Where are the real games?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ErSidward

Where are the real games?

Post by ErSidward »

I've only been playing online for a couple of weeks now, and most online games seem to be creep wars / gladiator-colosseum-whatever / royal rumble and other very RPG-ish maps. While they're fun, I'm really looking for "proper" games, but hardly ever find any (I've only played a few and only finished one, which I lost quite miserably).

How would I find these "proper" games? Are they usually arranged, or should I be looking during certain times of the day?

Oh and hi I'm new here, bear with me ^^
Atz
Art Contributor

Re: Where are the real games?

Post by Atz »

There are generally a few normal games when I am on, mostly Isar's Cross. Sometimes they are arranged, but there should be open games around, too. Also, remember that you can create your own game. If there are no normal ones open, just make your own and wait for someone to join. Pick a 1v1 map or Isar's Cross and you probably won't have to wait too long.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Atz wrote:There are generally a few normal games when I am on, mostly Isar's Cross. Sometimes they are arranged, but there should be open games around, too. Also, remember that you can create your own game. If there are no normal ones open, just make your own and wait for someone to join. Pick a 1v1 map or Isar's Cross and you probably won't have to wait too long.
I'm usually up for a game of Clash, Loris River, or King of the Hill when I'm on. People do seem to disproportionately play Isar's Cross though.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Finding/filling a nin-Isar's game can be a pain, seriously. I haven't played in a while, in part due to exactly that. I'm fed up with Isar's... :/
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Good luck. You can join the unofficial Wesnoth ladder, which is a community of people who play 1v1 games, but it may be slightly more serious play than you're looking for. For casual 1v1, you can generally get a game if you create one and wait a little while. You can also try asking in the lobby if anyone wants to play a game of vanilla Wesnoth.

If you're looking for 2v2 or bigger games, those, as said, tend to take longer to fill up. I used to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour for a 2v2 game. I can't imagine things have changed since then, although results will vary by time of day.

And welcome to the forum :)
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

But yeah, the best way is to simply arrange a game. On occasion, you can ask around on the Wesnoth IRC channel (where the more civilized Wesnoth players lurk) for people to play with.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
DDR

Post by DDR »

Hm, been a while since I played Wesnoth. I'm surprised that Isar's Cross is still rampantly popular. :shock:
Rya

Post by Rya »

Hm, been a while since I played Wesnoth. I'm surprised that Isar's Cross is still rampantly popular. :shock:
Once a map is popular, even more people hear about it and thus it gets even more popular. It's always like this in strategy games. It ends up with 3 maps that are played to 90% of the time, 1 vanilla map and 2 custom mods usually.

Also I can kind of understand why normal Wesnoth games are not that popular. They are very slow paced, compared to RPG-types, where everyone only moves 1-3 units and thus it's much faster paced. I don't have any fun with playing normal maps honestly, watching them with 2x speed (and without thinking time) is fun, though. That's why you will usually only find me as an observer.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to answer the initial question - a good permanent filter is "default". This will only make maps show up with the default era at least. Out of those you can find games with official gameplay fairly easy.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

I found the same problem but you can make your own and people will join within seconds.