Best Cooperative Games?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

neurogenesis

Best Cooperative Games?

Post by neurogenesis »

Hey Wesnoth,

I play occasionally with friends using voice-chat and it's a blast. We are always trying new scenarios for cooperative multiplayer potential and have had limited success. I wanted to tell you all what we've tried and then ask for suggestions on what you have found entertaining!

We like:
1) Regular games against comps/humans. Comps move fast but are exploitable. Humans move slow but are challenging... You know.
2) A New Land (the one that comes with 1.8.3).
3) Dark Forecast (although I kind of hate it after a few games).

Could you all suggest some other games that we should try to avoid the endless downloading, trying, and then discarding of add-ons that we have been undertaking? My only request is that the levels be well-balanced between human players because co-op SUCKS when one player automatically is dominant.

Best,

Neuro
Dixie

Re: Best Cooperative Games?

Post by Dixie »

Well, if you are willing to familiarise yourself with the promotion trees and can find opponents (because AI would be a pretty, pretty poor match), you go take a look at Paintball Era (see my sig). If you don't like the few maps I've given with the era but like the functionnality of the mod, no problem, because everybody and their mother should be able to design maps for it. :Awesome:
[/shameless self-promotion]
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Halo 2!

Hmm, are you only looking for actual "army" ones? If not, try some of Bob_The_Mighty's RPGs, they're really good.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
norbert

Post by norbert »

neurogenesis wrote:Could you all suggest some other games that we should try to avoid the endless downloading, trying, and then discarding of add-ons that we have been undertaking?
I'm working on a website where Wesnoth users can vote on scenarios and campaigns. It has a search function that should be able to provide you with a list of maps people enjoyed.

A New Land and Dark Forecast, the maps you mentioned, currently both have a 2.5/3 enjoyment score. The Labyrinth Of Champions, which is one of Bob_The_Mighty's RPGs (mentioned by Hulavuta), has a 2.7/3 enjoyment score.

These maps only got about 3-4 votes though; if more Wesnoth users voted, the scores would be more accurate. If you try out scenarios or campaigns, it would be useful if you (and others) voted on them. To give you an example, I didn't know about the Ooze Mini Campaign until I noticed that users started voting on it and three users favored it. I tried it out and it was fun.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

i recommend SX RPG ADDON.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Mabuse wrote:i recommend SX RPG ADDON.
"Author: Mabuse" :wink:
By the way, maybe change its type to "map_pack".
SX* maps are kind of enjoyable; sometimes the AI becomes a bit slow.
Araja

Post by Araja »

I was going to recommend that, but his mention of ANL and Dark Forecast led me to believe he was going for a more traditional strategy co-op.
neurogenesis

Post by neurogenesis »

I am looking for anything that a couple of friends can have some fun with. We would like to be on the same team and the more puzzle-like aspects of games like ANL appeal to me (versus competitive face-offs with other players).

Literally any suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks.
neurogenesis

Post by neurogenesis »

"I'm working on a website where Wesnoth users can vote on scenarios and campaigns. It has a search function that should be able to provide you with a list of maps people enjoyed."
This is fantastic! Thanks Norbert.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Mythological and I made a 4pl co-op survival called Temples of the Nagas that you might enjoy. There is a link in my sig for more info.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
boru

Post by boru »

Try Northerners RPG from Sapient's MP Mappack. It's best with 4 human players, but you and your friend can each play two sides.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
tyler

Post by tyler »

I can always happily suggest World Conquest. Since the map is randomly generated on each start-up you get some replay value.

Don't expect too much story though.

I'm also interested in VoIP. Here is my post: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31267
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Hulavuta wrote:Halo 2!

Hmm, are you only looking for actual "army" ones? If not, try some of Bob_The_Mighty's RPGs, they're really good.
I was specifically going to recommend "Brotherhood of Light."
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

I recomend u to play bob's rpgs like brotherhood of light an labyrinth of champion.However they might be long so its good that u wont play with peoples who u never saw,cos he can leave.

Clasick co op. game is orocia(dov mp maps),but u can start with random orocia mod which can be played by 3-4 or 6 players.Another good dov mp map is deep shrine(3 players).A new land is nice but u can try the addon not the one with the starting map cos the addon is more fun and A new land he Great wall is my favourite(its beter than the other a new land for me).

Jb was right about temples of nagas and its realy cute.After u test all this maps pm me for more:P:P:P
NightShadow

Post by NightShadow »

Try orocia for a good co-op game. Its three player up to six and upgrade mechanic is interesting. :eng: