iPhone version support/feedback thread: Ep. 3

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Re: iPhone port, Episode 3

Post by Dave »

skunkmeadowjr wrote:wondering how to acess the command
line. Is that possible?
You do realize this is an iPhone you're talking about, right?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
skunkmeadowjr

Post by skunkmeadowjr »

Sorry, what I meant was over here: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CommandMode. It's ok it you can't, was just being curious.
-skunkmeadowjr
pasido

Post by pasido »

Main problem for me is lag and semi unresponsive controls; otherwise, great job on the port.

Also, I dont know if its in it or not, but you should advertise about the computer version of Wesnoth in game.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Due to me procrstinating my work, I have been looking around the web at the reactions to the iphone/ipad version of Wesnoth; and I have one comment to make from other people's reactions.

I really don't want to come off as a complete arse here... I haven't played or seen either version but I understand Kyle has, and continues to put a lot of effort into both versions and I in no way mean to belittle his work, however...

Wesnoth is not very well known to the greater gaming community and 'Apps' are a device that allows less mainstream media to reach the masses - which Wesnoth is certainly doing. After reading a few comments it appears that very few of these new found fans are aware of the massive endeavour of the original developers behind the desktop version of Wesnoth. One person even posted on the forum of how (paraphrased slightly) "Kyle was offering the desktop version for free on his website".

Now, my real issue here is that perhaps Kyle is not doing enough to promote 'original' Wesnoth. Kyle responded to the post that I quoted above, relating to a different issue, and completley glossed over the fact that he is not the developer.

Again, perhaps I'm just coming across as ungrateful and an arse; but I just wanted to see what others thought?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

AppStore description:

"Battle for Wesnoth is the official port [...]"
"To find out more about the game or to play the PC/Mac version for free, please visit http://www.wesnoth.org"

In-game About page:

"For iPad support, please email support@kylepoole.com
For general Wesnoth support, please visit http://www.wesnoth.org

In July 2003, David White released the first version of Wesnoth for the PC. Since then, many people have joined the project, contributing in very different ways. For a full list of contributors, please see http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Credits"
[... GPL copyright stuff]

If you would care to suggest improvements, please go ahead...
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I'm by no means trying to suggest that you are trying to steal the credit :)

I'm mainly referring to the fact that there seems to be a lot of misconception on the part of the users (and I had seen your message about the fact that it is a port).

As for suggestions; perhaps making one of the first lines in the description talk about how the iphone/ipad version is a port of the desktop version.

Again, apologies if I was a bit rude :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

There are always misconceptions about the way that software is developed, and especially so for a project like Wesnoth, since many end users are unlikely to know that Open Source games even exist.

I think that Kyle has actually done an excellent job of showing how a game like Wesnoth can be marketed on the iPhone, balancing all considerations appropriately. There will be some misunderstandings still, though many people who found out about Wesnoth through the app store have ended up here.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Well, part of the problem is:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-f ... 91963?mt=8

"Battle for Wesnoth By Kyle Poole"
"Kyle Poole Web Site" -> wesnoth.org

I mean, those two are outright false. Sure, it's Apple's fault and not Kyle's fault, but if you wanted to prioritize fixing those false statements, one possible solution would be to change your publisher name to something like "Wesnoth Project". There are probably technical reasons for why you don't do that, so I'm not blaming you, and I'm just pointing out a possible source of confusion.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I think Dave and Zarel are phrasing this much better than I am!

The real 'issue' I see with the misconceptions are that there could be people out there who would get involved in the development but of course, don't know it exists.

Plus, one of my personal quirks is that I hate to see people missing out on credit where it's due (and certainly I deserve no credit for any part of Wesnoth =])

But as Dave said, misconceptions are going to happen and Kyle has done a fantastic job; I just think that more could be done to let users know about the desktop versions.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

I wouldn't say listing "Seller: Kyle Poole" is false at all. Battle for Wesnoth for iPhone and iPad was ported entirely by me, with almost 10 months fulltime work so far. I am in fact the publisher, seller, developer for Wesnoth on iPhone. Would you rather have "Kyle Poole website" go to my personal page, rather than wesnoth.org? No, I will not change my name to Wesnoth. I've gotten used to answering "Hey, Kyle!" and it would take too long to get used to "Hey, Wesnoth!".... Although.... It would be cool if I could say... "The name's Wesnoth. Battle for Wesnoth. Now give me some dwarvish ale, shaken not stirred!" :lol2:

BTW, many more open source projects have approached me to port their games to iPhone and iPad. Wesnoth is a shining example of how an open source game can be successful and gain a whole new user base by expanding onto new platforms.

Anyways, the next iPhone/iPad episode will feature saved game syncing with desktop versions, which will further promote the desktop builds...
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Okay, I'm definitely going to legally change my last name to Wesnoth when I'm of age :P
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

KylePoole wrote:I wouldn't say listing "Seller: Kyle Poole" is false at all.
No, which is why I never said it was. I did, however, say that "by Kyle Poole" is at least somewhat misleading (and in a far larger font than "Seller: Kyle Poole"), and listing wesnoth.org as your website is outright misleading. It may be true that the reasons those are false or misleading is because of limitations imposed by Apple, but that doesn't change their veracity.
KylePoole wrote:Battle for Wesnoth for iPhone and iPad was ported entirely by me, with almost 10 months fulltime work so far.
And no one's denied that.
KylePoole wrote:I am in fact the publisher, seller, developer for Wesnoth on iPhone. Would you rather have "Kyle Poole website" go to my personal page, rather than wesnoth.org? No, I will not change my name to Wesnoth. I've gotten used to answering "Hey, Kyle!" and it would take too long to get used to "Hey, Wesnoth!".... Although.... It would be cool if I could say... "The name's Wesnoth. Battle for Wesnoth. Now give me some dwarvish ale, shaken not stirred!" :lol2:
No, I think it would be preferable for the text "Kyle Poole website" to be changed to "Battle for Wesnoth website". If that cannot be done, then, well, my exact words were "there are probably technical reasons for why you don't do that, so I'm not blaming you, and I'm just pointing out a possible source of confusion", and I stand behind them.
KylePoole wrote:BTW, many more open source projects have approached me to port their games to iPhone and iPad. Wesnoth is a shining example of how an open source game can be successful and gain a whole new user base by expanding onto new platforms.
Wesnoth is a shining example of how the lack of popularity of open source games have more to do with their lack of promotion than how fun they are.

(Yes, I'm still kind of bitter about that. :| Not blaming you, though; that one's not your fault, either.)
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Wesnoth has "almost 4 million downloads" so I wouldn't say there is a lack of popularity there...
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

KylePoole wrote:Wesnoth has "almost 4 million downloads" so I wouldn't say there is a lack of popularity there...
Compared to the equivalent games by the "big" companies?
norbert

Post by norbert »

Unnheulu wrote:
KylePoole wrote:Wesnoth has "almost 4 million downloads" so [...]
Compared to the equivalent games by the "big" companies?
Note that this number (≈3.84 million) is about downloads from SF.net.
Spoiler:
It does not include downloads via apt-get (>), on (live) CDs, via the Apple Store, and so on.
Someone should contact the Debian folks and ask about the apt stats... :)
[Edit: most folks probably disable the popcon.]