Conquest Club

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

e7th04sh

Conquest Club

Post by e7th04sh »

I noticed there are some people who enjoy playing the conquest mod. I noticed there are some problems they (me incldued) generally encounter. And those problems are mainly immature players, most of whom never played Conquest and don't have the necessary willingness to learn, patience to play a long game or maturity to defend in seemingly hopeless situation. Not to mention some manners, self-consiousness or empathy.

So to all the cool kids that like playing conquest, i think we should try and find solution - how to be able to play at random time and with strangers, but make sure majority of games is played till the end. I have some ideas, but let's see if anyone is interested in discussion first.
Caphriel

Re: Conquest Club

Post by Caphriel »

I suggest putting "KNOW THE MAP" or "PROS ONLY" in your game names like all the other cool kids are doing :roll:

(This is just a comment on the list of games in the lobby, not on the above poster)
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Caphriel wrote:I suggest putting "KNOW THE MAP" or "PROS ONLY" in your game names like all the other cool kids are doing :roll:
Doesn't that usually have the opposite effects? :wink:
Araja

Post by Araja »

If I may disagree with the "maturity to defend a seemingly impossible situation" comment. This is what always got me about Conquest, the way everyone's attitude was "What, you don't want to spend 90 minutes backed into a corner while we do a countdown until we attack with armies triple your size and discuss who gets your villages? God you're such a noob".

Enduring a slow, painful, depressing, and meaningless death has no obvious link with maturity, and after observing matches for a few months I'm on the newbies side there. Personally I think you're right about everything else, but that particular part of the Conquest player's psyche always stopped me joining matches.
e7th04sh

Post by e7th04sh »

Araja, actually we're thinking of different situations. I thought of situations like spreading just one region too much in the beginning and then quitting when you realize it did not win you the game. This shows an immature psyche, because it's a strategy of domination which is very unlikely to succed, and rewards you with a feeling of power. Which means the person is not playing the game just for fun of the struggle and is generally unable to work their way to victory unless in very lucky circumstances and given very big power from the beginning.

Now about cornered people they too get on my nerves sometimes. For example the siege they are enduring is going to take another 8 turns, during which their agressor will surely be engaged by someone else. No player is foolish enough to just let others claim easy territories. I myself have managed to win games (not always in Conquest) from this cornered position due to luck or sometimes my own diplomatic ability. This is it - determination to wait for any opportunity that can let you win the game. Rather than quitting when it is seemigly (only seemingly) hopeless, and with that disturbing the diplomatic balance of the board.

Just please don't forget we were thought to find a measure against unwanted and untrusted players.