Great Game

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Porcupine

Great Game

Post by Porcupine »

Hello everyone!

Well, I just wanted to let you programmers know how much I am enjoying Battle for Wesnoth. I would say it is the best freeware game I ever played. Probobally one of the best I have ever played, freeware or otherwise. Keep up the good work!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Great Game

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Porcupine wrote:Hello everyone!

Well, I just wanted to let you programmers know how much I am enjoying Battle for Wesnoth. I would say it is the best freeware game I ever played. Probobally one of the best I have ever played, freeware or otherwise. Keep up the good work!
Welcome to the forums!

Wesnoth is definitely the best game I've ever played; no other game comes close. (Currently playing Freeciv, what a hypocrite I am...)

(EDIT: Started BFW v0.8.5... now playing both)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i agree with basically everything EP said, except i am not currently playing freeciv and wesnoth, i am playing nethack. :P

and BTW wesnoth it not freeware... many people will get mad if you say it is.

it is Open Source software.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

Really!? I didn't know it isn't freeware. What is it then?
Integral

Post by Integral »

Porcupine wrote:Really!? I didn't know it isn't freeware. What is it then?
Free software. See here for more information.

Daniel
silene

Post by silene »

turin wrote:it is Open Source software.
"Open source" software doesn't necessarily grant you right to modify and redistribute it. As Integral said, Wesnoth is "Free" software; there is a big difference.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Open Source (with capitals to denote a proper name) does. http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

open source (in a sense other than the one of the OSI) can mean anything.
silene

Post by silene »

Ayin wrote:open source (in a sense other than the one of the OSI) can mean anything.
Right, even Windows is open source according to Microsoft and its government program...
Ayin wrote:Open Source (with capitals to denote a proper name) does. http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
It is this one I was refering to. In particular, see item 4. Whether or not you consider it a big difference is up to you. But it is nonetheless a hindrance when an Open Source license allows you to redistribute a modified source code only as a patchset and under a different name (extreme case, but still possible).
UncleZeiv

Post by UncleZeiv »

Porcupine wrote:Well, I just wanted to let you programmers know how much I am enjoying Battle for Wesnoth. I would say it is the best freeware game I ever played. Probobally one of the best I have ever played, freeware or otherwise. Keep up the good work!
I was going to post exactely the same statement! :D Good job!

_dave_
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

Thanks for letting me know that. Ok, I browsed though some of those pages and lets see if I get this right. The main difference between "freeware" and "free software" is that in freeware you can give it to anyone but can't sell it. "Free Software" you can do anything you want with it except to ban other poeple from doing what they want. Did I get that right?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Porcupine wrote:Thanks for letting me know that. Ok, I browsed though some of those pages and lets see if I get this right. The main difference between "freeware" and "free software" is that in freeware you can give it to anyone but can't sell it. "Free Software" you can do anything you want with it except to ban other poeple from doing what they want. Did I get that right?
That's one of the big differences. Another big thing about Free software is that you get access to the source code. Freeware is usually binary-only, with no source code, meaning you can't learn from it, change things in it, port it to new platforms, etc.

Often people who can't program think that since they don't understand source code, there is little difference between Free Software and freeware to them. However this isn't really so, because even if they can't use the source code directly, other people can, and they will benefit from what others do with the source code.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:That's one of the big differences. Another big thing about Free software is that you get access to the source code. Freeware is usually binary-only, with no source code, meaning you can't learn from it, change things in it, port it to new platforms, etc.
"Having access to source code" is actually a part of the "do anything you want" thing; as hiding the source technically prevents users to fix / modify / port the software as they wish.
Porcupine

Post by Porcupine »

I see. Thanks! :)
Iron

Post by Iron »

Porcupine wrote:Hello everyone!

Absolutely. About 2 weeks ago I stumbled on Wesnoth quite by chance, and decided to check it out. It far exceeded my expectations (which were quite low as most open source games aren't that great to be honest) and I'm now seriously hooked on it. :)
Cironir

Post by Cironir »

It's the AI that makes it this great. :) I've never played a TBS that featured AI of this kind. I think Dave and his team did an awesome job. With state-of-the-art graphics and the usual stuff (videos, spoken text, etc.), the game could easily become a commercial classic. It's really unfortunate that most players today look at the eye-candy first and then at the actual content. Take the latest LotR title (Battle for Middle Earth) for example ... looks awesome, comes with fantastic sound, but the game itself is incredibly bad. The AI is poor, the missions are flat ... and yet it'll sell well, just because of the theme and the eye-candy. No wonder that we're stuck with "flat" commercial strategy games in the Windows market. Someone should hire Dave for his ability to code capable AI. :) It's beyond me that nobody hasn't done that yet.