Wheel of Time (Don't hate me)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Demosthenes

Wheel of Time (Don't hate me)

Post by Demosthenes »

I can't imagine this hasn't been discussed before, but I searched around a bit and couldn't find a topic on it. I've been playing Wesnoth for quite some time and its struck my that someone could make a Wheel of Time (love it or hate it fantasy book series for those of you who don't know) campaign for it pretty easily. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, looking through the add ons, I didn't see any campaigns for it.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wheel of Time (Don't hate me)

Post by Sangel »

While it's not an inherently bad idea, the Wesnoth Project discourages making add-ons based upon copyrighted works. There's a risk that Wesnoth could end up being sued for copyright infringement, and, being an open-source project, there's not a whole lot of money available to pay legal fees. This most commonly comes up with Lord of the Rings - the Tolkien Estate is known to be quite litigious.

If you do want to go ahead with a Wheel of Time based campaign, then you'll have to do so independently of the main Wesnoth Project; no development threads on the forum, no hosting the add-on itself on the standard add-on server. We don't want to discourage creativity; we just can't afford copyright entanglements.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Ok thanks a lot
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Herduk

Post by Herduk »

It's also true that Wheel of Time follow the classical scheme that many fantasy sagas follow: there is someone that it's not so important and he becomes an hero/superevil that save/destroy the world.
I say Shea Ohmsford? Frodo Baggins? :roll:
Don't bother a dwarf.. you can argue with his hammer!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That is a simplisitc (to the point of being pointless) comment and also irrelevant to the thread.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

At this point there's nothing good that can come out of this thread. Might as well Lock it.