What do you if your teammate is a newb?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

5dPZ

Re: What do you if your teammate is a newb?

Post by 5dPZ »

The thing about continuing and "do-your-best" is that your opponents are good players, and they will just kill off your newb ally and do all sort of tricks on you. You know what they are doing but are helpless as they outnumber you in terms of leveled units and income.

Basically you can fight on for many turns knowing you have no way to win, which for me, is not a very pleasant experience and a form of wasting time since it is very predictable what will happen.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

But when you do beat the crap out of them, it's the second best feeling there is on earth.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

PeterPorty wrote:But when you do beat the crap out of them, it's the second best feeling there is on earth.
What if you know that is impossible? By means of "good opponents", I mean, they ARE good, not the kind that you play well you can 1 vs 2.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Generally I'd do the same as Huumy. The only difference is that I'd point out the first mistake(big mistake, I can usually tell from people's play what sort of mistake's they will understand and the ones they won't are pretty small unless the others are sorted out.) they make. I'd try to do it as nicely as possible and explain why another move is better. Depending on their response I may continue doing it. I think teaching your partner during the game can work well if he's receptive if not then just do your best.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

5dPZ wrote:
PeterPorty wrote:But when you do beat the crap out of them, it's the second best feeling there is on earth.
What if you know that is impossible? By means of "good opponents", I mean, they ARE good, not the kind that you play well you can 1 vs 2.
Nothing is impossible. If you think it is COMPLETELY impossible to beat 2 good players, then you need more practice... It's true that it may be VERY hard, but it is indeed possible.

EDIT: Also, if you consider yourself a really good player, and you only play against good players, I suggest you name your match something like "Really good player only". Then, you won't have to worry about a newb.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

5dPZ wrote:The thing about continuing and "do-your-best" is that your opponents are good players, and they will just kill off your newb ally and do all sort of tricks on you. You know what they are doing but are helpless as they outnumber you in terms of leveled units and income.

Basically you can fight on for many turns knowing you have no way to win, which for me, is not a very pleasant experience and a form of wasting time since it is very predictable what will happen.
Agreed... while I do like to try and beat the odds, at a certain point it becomes obvious beyond any doubt that you are completely neutralized and continuing the game would just be a mere formality, there is always "gg. rematch?" I liked what Yogi said about that. Good suggestions there.

Although with surrender you risk having the reputation as a quitter, it's far better than some of the other alternatives mentioned. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

PeterPorty wrote:Nothing is impossible. If you think it is COMPLETELY impossible to beat 2 good players, then you need more practice... It's true that it may be VERY hard, but it is indeed possible.

EDIT: Also, if you consider yourself a really good player, and you only play against good players, I suggest you name your match something like "Really good player only". Then, you won't have to worry about a newb.
Well, believe it or not, it is COMPLETELY impossible to beat 2 good players. RNG can help, but when your opponents are as good as you but with twice or more resources than you have, your defeat is just matter of time.

You can do your best to survive longer, but as I said, it is not a pleasant experience.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

One of

1) Play a gambit/suicide rush and hope one opponent is also a newb
2) Determined assult/defence. I probably won't take many of his villages because he might be able to rally and if he does he probably won't make the same mistake twice.
3) gg & leave
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
cookie

Post by cookie »

PeterPorty wrote: Nothing is impossible. If you think it is COMPLETELY impossible to beat 2 good players, then you need more practice... It's true that it may be VERY hard, but it is indeed possible.
HIS GOOD ENOUGH! Don't need him to get any better. His already a ace opponent as it is.

5dPZ: Remember the sandwich technique? Unique. Very, very... :)
5dPZ wrote: Well, believe it or not, it is COMPLETELY impossible to beat 2 good players. RNG can help, but when your opponents are as good as you but with twice or more resources than you have, your defeat is just matter of time.
But takes a hell of a long time. Nice challenge also.
5dPZ wrote: You can do your best to survive longer, but as I said, it is not a pleasant experience.
I agree. Experienced it a lot. Reason why I prefer to know my teammates in a game and most of the time join arranged games. 5dPZ, you can always team up with Ukraneean. :lol2:

And we do what we always do.
- Team chat.
- Labels.
- Beg that they know English.
- Remake.
- Teach the beginner how to play and some friendly tips.
- Ask them if they know how to play beforehand. From today's experience. Heavy Infantry as a king is not a good sign.
- Complain and make faces.
- Say Good Game (GG) afterwards knowing it was completely a waste of time.
- Blame it on the beginner. Plus the good players know they aren't the best, so they would understand. If anything consider that if they don't target you. They most likely think you are the bigger threat.
- Allow the beginner to act like they are the best player although everyone in the room knows that player is making a fool of himself/herself.

I usually prefer 1. But then again depends on my own mood.
Bye says the cookie.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

- Allow the beginner to act like they are the best player although everyone in the room knows that player is making a fool of himself/herself.
D: So all those times you told me how you wished that one day you would pwn like me...you didn't really mean it? I don't even-

On topic though, when it's obvious that my team mate is a newb I try to help him, otherwise I just tell my opponents what a bunch of n00bs they are, trollface some, then leave shouting KEKEKE.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I beg to differ. Heavy Infantry or Wose is a good sign in some cases. Leader assassinations will be difficult against them.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
cookie

Post by cookie »

cookie wrote:From today's experience. Heavy Infantry as a king is not a good sign.
@joshudson. Not a good sign when forum members don't read properly. The 'From today's experience.' part shows it was from my experience that day.
Bye says the cookie.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Frequently I try to do the option 1)

But if that player does not understand me I use a 7) option: say to the host (if I'm not the host) I have lost because my ally was a noob and he didn't want to learn or read my suggerences and reclaim for an instant remake without that player.

If I'm the host I try the 6) convice that player to leave (like "you are doing this wrong" "you are making me lossing" "WTF why done that") and if that happens then try to move the both sides to try to compense the noob's error if no simply I don't continue and then playing still the game lose (I won games with noobies in my side, so it's not imposible)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide