The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gestalt

Re: The official iPhone port thread

Post by Gestalt »

Maeks wrote:That's happening to me on the North Elves level of Heir to the Throne, it has pretty much become unplayable. It takes like 3 minutes to load the scenario, and 2/3 times it crashes dring or immediately after it has finished loading. And if it doesn't crashthen, it crashes during the next turn.

Kyle seems to be working on fixes that will probably solve this problem, like getting rid ofthe replay feature, etc. And I look forward to it.
Yes, I was unable to complete HTTT because of this bug. And then I went and accidentally erased my save of this scenario, so it means I'll have to redo HTTT in the future (not necessarily a bad thing!).

The good news is that since then I've been able to successfully complete many campaigns, including An Orcish Incursion, A Tale of Two Brothers, Liberty (really liked this one!), and, most recently, Hammer of Thursagan. Regarding the latter campaign, there were some very long save times between turns (2-5 minutes). I waited them out, though, and eventually made it to the end of the campaign (and somehow it was still enjoyable).

By the way, I know the coder for this (Kyle Poole) has received a lot of flack (read some of the posts on touch arcade), and I can undertsand players frustrtion when they play through a campaign only to find that because of some bug they can't continue. But I'm sure this has been no simple task. You deserve a lot of credit Kyle for your patience and perseverence in the face of all the criticism.
Maeks

Post by Maeks »

Haha, it finally occurred to me "oh, HttT isn't the ONLY campaign, Ill just play another one until the next update comes out.

Which helps.

There's mostly that one guy who is making a big deal and giving Kyle crap. I just ignore him
JKT

Post by JKT »

Thanks for the port but it has become unplayable for me in HttT as well with a crash every few moves, regardless of whether or not I have just restarted my iPhone 3G, cleared memory or deleted all auto-saves.

The one thing I haven't done is delete the start of scenario games for each part of each campaign I've played (Tutorial, TSG and HttT). This is because I can't as the interface is now really, really sluggish to do so and also because it also often causes a crash. However, I have managed to delete all my turns and auto-saves for each after a lot of hard effort!

Things that are almost certain to cause a crash for me, either immediately or very soon after, are:

1. Any dialogue that requires a choice to be made.
2. Any mage lightning bolt or other magic effect that uses a vertical graphic from the top of the screen.
3. Trying to change the file name on a Save (the appearance of the iPhones keyboard almost always causes a crash).
4. Any dialogues that are more than a few text boxes long.

Fwiw, the two scenarios in HttT that have given me the most grief (sorry, I have forgotten their names) are:

1. The one where an orcish fortress (blue flag) occupies the centre of the vertical playing field, and a dark lord (or whatever he is called, green flag) is located in a cave at the top, sending waves of skeletons down the playing field.

2. The next one where there are two Orc fortresses that need to be defeated, with lots of ambushes occurring if you wander into any of the hills and mountains that occupy most of the map.

The former was bad for crashing but I eventually managed to finish it, the latter is essentially unplayable after 7 turns.

Anyway, assuming the memory and crashing issues are solved, a feature request for any future developments:

Some way to export (and import) your save games to your desktop so you can play your games on there as well as on the iPhone.
Last edited by JKT on January 14th, 2010, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

JKT wrote:2. The next one where there are two Orc fortresses that need to be defeated, with lots of ambushes occurring if you wander into any of the hills and mountains that occupy most of the map.
You only need to defeat the eastern orc in this scenario.
JKT

Post by JKT »

Yep, you're right - my mistake. The two scenarios I described are called Battle for Elensefar and Crossroads, respectively.
JKT

Post by JKT »

Managed to progress further by deleting all saved games other than those from HttT. Perhaps more effective, though, was turning off the halo/special effects (lightning bolts, etc.) which makes the game less visually appealing but far more stable. Still crashes but much less often.
Dakaa

Post by Dakaa »

wesnoth is not playable, it's slow, disappointment , update it man.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Oh yes Mr. Wizard, he's just going to snap his fingers and...
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

The Episode 3 update will be submitted today! Apple's approval times have been drastically improved, so it should be live in a day or two...
Dynamo-Nath

Post by Dynamo-Nath »

Just wanted to add, keep up the good work Kyle. Thanks to your iphone version I found the wonderful pc version and all its associated wonders!
Bialo224

Post by Bialo224 »

I would just like to compliment kyle on the MAJOR improvements I've noticed in the Iphone port. The first time i dowloaded the game (version 1.0) I was extremely disappointed. The gameplay was slow, had many crashes, and was hardly playable. I eventually deleted it out of frustration. And recently I have redownloaded with the hope that it has been improved. And let me tell you, it has. Before, I could barely manage to beat a scenario of TSG because it crashed almost every turn, now however, I managed to play through UtBS without a single crash. Sure there was some slowdown, but it hardly hindered the game play. Way to go with the improvements and keep em comin.
mof-ia

Post by mof-ia »

theres a pc version of wesnoth. well than i can tell my cousin to buy it. so whats goning on right now are we in some kind of conversation that i have been misssing out on.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

The PC version came before the IPhone one. The PC version is free (as in beer and as in freedom). You can find it just by clicking Home at the top and then clicking the appropriate download link. The only reason the IPhone port costs money is so that he can put it in the Apple store and you don't have to hack your IPhone in order to play it (at least that is my understanding of it). But he really deserves it anyways for taking this on all by himself. There's also a Mac version and a Linux version and you can play it on PSP or PS3 by installing linux on those.
mof-ia

Post by mof-ia »

hay gambit thanks for helping me
spod

Post by spod »

I know this problem has been mentioned before, but I've searched this forum for some hours, and tried all the remedies suggested, with no effect.
I have an iPhone 3GS with LOADS of free memory.
I downloaded the Wesnoth free app, then the full Wesnoth for £2.99, just a couple of days ago.
I'm having the "crash at end of scenario" problem. It happened in the same place on the free app too, only I didn't realise it was a bug. I thought it was just an abrupt end to the free trial. :roll:
It always happens at the end of the second episode of The South Guard.

Latest news: I finally got an autosave for the third episode: A Desperate Errand, but when I try to load it, I get the message: "The file you have tried to load is corrupt"

It's really dull trying to get this game to work. It's a shame, because I've really enjoyed playing it.
Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

All the best,
Spod