What's your record for number of attacks without a hit?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ardent

Re: What's your record for number of attacks without a hit?

Post by Ardent »

Why not wait for Lucifuge to try to support his claim with a replay?
It still is possible that he has it, and well I for one would be glad to see it.
On a side note this is an interesting thread in showing how improbable things might happen (if on takes the claim to be true ) :) Simply take account of all the players, all the games and all the turns and a 1:10^9 chance might happen just like that...
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

zookeeper wrote:As a rational, logical human being you ought to be able to see that no one was saying that the RNG is broken in any way.
My apologies, I realize I was out of place.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Long time ago, I had a unit dodge ~150 consecutive attacks.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I can't tell if you're serious or if you are trying to be sarcastic too.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Christheturtle

Post by Christheturtle »

I really think that this post has gone too far. I can't tell who is being serious, who is being sarcastic, and what the actual point of this thread even still existing (or on that matter being created in the first place) is.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

*sigh*

I can see how easy it is to come here and think "oh great! another RGN thread in disguise!", but I read the OP's post and it doesn't seem this was his intent. Now the same thing that happened with the "share your bad luck" thread seem to be happening to this one… I do believe we should lock this thread before it degenerates any further…
e7th04sh

Post by e7th04sh »

For a series of 19 attacks, of which 16 have 60% chance to miss and 3 a 30% chance, chance that none would reach the target is as low, as 0.000007617. That's 1 in approximetale 130 thousands.

Now, assume that every series of 19 consecutive attacks has about such a chance to perfectly miss. It's up to you to estimate the average number of attacks in every game, the number of games played by all players daily and make a rough estimate of how often this or equivalent unlucky event takes place.

As for me, i would like to bring up two different statistics.

There is 0% chance that OP makes any sense. He described 23 missing attacks, then told us they total to 21. Then categorized them by chance to hit, with the total of categorized attacks being 19. I suppose if he continued his post, next he would mention 17 attacks only, 15 would follow, i guess you catch my drift by now...

And there is 100% chance you all guys above acted like jerks.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

e7th04sh wrote:And there is 100% chance you all guys above acted like jerks.
I resent that remark. :|

I was mistaken about the OP's intent, for which I have apologized, but I do think that one of my points still stands regardless: if you're going to claim that such-and-such a unit avoid x number of attacks from y unit on z terrain, why not post a replay so we can all see it?
Kalajel wrote:I do believe we should lock this thread before it degenerates any further…
That may well be the best course of action, before this dissolves into a flamewar or another RNG discussion thread.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Kalajel wrote:I do believe we should lock this thread before it degenerates any further…

Just a quick note: rather than saying such things here, if you (or anyone, actually) wants to bring a problem thread to the attention to the mods, please use the "report post" button! That way when we get online, we can quickly see problem threads or spam, and not have to find threads after they've been blown out of control. While back-seat modding isn't frowned upon here, sometimes letting the mod team/devs know about a thread will be as/more useful.

To answer your comment, I believe that locking this thread before the OP can respond would be a disservice to him. A better solution is for people to not post in this thread, if unable to control their urge to be unhelpful. Consider this thread Soft-Locked until the OP replies. If he doesn't this thread will just fall into obscurity, so either way the issue is dealt with.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Hmm, true. Being a mod on other forums I should've known better, I really don,t have any excuses… However, I'm afraid that the OP may have been "chased away" by some of the response his post generated…
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Well I would have liked to post this sooner as it is on-topic, but my record worst is 10 consecutive magical misses. That was quite upsetting!
It was during a survival xtreme game, which explains why I would have had that many magical attacks.

The only thing I have to top that is another survival xtreme game. For those of you who aren't familiar with SX, you boost 1 units stats repeatedly to slaughter masses of AI. Far into the game, my unit's stats were really high (I can't remember exactly) but it was probably something along the lines of 34-17 or something and magical. My chance to kill the enemy was 99.9%. I only needed like 4 hits to do it so I continued on like normal and I was quite surprised when I failed.

So those are my records. Too bad I didn't save the replay for the second one, because looking back on it is pretty amusing. I would like to see my stats again! :lol2:
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries