Whatever happened to 1 vs. 1 ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Whatever happened to 1 vs. 1 ?

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have been playing Wesnoth off and on for quite a while, and after taking some time off, I've noticed something different in the past few months.

In Multiplayer, games of 1 vs. 1 seem to be very rare. There are often upwards of two dozen games going on, and often only one or two of those is a one on one match.

I have been playing and watching multiplayer since ...2005, I believe... and I have seen many different modifications come and go. Some of these are very fun to play and watch, but it seems recently they have totally monopolized the multiplayer server. If there is a game that is player versus player, it is almost always Isar's Cross.

Why has 1 vs. 1, which is (in my mind, at least) the default multiplayer experience, so rarely played anymore?

My own personal guess is that it is too likely to turn into a situation where someone's ego can get damaged, and puts too much stress on people because of that. But I don't know for certain.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Whatever happened to 1 vs. 1 ?

Post by Doc Paterson »

It would be interesting to see the actual numbers, but it seems to me that there are more 1v1s than there used to be, what with the ladder and all. Maybe I'm wrong, but at the very least, I'd think the ratio has to be pretty similar to what it has been in the past.

Another possibility would be that the various survivals and other "non-standard" games, being ever on the increase, have won the attention of players who might otherwise play 1v1s.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Doc Paterson wrote:It would be interesting to see the actual numbers, but it seems to me that there are more 1v1s than there used to be, what with the ladder and all. .
It would be interesting to see the numbers. I don't actually know that this is true, it just seems to be the case.
I also don't really see that many Ladder games. I mean, I do see them, but its not like they seem to be super-popular.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I don't really use the MP server, but maybe it's different depending on time of day? You two live in very different time zones, seemingly.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I do notice a decrease in 1v1 and 2v2 games during the times I'm on the server (evening hours, GMT-5 or so.) I've posted counts once or twice, but what I see is a ton of survival variations, conquest variations, and a few RPGs. Even Isar's Cross has been dropping in relative frequency.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

I feel like there are a bit less ladder-like 1v1-games, but more on bigger maps with only two players on it. Also 3p-maps seem to be used more.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

pauxlo wrote:I don't really use the MP server, but maybe it's different depending on time of day? You two live in very different time zones, seemingly.
I wouldn't doubt that this is at least somewhat the case, since different modifications might be more popular in different countries. Also, people might play different types of games depending on the time...or the day of the week. There is really not time for a quick game of World Conquest during the middle of the day for most people!
silent

Post by silent »

Try being GMT + 11

It's a pain in the backside to get home and be lucky to find even ONE 1 vs 1 game going during your evening :augh:

It's an even bigger pain to find that the rare 1 vs 1 is not a ladder game :annoyed:

Still, hopefully some time will free up, maybe.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

As for me I prefer 2v2 or 3T games.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

joshudson wrote:As for me I prefer ... 3T games.
And they never heard from joshudson again. :lol2:
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Well, I only play 1 vs 1 on local games, since when I play on the MP server, they kick my butt severely. Also, when people have played Wesnoth for 5+ years, like many of the people on the MP server, they (Some) get bored of the typical game, and start playing really well modded Wesnoth, which resulted a while ago in a huge increase of A New Land games... I guess this is the same. 4+ player games can get pretty interesting, since if someone is steamrolling, you can make alliances, blah, blah... (on FFA)
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Aelaris

Post by Aelaris »

PeterPorty wrote:Well, I only play 1 vs 1 on local games, since when I play on the MP server, they kick my butt severely. Also, when people have played Wesnoth for 5+ years, like many of the people on the MP server, they (Some) get bored of the typical game, and start playing really well modded Wesnoth, which resulted a while ago in a huge increase of A New Land games... I guess this is the same. 4+ player games can get pretty interesting, since if someone is steamrolling, you can make alliances, blah, blah... (on FFA)
Basically the same as Peter, save that instead of local games, since I moved most of my games are between me and people I keep on contact with over the internet. (Plus with a lousy connection, it's really embarrassing when you disconnect without being able to explain later to the person.)

If you're curious about my play quality, I post up annotated replays to my games online. Mostly for myself, but also for the people I play and anyone else who is interested: http://wesnothannotatedreplay.blogspot.com/

In summary, it's awkward to lose to better players on the main server, and more awkward when your connection dies in the process of losing.

(I never play multiplayer with friends, as it's hard to get people on at the same time, and we are chatty and diplomatic enough that the balance of power never changes.)
"Let's all agree that Konrad simply represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'." - Gambit, explaining how a character could also be a battalion.