server hugging - new fashion or what?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StDrake

server hugging - new fashion or what?

Post by StDrake »

For some time when I visited the mp servers I would witness a most bizarre thing. People would just start a game, solo, not even do the first turn and go away..leaving the game up. Some are even so 'smart' that they set up a password protected game with no observers and leave it like that. So far the record breaker was noted to sit there on the top of mp games list for several days - day after day being the same thing - game didn't even leave the lobby stage, password protected, no observers allowed, nobody in it except the maker. Now it seems he finally got booted, but already I see a different name doing the same dumb thing - turn 1 forever, and of course nobody allowed in.
I'm :shock: , what is this? Some new fashion the kind of "wee first post" but being a "wee first game, and it's gonna be first forever"? I doubt one creep like that is of any relevance to the lobby server performance, but it's still mighty weird.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
TheDreamer

Re: server hugging - new fashion or what?

Post by TheDreamer »

Take it as a chance to study the many faces (or feces) of human mind. :P
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

What version is this? 1.9 has issues with corrupted games getting stuck IIUC.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

1.8.5 *checks* yep, the guy is still there, still turn 1
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Hmm, hope you"e not talking about me… last year I did quite a few all AIs test runs of a 6p map I made to see if it was balanced.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

• An all-AI game should not stay forever on turn 1, so I don't think this is the problem.
  • If you don't want anyone to join (or even observe), why do you do it on the public server? You can do your balancing checks as well as a local game (and it will be even quicker then, since no network traffic involved).
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

as far as I remember those were always cases of non-bold names, so nobody from the forum, no :)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Maybe it's like when you go to the fridge in the middle of the night, but you forgot what you wanted?

I agree that allowing observers makes more sense. You may eventually find someone who is also interested in it, wished to participate, or discuss it. If not, there's no point to advertising it on the lobby if no one else can participate on any level.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
em3

Post by em3 »

Maybe there could be some automatic timeout? Like, 12 hours of complete idleness (no network traffic, no changes) would cause the game to be killed?
ride on shooting star