The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dietlama

Re: Wesnoth for iPhone out now!

Post by Dietlama »

Actually was going to download the free version. Couldn't take the crashing anymore. But when I clicked on applications in iTunes, there it was!
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

Hi Kyle.
I've purchased the game in the app. store on the first day it was released and everything is working ok,updates are good as well,just great work.
But i've got one question: will you add any multiplayer eras in the game?For example if you'd add the Ageless Heroes era i think lots of people would buy this app and enjoy it because it would be really hard to find another tbs with such amount of playable factions(42,but i might be wrong should be something around 40) and every single one is different from another.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Excellent timing on that update, Kyle! I'm flying from New York to Sydney tomorrow afternoon, and could use a little entertainment along the way. The newly available update should do admirably. ;-)

Incidentally, Arantir, the most likely reason that "Ageless Era" has not been included is that it is hopelessly unbalanced - balancing 6 factions against each other is tough enough; balancing 40 or so is next to impossible. Also, the sprite and animation quality for most factions is nowhere near the quality of the default factions; frankly, they don't show Wesnoth at its finest.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

just got it and it's a massive improvement. well done Kyle.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
Max

Post by Max »

Sangel wrote:Incidentally, Arantir, the most likely reason that "Ageless Era" has not been included is that it is hopelessly unbalanced - balancing 6 factions against each other is tough enough; balancing 40 or so is next to impossible. Also, the sprite and animation quality for most factions is nowhere near the quality of the default factions; frankly, they don't show Wesnoth at its finest.
even with all the performance/memory improvements Kyle has accomplished i really doubt that it would run smoothly. Ageless Era has 1800 cfg files (without any addons there are ~900 in the original game). at least older iphones would just run out of memory...
aegil

Post by aegil »

Wow kylepoole, this 1.02 update has made the game SOOO much smoother to play and the buttons seem so much easier to use now.

I can't thank you enough! I'm so happy this came out before the holiday too. I now have something to play while visiting relatives.

Thanks again, pat yourself on the back for a job well done!
justice7

Post by justice7 »

love this iphone app, it is by far my favourite game on the iphone.

I'm running into the crash at the end of scenario glitch, and i've got the updated version as well. Any workarounds so i can continue my campaign?
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

If you are still getting a crash at end of scenario bug:

1. Please let me know which scenario it is
2. Delete most of your old saved games that you don't need
3. Go into preferences and turn off "Save Replays"
4. Save the game right before you will end the scenario
5. If it still crashes, load the new saved game and try again
justice7

Post by justice7 »

TSG - Born to the Banner , winning this scenario causes the crash (upon loading the next mission). It does not create a new autosave.

I'll try your suggestions for a workaround. Thanks for the response!
justice7

Post by justice7 »

the above suggestions worked, I did also however restart my phone since I tried last.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

IFtU has a lot of maps w/ large scale battles.

Large battles require lots of units which in turn make the game lag.

On the one called beginning of the invasion or whatever, where you have to get Galas to hte bottom of the pass safely, the animation and game speed decreased like four tmes. Half the time, I couldn't even see unit graphics as they were just white rectangles, a function autoactivated I presume by extreme pressure for computation power. Not to mention frequent crashes, especially when I had to fight in a dense area with like 30 units onscreen at once.
justice7

Post by justice7 »

I was certainly happy to 'purchase' the Battle for Wesnoth port because the game has been so well run and developed over the years i've known about it. I am quite sure, that the iphone port will see the same level of care and updates to make it even better with time.

Great work, i really enjoy the game on the iphone
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Here's some bug screenshots. Some are from version 1, so they've probably been fixed. Some are from IftU, though, and probably still need to be fixed.
IMG_0172.png
IMG_0172.png (277.02 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
The bridge tiles seem disjointed.
IMG_0171.png
IMG_0171.png (334.21 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
The villages don't show up on snow. I think this has been fixed, though.
IMG_0170.png
IMG_0170.png (171.88 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
Ice tile fail. Think this has been fixed too.
IMG_0174.png
IMG_0174.png (131.05 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
Whenever a unit has 3 different attacks, the combat box shows up at the top of the screen instead of where it's supposed to, obscuring the unit stats.
IMG_0179.png
IMG_0179.png (199.96 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
The tiles Dark Hive and Hive from IftU don't work, leaving blank darkness. The terrain resists and all that work, but it looks disconcerting to be walking on black nothing.

Also, once I won a scenario and the screen went black, with the square-foggy overlay that kinda obscures your vision whenever you win. Not a big deal but probably isn't supposed to be that way. Also, some hexes like snow and snow mountains are tiling funny, especially when interacting with fog of war or shroud.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

Thanks for the screenshots Zerovirus! I'll work on the more annoying ones for the next update.
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

Couldn't reply earlier coz i didn't have internet access 4 a while.I guess you are right about the lack of balance in the ageless era and the fact that it uses heaps of memory but there's still at least one well-balanced(as i think) era called BEEM and it's 9mb instead of 33 or so for AE.maybe you'll include it in some of the future updates?
thnx,Arantir