it holds true.

Another matter is to think of every problem as a challenge. Not only in Wesnoth, but in RL too. Something like Huumy's post.

And I would like to add the Hummy's first point: I think every player can recognize the point in which the game is no more fun but only frustration. The moment you realize this you have to suspend the game and do something else (physical activity works for me) until your mind is fresh and ready for the game again. Playing the game in frustration will bring you nothing but more frustration and I think the sooner every player realizes this the better for him.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but you can also post a replay in the Strategies and Tips section if you felt you didn't make any obvious mistakes but still can't figure out how you lost. There are several talented and helpful persons who visit the forums, and I'm sure they would be glad to offer advice based on your replay (if you ask nicely).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."