Campaign ideas?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rowanthepreacher

Campaign ideas?

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Where do I put a request for help with campaign ideas. I looked in "ideas" and "campaign development" but neither of those appear to have any rough campaign ideas that are looking for other help or fleshing out.

So...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign ideas?

Post by Sapient »

If you just need help with the writing, the Writer's forum.
If you just need help with the WML, the WML workshop.
Otherwise, if the help needed is of a more general nature, then try Scenario and Campaign development.
Really I think the names of the forums are pretty self-explanatory, aren't they?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Are you asking for ideas for campaigns or are you trying to find out if people are looking for ideas for campaigns?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Velensk wrote:Are you asking for ideas for campaigns or are you trying to find out if people are looking for ideas for campaigns?
If the former, I can give him more ideas than he'll ever be able to use. :)
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Rowanthepreacher

Cheers Sapient. If I hadn't already mentioned that I had failed to find anything in those places, that would've been really helpful.

Never mind. Though I can't see anything similar in Scenario and Campaign Development, i'll just shove it there.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Keep in mind that if your "Campaign Brainstorming" thread blossoms into a fully-fledged campaign development thread, the title and first post can always be changed to suit the new purpose. After coming up with a name for the campaign, of course.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

If you just want some practice coding, and don't really have a story figured out yet, there's a "campaign" called Fire-Forged Friends that has need of a coder.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Rowanthepreacher

Alas, I have no coding knowledge. That's something I'd like to learn, but I'm terrible at keeping myself motivated, so I figured that creating the kind of campaign I want, with the help of an interested coder, would be the best way to pick up the rudiments of WML or Python or Lua or whatever other mishmash you're using :D

Sangel, I suppose. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get moved and earn me the ire of someone of vague importance.

P.S. Mountain_king, I'm pretty sure that Irish is dead, just like Cornish and Scottish. Anyone that can speak Irish can probably speak English better, or they're certainly too old to correctly operate a computer without guidance.

P.P.S. There goes the "no ire" policy...
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

It might be a minority language, but it most certainly is not a dead language. :annoyed: Cornish is, and Scottish Gaelic almost is, but Irish is not. There are millions of people in the world with at the very least a "cupla focal" in Irish, being mostly either Irish by birth or among the diaspora. FYI, it's also one of the official languages of Ireland, meaning official things are produced in both tongues. And is there anything wrong with being able to speak English better? If that was a defining criteria for translations, then there wouldn't be one for Latin, Old English (i.e, Anglo-Saxon), or even Klingon (Or what about Shavian while we're criticizing translation usefulness?). Irish is an appealing and beautiful language to many people, including myself, so don't knock it. :annoyed: Now if I can just get me temper under control... :whistle: ah yes. :mrgreen:
That is the campaign I was thinking of. Poor guy's got a very well-developed story but no-one to code anything more than the first scenario.
You know, WML isn't actually that hard to learn. I know, because I actually learned it. :P Using existing code from campaigns, examining the wiki, and making good use of the WML workshop should have you coding with the best of them in no time at all.

Go mbeannaí Dia duit!
Rí_na_Sléibhe
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Rowanthepreacher

Well, that's me told :D

Although, I would argue that the Latin, Old English, Klingon and Shaw translations really are devoid of usefulness. Now, where did I leave my wookie dictionary...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:Although, I would argue that the Latin, Old English, Klingon and Shaw translations really are devoid of usefulness.
Atmosphere. Maybe people want to play a fantasy game in Latin or Old English for the atmosphere of the game. It is, after all a game and the purpose of games is to provide fun, not to be useful.

Besides, if we're going by official languages, Latin is still living.
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Now, where did I leave my wookie dictionary...
Roooarrgh ur roo.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rowanthepreacher

Most people can't read latin, and even those who can probably can't do so fluently :D

Anyway, thanks for the wookie dictionary.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Rowanthepreacher wrote:Although, I would argue that the Latin, Old English, Klingon and Shaw translations really are devoid of usefulness.
Atmosphere. Maybe people want to play a fantasy game in Latin or Old English for the atmosphere of the game. It is, after all a game and the purpose of games is to provide fun, not to be useful.
QFT. I love Old English especially for its beauty.
Thug_Lord

Post by Thug_Lord »

Mountain_King wrote:It might be a minority language, but it most certainly is not a dead language. :annoyed: Cornish is, and Scottish Gaelic almost is, but Irish is not. There are millions of people in the world with at the very least a "cupla focal" in Irish, being mostly either Irish by birth or among the diaspora. FYI, it's also one of the official languages of Ireland, meaning official things are produced in both tongues. And is there anything wrong with being able to speak English better? If that was a defining criteria for translations, then there wouldn't be one for Latin, Old English (i.e, Anglo-Saxon), or even Klingon (Or what about Shavian while we're criticizing translation usefulness?). Irish is an appealing and beautiful language to many people, including myself, so don't knock it. :annoyed: Now if I can just get me temper under control... :whistle: ah yes. :mrgreen:
That is the campaign I was thinking of. Poor guy's got a very well-developed story but no-one to code anything more than the first scenario.
You know, WML isn't actually that hard to learn. I know, because I actually learned it. :P Using existing code from campaigns, examining the wiki, and making good use of the WML workshop should have you coding with the best of them in no time at all.

Go mbeannaí Dia duit!
Rí_na_Sléibhe
Strangely enough, I'm reading a book about Iceland that I randomly picked up in the library. anyways, can we convert this into a full fledged coding topic? I'm good at coding, and could probably offer some support. (I learned it from editing wiki's for years.)
All is fair in love and war. Go capitalism! Go Jesus! Go Dragon Ball Z! Did I leave anything out?