Trolls

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Demosthenes

Trolls

Post by Demosthenes »

Hey are there any eras with trolls as a race? I searched around a little and couldn't find one in Add ons. Thanks

-Demos
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Trolls

Post by Ken_Oh »

Trolls are a race in the default era.
Des

Post by Des »

I’m pretty sure Demosthenes here was asking if any era included an entire faction comprised of Trolls; in which case, I cannot think of any that does.

But technically Ken_Oh is right. The default era has them as a race :lol2:
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

The Tamers era has two custom trolls race.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mnewton1 wrote:The Tamers era has two custom trolls race.
Indeed, readily available from the add-on server.

Thread reference for the curious: Trolls
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

You can also play as a Troll in Wesband, if you so choose.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
IPS

Post by IPS »

A curius thing in default era is there is only 1 troll recruit (the troll whelp)

But, any era haves more lv1 trolls units, Its curius... The poor trolls are forgotten? :augh: .... :roll:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

IPS wrote:A curius thing in default era is there is only 1 troll recruit (the troll whelp)

But, any era haves more lv1 trolls units, Its curius... The poor trolls are forgotten? :augh: .... :roll:
Well, presumably there's a good reason for having only one type of troll recruit in terms of balance. The trolls are really just a part of a predominantly orcish faction, which fits with the typical depiction of trolls in fantasy as not very bright, and thus not really a civilization in their own right.

Though the higher level troll units are pretty awesome. The Rocklobber is particularly nasty, due to its ability to potentially deal out nasty retaliation weather you attack it with ranged or melee weaponry. Also, I think there's a type of troll mage in the campaign Under the Burning Suns.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
silent

Post by silent »

The Great Rings wrote:
IPS wrote:A curius thing in default era is there is only 1 troll recruit (the troll whelp)

Well, presumably there's a good reason for having only one type of troll recruit in terms of balance. The trolls are really just a part of a predominantly orcish faction, which fits with the typical depiction of trolls in fantasy as not very bright, and thus not really a civilization in their own right.

Though the higher level troll units are pretty awesome. The Rocklobber is particularly nasty, due to its ability to potentially deal out nasty retaliation weather you attack it with ranged or melee weaponry. Also, I think there's a type of troll mage in the campaign Under the Burning Suns.
Yes it is briefly possible to control a troll shaman (level 2) in UtBS, if you ally with the trolls
If you don't, you get to fight against them, as well as in DiD, and LoW. There may be others too, but I forget
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The default era, as noted already, has factions which contain units with the idea of balance in mind, not to satisfy any particular notion of uniformity. There are other points that people raise concerning the makeup of other factions as well, but do keep this in mind.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Rya

Post by Rya »

Hey are you the guy who always only builds trolls.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There are multiple of those unfortunately.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

My era (Longbow's_MP_era) lets you play trolls as a faction on its own.

You can only recruit the whelp, but your leader can be a hero, shaman, normal L2 troll or rocklobber IIRC.
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Velensk wrote:There are multiple of those unfortunately.
And they seem to have found the secret to effectively multiply themselves...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Rya wrote:Hey are you the guy who always only builds trolls.
Are they taking "trolling" quite literally?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]