Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blackberry

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by Blackberry »

Hi! I've been playing Wesnoth since - hmmm... 2012, 2013? I registered here because I wanted to play Wesnoth 1.14 and also because I think the game is really cool because of the units and mechanics - although the RNG screws me over sometimes. If there's anyone else here who's been screwed over by RNG (and if you play this game, you have been), I just want to let you know that 100% of the community has been too.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Welcome :)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hello, i am Zap-Zarap and i started playing Wesnoth around 2006 with Version 0.9.0, though in that times there was already a newer version available, but not on Debian main distro, which was, what i was using then.
I always thought it was a shame, that the cost of the Undead's bat got risen to 13 gold from 0.9.0 to 1.x.x, because i'd liked them being a cheap kamikaze unit. They should be 11 gold again.
Also the human/elven level1 Mage's coat should be blue again, looked nicer.
ZZ
I like beavers.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Zap-Zarap wrote: May 13th, 2019, 1:16 am Hello, i am Zap-Zarap and i started playing Wesnoth around 2006 with Version 0.9.0, though in that times there was already a newer version available, but not on Debian main distro, which was, what i was using then.
I always thought it was a shame, that the cost of the Undead's bat got risen to 13 gold from 0.9.0 to 1.x.x, because i'd liked them being a cheap kamikaze unit. They should be 11 gold again.
Also the human/elven level1 Mage's coat should be blue again, looked nicer.
ZZ

Hi Zap-Zarap! Thanks for introducing yourself!

Oh, ^_^ the good old 11g bat <sigh> :mrgreen:
Skyline4ward

Post by Skyline4ward »

Hello new guy here. I got this game for a college class in game design. I like the systems implemented here. I also find it really hard. looking for advice on how to set up things so battles run smoother. I haven't been able to beat the tutorial. first time I split my party too much second time I ran out of moves I guess. I am not sure. still learning the game been playing it for about 3 hours. Hope to learn how to play multiplayer.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Skyline4ward wrote: June 7th, 2019, 3:37 am Hello new guy here. I got this game for a college class in game design. I like the systems implemented here. I also find it really hard. looking for advice on how to set up things so battles run smoother. I haven't been able to beat the tutorial. first time I split my party too much second time I ran out of moves I guess. I am not sure. still learning the game been playing it for about 3 hours. Hope to learn how to play multiplayer.
You might want to look for some replays to watch or post your replay somewhere and ask for advice (otherwise we won't know what exactly went wrong). In general, attack in a way that lowers the damage you can receive in the counterattack and try to force the enemy in a hex with a bad defense if they want to attack you.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Skyline4ward wrote: June 7th, 2019, 3:37 am second time I ran out of moves I guess. I am not sure.
Usually there is a limit on the number of turns. For the tutorial, this limit is 26 turns. This is indicated by the "1/26" in the screenshot below.
turn-number.png
Soufwar

Post by Soufwar »

Hi, I am Soufwar or Ian if you want to call me by my real name. I have been put on Battle For Wesnoth as an assignment by my Systems Design professor, I have grown to like the game quite a bit.
I am a game designer and a huge fan of video games in general. If you consider games to be an art form we're already friends. I believe someone's taste in video games shows a lot about their personality, I like bloodborne, Hotline Miami, Journey, Shadow Of The Colossus and Ico among hundreds of other games, I have joined the forums to hopefully practice some game design and hopefully get better at it to be able to improve this game, I want to do level design (or map design in this case), mission and narrative design (or scenario design here) and just make this amazing game better.
My hopes are to meet some like-minded people and make friends in this community of gamers and developers :)
Nice meeting all of you, here's to Wesnoth!
Skyline4ward wrote: June 7th, 2019, 3:37 am Hello new guy here. I got this game for a college class in game design. I like the systems implemented here. I also find it really hard. looking for advice on how to set up things so battles run smoother. I haven't been able to beat the tutorial. first time I split my party too much second time I ran out of moves I guess. I am not sure. still learning the game been playing it for about 3 hours. Hope to learn how to play multiplayer.
Hi Skyline4ward, the tutorial is actually one of the most confusing tutorials I've ever seen, I think I beat it with 22 moves so I was cutting it close. What I did was send all my units to the bridge in the beginning and 3 units to the right shore village. This was I could counter the enemy effectively, I recommend you use 2 archers, 2 warriors, and a shaman since its a good combo in the beginning, then go for full archers later on and never recruit anything else. I hope the tutorial doesn't ruin your experience though, keep at it and you'll do just fine :)
Last edited by Konrad2 on June 9th, 2019, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged doublepost
Luc7y

Hello I am new here

Post by Luc7y »

Hello, I am Andrew like @Luc7y named and work since wonderful downloads for wesnoth add-ons done
to drive the add-ons about from 1.10 to 1.12.
Thank your all developers for the done workings, the defined comments and more, because I learned fast the way
to implements own ideas.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Hello I'm lhybrideur.
I started playing Wesnoth 4-5 years ago because my now-partner play it. I'm pretty bad at strategy game in general (never finished Impossible Creatures, etc.) but I really like the scenario-oriented tone of Wesnoth.
I registered to the forum because I'm currently writing a campaign.
gaojicainiao

Post by gaojicainiao »

大家好!我是来自中国的“逆天的高级菜鸟”!
Hello everyone! My nickname is "gaojicainiao"("advanced rookie" in Chinese), I am from China.

看起来《韦诺之战》的中国玩家不多,做翻译工作的志愿者就更少了。
It seems that wesnoth has not many Chinese players, so volunteers working on Chinese translation are few.

如果需要帮忙翻译中文的话,找我就好了。
If something need to be translated into Chinese, just ask me for help.

至于玩游戏,要是你想跟我玩1V1,你很可能玩得痛快。如果你想玩2V2或者更多玩家的游戏,别找我当队友,否则你就玩不开心了。
As for playing, if you want to play 1V1 with me, probably you will earn entertainment. If you want to play 2V2 or games with more players, then don't invite me to be your teammate, or you may will be sad or angry.
Last edited by gaojicainiao on September 14th, 2019, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Hello,
I a m hermes and I m the developer of The Dark Master campaign (Argan and Elynia)
Kjan

Post by Kjan »

Hello,Eeveryone my name's Kjan and i play Battle for wesnoth and i never took time to post anything on that forum.I started back 2015 and i'm back and the game's still as good.
That's all
David White thank you and all the others devellopers !
Have everyone a nice day.
Colin_Davis_sux

Post by Colin_Davis_sux »

Hey
You can probably guess my name from my username. A friend introduced me to this game and I've been quite enjoying it, though I lack experience with strategy games. Sadly, I'm terrible at it, but that's fine.
eyeofpara

Post by eyeofpara »

Hello. I am a 31 years old Wesnoth player from Europe, i am a man.
I like almost all games, who has either big maps, or maps suitable to my strategy, when i play.
Recently i was not very successfull at playing Wesnoth, i do not know why, but i want to, because it is the only strategy game on linux, which i tihink, i can learn to play and to win.
I tried Freeciv. Can not win against computer...
Tried Freeorion. Better. But still very strong AI and very strong 'monsters' in its galaxies... but Freeorion i like, because of large cosmic map and technology tree and so on...
Wesnoth i like because it reminds me 'total annihilation kingdoms', the main diffrence is that Wesnoth is turn-based, while 'total annihilation kingdoms' is real time.
I want to experience as much as in TAK, but in turn based mode, so i choose wesnoth now.
Maybe it is a good idea to create a thread about it, because this is aspect of the game: maps, large, various surface (like in TAK), while various units levels up in battles... just only turn - based.
So, here i am, i will try to play online a little now, will write somewhere in this forum how it is now for me.