Conquest 1.1 AAR/Review

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IB

Conquest 1.1 AAR/Review

Post by IB »

I just played my first full game of Conquest 1.1 and thought I would do a turn by turn review of the game and examine in detail the first player advantage.

European 1.1 Map - 6 players
Player 1 - Red - IB
Player 2 - Blue - MoaB
Player 3 - Green - mihai
Player 4 - Purple - Blind_Wanderer
Player 5 - Black - orcslayer
Player 6 - Brown - sppeler

Turn 0 - Random spawns.

This map has 5 "corners" - Spain, UK, Scandinavia, Russia and Turkey. Italy doesn't count as it sucks. Having 5 corners normally one person out of the 6 will get royally screwed, usually the 5th or 6th player.
Last edited by IB on September 15th, 2009, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IB

Re: Conquest 1.1 AAR/Review

Post by IB »

Turn 1

As you can see from the previous post my units [red] are all over the place. Seeing I'm first player I have the advantage of laying claim to somewhere before anyone else. Turkey is full of everyone so thats off the table. I have nothing in russia. So that leaves uk, scand and spain. I can take 2 open villages in the uk before anyone else, 1 in spain and 1 in scan. I decide to go for the uk.

Which suits purple who want scand for themselves and green who has decided on spain. Blue naturally decided to focus on russia. Black was new to the game and decided to take spain as well. Brown also was a little new and decided to recruit all over the place.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 2

I take the empty villages in the uk and secure switzerland thanks to first turn advantage. Blue secures russia and expands his holdings in germany. Green secures spain. Purple secures scand. Black randomly suicides against everyone and brown does his best to secure france.

Green, purple and I worked out peacefully we each get a corner, blue got one as well because there was no one to stop him and the final corner no one got. Going for france was a very bad move by brown, he should have asked if he could have turkey, though he was pretty disadvantaged as the 6th player.
IB

Post by IB »

Turn 3

I continue to take the uk. Reinforce swit and kill brown in romania seeing he focused on france. I have 3/5 for the ukraine bonus. Blue reinforced russia and withdrew from germany to attack poland. Green got the spain bonus and annoyed purple by taking istanbul after I'd promised it to purple. Purple started taking scand and reinforced turkey. Black decided to annoy blue in russia. While brown attacked green in france and tried to take italy as well. Very bad idea seeing green now had the spain bonus.

Just incase you don't know where the bonuses are I've circled them.
IB

Post by IB »

Turn 4

I secure the uk and ukraine bonuses after working out a non-aggression pact with blue in russia. Blue secures the poland bonus and attacks black. Green attacks turkey and france. Purple counterattacks in turkey. Black peaces with blue and runs away. Brown continues to fight green in france and will take italy next turn.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 5

I have 3 bonuses, barely fought anyone so I have the most units and cash, I start to worry about people allying against me to take my spread out domains so I just reinforce everywhere. Blue reinforces russia as a reaction to my reinforcing ukraine and move to take russia, he will get it next turn. Green focuses on france and gives the balkans to purple. Purple gains scand, benelux and turkey bonuses and is only 1 german town away from that bonus too. He worries me. Black continues his retreat toward ukraine. Brown is doomed in france but continues the fight rather than giving france to green and retreating to italy, which I see as his only hope of not finishing 5th. Atleast he secures the italy bonus.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 6

I continue to reinforce, I'm friendly to purple and green and have a nap with blue and brown so there is really nowhere to expand. Blue gets the russia bonus and recuirts a general in response to my lieutenants guarding my border. Green pushes into france hard and makes blue lose his poland bonus. Guess blue should have put a lt. down there instead of getting a general. Purple secures the germany bonus he now has more income than me putting me in 2nd place.

Purple asks if I want to fight in the ukraine, I decline. I ask if I can have benelux seeing he now has the highest income. He says I can fight him for it. I ask about a swop switzerland for benelux, I'm willing to "tolerate" his higher income for a shorter border. He says no. I doubted he would. Then he says yes. Black reaches the ukraine with nowhere to go. Brown is doomed.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 7

I move my forces from switzerland to benelux on good faith, I was worried about a backstab from purple so I reinforced the uk as well as putting a general in the ukraine to counter blues general. Blue recruits a second general to defend russia, but barely defends poland. Green secures the france bonus and attacks poland. Purple takes switzerland and leaves benelux as promises, I go phew. Purple then builds up a large attack force in east germany to take poland, double phew. Black sucides his units on my general to finish 6th. Brown begs green for peace a little too late.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 8

I take benelux as agreed and reinforce ukraine due to blues 2nd general. Brown quits the game and I droid him, green was going to crush him in italy anyway. Blue puts his generals on the border with me and does a weak counterattack in poland. Pretty silly seeing purple has already announced his intentions to take poland. Green attacks poland and italy. Purple launches a full attack on poland and kills green in the process. Blue says he is doomed, I tell him to use more diplomacy.

IB

Post by IB »

Lets take a minute to look at the status of the game.
Black finished in 6th, Brown in 5th.

Code: Select all

Team   Gold Income Inf Elite Cav Lt Gen Unit$
Red       2     31   8    11   5  5   1   166
Blue      8     20   4     4   1  1   2    86
Green    33     28   2    11   1  1   0    55
Purple    1     47   8     2  10  6   0   154
Red and Purple are quite evenly matched, but purple is attacking blue and relations with green are iffy, meanwhile red is friendly with green and has a nap with blue.
IB

Post by IB »

Turn 9

I withdraw from benelux to the UK to signal my neutrality to purple, leaving a lt. on both villages. Blue and purple fight it out in russia while green takes italy. Blue wants me to take russia.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 10

An interesting turn of events. With blue wanting me to take russia, purple says he will fight me for it if I do. I wait for greens input on the situation as purple taking russia would make purple very powerful. Green decides in my favour, I offer to give him benelux after I get russia to keep the balance of power.

Purple agrees if I kill blue, but then he wants one russian village instead. I say fine as long as he gives switzerland to green. I move into russia. Blue attacks purple. Purple declines my suggestion as green attacks him in germany. He then agrees to let me have russia so he can focus on killing green.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 11

I take russia. Blue attacks purple. Green takes switzerland and pushes into germany. Purple blocks blue and puts up a token defence in germany. Purple is looking much weaker than previous turns. I'm well in first place and at peace with everyone. Unless green and purple ally now I've won.

IB

Post by IB »

Turn 12

I secure russia and leave holland, at first I was going to leave benelux to green, but purple is now losing badly to him so I leave it for him. I recruit a general in belgium so green doesn't take it. Blue continues to kill purple. Green reinforces. Purple counterattacks in germany. Green calls me a true diplomat. I say I take that as a grave insult. Purple agrees I have played the diplomacy game very well.

IB

Post by IB »

Status Time.

Code: Select all

Team   Gold Income Inf Elite Cav Lt Gen Unit$
Red      15     49   8    12   5 11   2   284
Blue      7      2   0     0   0  0   1    25
Green    59     35   0    13   1  3   1   114
Purple    0     43   4     0   8  7   0   149
Green and purple could easily team up and take me down, or ally with me for a easy 2nd place. Both players let feelings get in their way and fight to the death however. Fatigue sets in and purple concedes after finally killing blue. Green has no chance against me solo and settles for 2nd.
Attachments
Conquest_Europe_1.1-Auto-Save15.gz
(67.94 KiB) Downloaded 501 times