Which is your favortie race to play and why?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Frogger5

Re: Which is your favortie race to play and why?

Post by Frogger5 »

Favorite faction? Golly thats a hard one. Probably elves, cus they're great for killing orcs, and killing orcs is fun.
Loyalists as well, love the spearman line.

I love horsemen though, they're awesome. And I also love assassins and rangers. Yer, love those guys. :D
Actually lately I've found myself taking a liking to thiefs, probably cus I only just descovered that they do double damage when surrounding a unit. :oops:

Ok just one more thing, I created a scenario with yetis against lvl 1 undead, it was great fun. Normally I hate fighting undead, but when I did that, BAM! one hit and they're toast. :lol2:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Drakes & Northerners.
Bialo224

Post by Bialo224 »

Mine would have to be the Free Saurians. I like the variety within the unit choice.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Hey wait a minute, this is any faction we happen to like playing as, not just the default ones?

In that case, my favorite is the Aragwaith from IftU. Dunno why, but I love those guys. :D
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

You didn't exactly wait for an answer to your question.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

The question was meant to convey that I had noticed that other people were voting for UMC factions and I didn't realize originally that those counted.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Ah yes, slight miscommunication lol.

sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Hey wait a minute, this is any faction we happen to like playing as, not just the default ones?

In that case, my favorite is the Aragwaith from IftU. Dunno why, but I love those guys. :D
I love them too. They have high defenses and decent attacks.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
silent

Post by silent »

sur.nhm wrote:
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Hey wait a minute, this is any faction we happen to like playing as, not just the default ones?

I love them too. They have high defenses and decent attacks.
...what?

last time I played them, that was not the case. Great attack yes but rather low HP, short of a resilient army, and even then.

But have to vote for them myself as a non-default faction. A sorcerer(ess) is a real god-send in the latter stage of IftU. healing, teleport (not needed but still), 6mp and a good ranged attack, as well as ok melee makes it great, the other units are pretty good too, but the level 3 sorceress is just a huge stand-out.

as for default, these days it would be loyalists. I really like the flexibility in the unit choices and a cavalry heavy usage due to great def and mobility. Undead would be a close second I guess though, since it is quite fun to go heavy in level 0 usage, especially vs defensive opponents :P
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You're confusing defense (chance-to-not-be-hit) with staying power. An elvish shaman in a forest has 70% defense. A cavalryman never has more than 40%. Nevertheless, you generally want the latter for holding a line.
Ferrous

Post by Ferrous »

Knalgans are my preference. Ghosts can be a problem sometimes if I'm not being careful (especially since they counter ulfs rather well, the DA killer), but their tactical advantages more than make up for it.

Dwarves are a little slow and obviously not optimal on terrain that's not mountain/hill/keep, but the human units compliment their weaknesses quite well. It's almost a matter of pride to me that my most used/favorite faction doesn't have any leadership, healing, cold, fire, arcane, magical or marksmanship capabilities, and yet they are easily my most effective race.
silent

Post by silent »

AI: whoops meant average dodge as well (as in similar to the loyalists)
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Ferrous wrote:Knalgans are my preference. Ghosts can be a problem sometimes if I'm not being careful (especially since they counter ulfs rather well, the DA killer), but their tactical advantages more than make up for it.

Dwarves are a little slow and obviously not optimal on terrain that's not mountain/hill/keep, but the human units compliment their weaknesses quite well. It's almost a matter of pride to me that my most used/favorite faction doesn't have any leadership, healing, cold, fire, arcane, magical or marksmanship capabilities, and yet they are easily my most effective race.
ummm.... as a matter of fact the huntsman (lvl 3 poacher) has marksman... :eng:
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Well if you include UMF I'd add the Nightmares, the Windsong, and the Devlings to my list.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Ferrous

Post by Ferrous »

sur.nhm wrote:ummm.... as a matter of fact the huntsman (lvl 3 poacher) has marksman... :eng:
...details.