Fencers: Does ANY mainline campaign let you use them?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RaustBD

Fencers: Does ANY mainline campaign let you use them?

Post by RaustBD »

Fencers are my favorite units, but it doesn't look like they're usable in any of the loyalist campaigns I've played. Can somebody direct me to a mainline campaign that lets you recruit fencers?
monochromatic

Re: Fencers: Does ANY mainline campaign let you use them?

Post by monochromatic »

No. The only loyalists campaigns being TSG, EI, and TRoW, there aren't any fencers in them.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

do you know of any non-mainline campaigns with fencers?
Edwarfin

Post by Edwarfin »

In "Elvish Dynasty", there's a random event that allows you to hire some.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Fencers appear in Heir to the Throne. Li'sar recruits them in a scenario or two.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Skirmishers can be problematic in campaigns where the AI doesn't always protect its leader.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Off-topic but:
Ken_Oh wrote:Skirmishers can be problematic in campaigns where the AI doesn't always protect its leader.
God, do I hate it when mission objectives say to protect an allied AI leader, and then the AI just throws it in the middle of the ennemy's ranks to finish up a goblin or something :annoyed: AI can be so silly sometimes.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Dixie wrote:God, do I hate it when mission objectives say to protect an allied AI leader, and then the AI just throws it in the middle of the ennemy's ranks to finish up a goblin or something :annoyed: AI can be so silly sometimes.
It is any campaign author's job to pay especially attention to this. Usually the single passive_leader key is enough but lots of scenarios/campaigns lack it.

@topic, in Story of the Wose there's at least one fencer, and I think I recall very faintly that they were even recruitable.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Fencers are recruitable in Story of the Wose.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
IPS

Post by IPS »

I dont like much the fencers, Calvary is much better.

Fencers are a very unstable unit. Calvary is much more stable and if it's in good hand, it can be a headdache for your oppoents. Overall if them are undead, notheners or Knalgans.

But, it's really curiusly what you can't see fencer in the campaigns (In the tale of two brothers you don't see them). I have only played the campaigns The Tale of two brothers and Liberty, Liberty was really nice.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Cavalry have 40% def in villages, so they can be pretty much annihilated by archers while village stealing. Fencers have low-hp. But together, they make a frighteningly effective village-steal which can cause chaos for your opponent.
IPS

Post by IPS »

In neutral time Trolls Whelps does to them 4-2 (that is awesome)

The calvary is a unit with much adventages and unadventages, the thing is how use it's adventage and it's unadventages.

For me, it's the best unit of all battle for wesnoth.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

I mainly like fencers because of their obscene avoid that they get from almost every terrain type in the game, be it mountains, villages, forests, forts, or even flats. They have great versatility and can fight pretty much anywhere unhindered. Plus, skirmisher is an awesome ability in terms of not only offense, but defense as well.

Also, HP is really over-rated in my opinion. It's much better to be able to reduce the overall amount of damage you take, because the more you rely on HP to survive, the longer it'll take you to heal. Units like the heavy infantry and fencers, who rely on their resistances and defense respectively to reduce damage they take, can heal to full health and get back on the front lines much more quickly.

Plus, the master-at-arms looks frankly awesome, especially on a black or red team.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I generally prefer high hp to high defense because there is less luck involved.

No matter what you do, that strong grunt will always have a 16% chance to kill your fencer at night while taking pretty much no damage. It can come out of nowhere and cripple your plan even if the rest of the time you are fine. When it comes to it, no matter how lucky that grunt it it won't be able to take down a cavalry in a single go, infact, no matter how lucky those two grunts get they won't be able to take down that resilient cavalry in a turn.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

That's why the Drake's main weakness isn't always a weakness
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra