New Wesnoth trailer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mabeenot

Re: New Wesnoth trailer

Post by mabeenot »

This is a great start. I like all but the second picture (horses crossing plains) which seems a little subdued compared to the graphic detail and action present in the other three pictures. I can't wait to see the in-game shots of unit artwork and animations.

Some ideas for "action" sequences:

*Drake Arbiter, Thrasher, and Warrior gang up on a Dwarvish Lord
*an undead leader recruiting units to show off the recruit animations
*dialogue from DiD scenario 3 (A Haunting in Winter) featuring new portrait for either a Ghost, Shadow, or Wraith
*Orchish Archer versus Elvish Archer
*Merman Warrior versus Naga Warrior
*Red Mage versus White Mage
*hordes of WCs surrounding a Grunt
*Wose burned down by a Drake Burner
*Thunderer, Thunderguard, or Dragonguard successfully firing at something
*Delfador's missile from DM compared with his lightning attack from HttT
*Troll Warrior crushing a Bowman or Spearman
*Orchish Assassin poisoning something
*Ulfserker killing a Dark Adept (mentioned previously by lotsofphil)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

mabeenot wrote:This is a great start. I like all but the second picture (horses crossing plains) which seems a little subdued compared to the graphic detail and action present in the other three pictures. I can't wait to see the in-game shots of unit artwork and animations.
It is more of the subdued screens, that's for sure. I'll think about substituting it.
mabeenot wrote:Some ideas for "action" sequences:
  • Drake Arbiter, Thrasher, and Warrior gang up on a Dwarvish Lord
  • an undead leader recruiting units to show off the recruit animations
  • dialogue from DiD scenario 3 (A Haunting in Winter) featuring new portrait for either a Ghost, Shadow, or Wraith
  • Orchish Archer versus Elvish Archer
  • Merman Warrior versus Naga Warrior
  • Red Mage versus White Mage
  • hordes of WCs surrounding a Grunt
  • Wose burned down by a Drake Burner
  • Thunderer, Thunderguard, or Dragonguard successfully firing at something
  • Delfador's missile from DM compared with his lightning attack from HttT
  • Troll Warrior crushing a Bowman or Spearman
  • Orchish Assassin poisoning something
  • Ulfserker killing a Dark Adept (mentioned previously by lotsofphil)
Excellent ideas! I'd love to incorporate this.

If you'd like (and it would be a great help), set up a game with these characters in them and save the reply and post it here. Then I can replay it record it into the trailer.

Obviously it would take a bit of time to do, but, if you're up for it, it would be awesome. (Just be careful not to use any labels or chat text as I don't want to have to strip it out from the replay manually.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A good start. A couple of suggestions:

1. Cut the long story screen sequence in the beginning quite a bit, either by shortening the duration of each part or by showing only one or two of them. Basically, it's boring to look at static pictures for a full 17 seconds as the beginning of a trailer.

2. Use 1.5x acceleration for the combat sequences. To me, those elves shooting their bows with no acceleration look...well, quite simply very choppy and laggy, and I don't think that's just because I'm used to 1.5x.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You'd be far better off focussing on gameplay rather than the story images - they say nothing about how the game works.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

zookeeper wrote: 2. Use 1.5x acceleration for the combat sequences. To me, those elves shooting their bows with no acceleration look...well, quite simply very choppy and laggy, and I don't think that's just because I'm used to 1.5x.
My main suggestion, too. Thanks for posting an interim version, very cool to see.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Acceleration would be good.

Also how about not making combat sequences too long, with multiple units attacking. Maybe its enough with one unit moving in and attacking. Or even cut the moving and later attacks, and just show one or two attacks/counter attacks.

Showing the units moving and the whole combat, and then another unit moving and another combat would make the video kinda slow. IMO, what needs to be shown is the combat animations on their in-game environment, not a replay (or part of it) of a player's turn.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

As far as the story picture intro goes, I agree with zookeeper that it should be shorter. IMO, the third and fourth pictures (2 horsemen in the sunlight and Dark Sorcerer with skeleton) would be a great intro by themselves. They're both fairly dramatic and provide a great contrast because one is vibrant and the other is dark.

Anyway, great start. I can't wait to see this finished :)
(I'll try to give a replay with a few things from that list. Sometime tomorrow afternoon...)
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Here was my first attempt at creating some of these action sequences (and others). It's all in the attached replay (1.7.6). Here's a rundown of things you might be able to use:

*Note: I didn't use any Drakes because the wing flapping hasn't been fixed in 1.7 yet

Undead recruit on turns 1 and 4 (turn 4 excludes units that don't have a unique recruit animation yet)

Turn 5:
Elvish archers v. orchish archer, orch loses on turn 6
Trolls and Revnant exchange blows, Revnant loses on turn 6
Undead kill grunt and take village

Turn 7:
Lich and deathblade avenge revanant by killing troll

Turn 8:
Skeleton upgrades to level 2

Turn 9:
Red Mage attacks White Mage and Knight finishes the job

Turns 9, 10, 11, & 12
Merman Warrior & Naga Warrior fight with Merman Netcaster joining

Turn 10:
Two leaders fall one after another

Turn 12:
Red mage kills a deathblade
the general falls
Attachments
4p_-_Siege_Castles_replay.gz
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Mabeenot: it has now. Download the animation utils macro and all the drake cfgs from trunk and you will see them how they are intended (well, almost, there's one more fix needed, but that should be done soon enough, and doesn't show unless they're in water). And you could still have used the clasher line ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hi Guys!

There is a new wesnoth trailer, based on 1.9, created by a student participating in GCI (Google Code-In).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3P39lppcH4
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Cool! :D I like it very much, the way the trailer demonstrate the (awesome) portraits along with (awesome) gameplay is nice, too.
R.I.P
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

Impressing. The trailer shows the the variety of the game and manages to transport the fantasy atmosphere. Great work.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

you should definitely show some of the animated water in there.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Pentarctagon wrote:you should definitely show some of the animated water in there.
The animated water is there, you basically just don't see it simply because it is lost due to compression. Use fullscreen in the 720p version to get an idea if it existing. You can eg see it in the utbs potion at the beach.